Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Boatz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Hi there, I played about 20 hours of the game so far so I thought I would give my feedback on things.

Races:

Some race skills seem to be a bit too imbalanced:

Flesh sacrifice the -con for this skill scales very steep. For characters that don't put a bunch of points into con that -1 con/2 levels scaling made my character paper thin. Why not keep this at a 10-15~% con cost? That way it scales but doesn't become unusable later on where it will leave me with 1 con at the end of the game.

Corpse eating - I found it nice that this sometimes gives skills, but later on none of the corpses seem to teach anything. Also the information you get from eating a corpse seems under utilized, and usually doesn't tell me anything important.

Encourage on the other hand has the reverse effect giving you a huge amount of free stats at later levels at only the cost of 1 AP. At end game this would be like giving everyone in the party 10 free levels worth of stats.

Lizard's Dragon blaze and Dwarf metamorph seem balanced the way they are, although metamorph could be made more interesting.

Spells:

Aoe is too large on contamination. Seems to hit the entire screen.

Fireblood : The poor thing can't attack and doesn't have any skills. Costs 3 memory slots too ouch

All magical disables and negative effects - Having them work 100% of the time as long as the enemy has no magical armor is a little too broken. Especially considering most enemies don't have any, or if they do, they have very little. They seem overall the be just stronger in general to physical disables.

Necromancer - skills are too weak

Hydra/Pyro/Warfare - far stronger than the others.

Stats:

Too few memory slots, especially later on when the better spells can cost 2-3 slots.

Stats feel like they are working against me when I level up. Specifically the current damage modifier going negative. Chance to hit becomes very low very fast when trying to play a hybrid character.

This makes it really hard to justify investing in anything other than your primary damage stat

Because of the stat penalties and stat caps based on level, dodge from stats will never be a reliable as you only receive dodge bonus once you break that negative modifier(and then it only effects +2 levels over that) capping at 10%. Anything less than hitting that cap and your dodge rate disappears.

Combat abilities:

The effects of leveling up a combat skill past level 1 seems underwhelming. Why not cap these at level 5 and give bigger bonuses at certain intervals(maybe 1, 3 and 5?), the +3-4% extra damage a level seems underwhelming the farther into the game you get.

Defence skills in particular have heavy diminishing returns. Anything past level 1 in these seems like a wasted point.

Civil abilities:

There isn't enough points for civil abilities. Seems like you can really only pick one to be relevant. Like as a rogue you can't level stealth and thievery or you will start running into chests you cant unlock or you wont be able to pickpocket anything at your level anymore. Love that theivery also affects lockpicking though.

STEALTH

making a section for this alone because it bugged me so much.

Combat desperately needs something like a surprise round for initiating in stealth. Maybe add a free turn with no action points at the start of combat when you initiate from stealth, where you can move the rest of your party into combat so they get turns like normal.

This is a problem because if I stealth up to an enemy and attack them to start a fight, then when my party joins combat the enemy goes twice before they can go. If I let my allies start combat then I try to sneak in and backstab then I go after the enemy goes twice.

Last edited by Boatz; 13/10/16 12:30 PM.
Originally Posted by Boatz
Too few memory slots, especially later on when the better spells can cost 2-3 slots.

Stats feel like they are working against me when I level up. Specifically the current damage modifier going negative. Chance to hit becomes very low very fast when trying to play a hybrid character.

This makes it really hard to justify investing in anything other than your primary damage stat

This... does anyone actually like this stat system? It feels not very well thought out, I'd even go so far as to say "placeholdery."

Chaotic neutral, not chaotic stupid.
B
Boatz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B

This... does anyone actually like this stat system? It feels not very well thought out, I'd even go so far as to say "placeholdery."

Yeah, its almost certainly atleast not working as intended or is just a placeholder. I looked at a lvl 1 character vs my lvl 7 character. going from 10 wis to 11 wis to a lvl 1 character adds +2.5 crit/+2.5 initiative. Going from 10 wis to 11 wis on my lvl 7 gives me like +0.4 crit/initiative. There is got to be some faulty math in there somewhere.

Even worse, as a physical damage character right now you can actually lose damage when you level up. This is because your physical skill damage is based on your weapon damage so when you level up your skills don't gain base damage and you lose some damage modifier.

Last edited by Boatz; 14/10/16 01:10 PM.
Wow, that's bad... It kinda makes me wish that stats were decided by level, Elder Scrolls style, so you could just be whatever you wanted...

Chaotic neutral, not chaotic stupid.
journeyman
journeyman
I expect a overhaul at some point for the stats. They are obviously placeholdery for a reason. They work as intended until level 7, the end of Act 1. The only Act we have. Once we get more acts and patches, I'm sure the scaling will get smoothed out.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard