Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Oct 2016
R
Rasly Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Joined: Oct 2016
This community is fucked up.

I open a topic, some trolls jump in it derail it, clearly offend me. And official people come in and talk about free speach and how they can't figure out who to ban, well how about one that started offending first? rocket science huh? You may like when people say you shit with your mouth, i don't. Then another guy comes in and instead of cleaning trolls just closes the topic.

If this community is just somebodys private circlejerk then i don't want to be any part of it and you all can go fuck yourself.

I used to have better opinion about Larian Studio.


Joined: Sep 2015
A
addict
Offline
addict
A
Joined: Sep 2015
Quote
This community is fucked up.

Quote
If this community is just somebodys private circlejerk then i don't want to be any part of it and you all can go fuck yourself.

Is this speech your vision of a community?


My mods for DOS 1 EE: FasterAnimations - QuietDay - Samaritan
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Duchess of Gorgombert
Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
If it makes you feel any better, the "guy" who locked the topic did so in response to someone making an unhelpful personal comment about you. As Raze said, we do believe in giving forum members a lot of freedom to express themselves in whatever way they see fit, but we draw the line at personal attacks and there were several of them in that topic, and were continuing after we'd asked them to stop.

Feel free to discuss stuff, but please keep it about the stuff and not other people. It's not really very productive and there are other places that are more accommodating of that sort of thing.


J'aime le fromage.
Joined: Dec 2015
C
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
C
Joined: Dec 2015
People's opinions on a public forum have nothing to do with Larian as a company, just as a heads up. In much the same way, a few people getting heated doesn't reflect on the community as a whole.

The locked thread you are talking about did explode quite quickly, but you have to understand why. The changes you were proposing would drastically alter a game that many people already absolutely love. People get very passionate about DOS, BECAUSE they love it. If you start proposing big changes to things people like as part of a game, its very possible for the passion they have for the game to overflow in a way that may not be helpful.

With these sorts of things, its best not to take it to heart. These forums are no ones "private circle jerk", its a bunch of people who love DOS and its best to treat them as such.

I'd also probably recommend that any new threads you make to be a little more welcoming, for some reason I get the sense you're angry in this one wink

Joined: Oct 2016
Location: Germany
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Oct 2016
Location: Germany
The problem was not his suggestions, it was more the fact that he said playing this game would be more traumatizing than having to fight and kill in a war in real life.

Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Support
Offline
Support
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Originally Posted by Rasly
And official people come in and talk about free speach

Correct.

Originally Posted by Rasly
and how they can't figure out who to ban

No, you completely missed the point. That was a rhetorical question about the implications of moderating on content. Banning the 'other' side based on arbitrary rules can easily be turned against 'your' side. Also, it would defeat the purpose of having an open forum, particularly one specifically for feedback.


Originally Posted by Rasly
well how about one that started offending first? rocket science huh?

So, you then? Depending on whether I side more with the second response than you?
Or are you faultless and your tone above reproach because you are 'right', and nobody could possibly have any justification for being offended at anything you say?


Originally Posted by Rasly
instead of cleaning trolls just closes the topic.

Do you honestly believe there could have been any constructive discussion in that topic, if not for 'trolls'? All you said was that was bad, you weren't going to explain why and it was worse than a real war. Other than 'troll' comments about the comparison to war, you just dismissed replies about realism and game mechanics, so what exactly was left to discuss?
There could be a discussion on this subject, but that particular topic didn't really get off on the right foot, and probably wasn't going to suddenly turn constructive.

Joined: Oct 2016
R
Rasly Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Joined: Oct 2016
Originally Posted by Raze
...
notsureiftrolling.jpg
So i said that i think that because of overuse of gore this game players may see more horrors then SOME solider in actual war. I don't believe that anyone can be stupid enough to take that as offencive.

And good job ignoring that shitting comments, i guess when people say that to you a lot you just don't take it as offencive. And actually i start to understand it, standarts here seems to be pretty low, to a point where saying that someone is shitting with their mouth is not an offencive anymore but just an usual way of saying hallo.

I actually believe this to be most important issue with the game, but whatever, if you want to make just another average product like Original Sin 1 was, it's you choice.

Joined: Oct 2016
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2016
As someone who read the topic in question, you're way out of line. Stop playing the victim. I could play the veteran card, since I am in fact one, but I don't have to; it doesn't take a soldier/marine/airman/sailor to recognize how ludicrous your statements in that thread were. Your position was ridiculous, people pointed it out, and your course of action is to...make another thread about how bad the community is and blame Larian?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're the issue here. If you can't handle your opinions being called stupid when they are, you don't belong on ANY internet forum of any kind. I've definitely had some heated fights about stuff in the game, but never do I take it personally. Most people here are here because they want this game to be the best it can be, and any arguments and insults are in that context.

But you apparently just want to use it as your whining safe space soapbox. Do us a favor and get banned already so we can discuss making the game better instead of entertaining your nonsense.

Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Support
Offline
Support
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Originally Posted by Rasly
So i said that i think that because of overuse of gore this game players may see more horrors then SOME solider in actual war.

Given that some soldiers in war never see active duty or deal with anyone returning from combat, and the game has a fantasy setting with magic and necromancy, that may be the case.
However, a representation of fantasy violence and gore is in no way comparable to actual violence and gore. That's why people claiming, over the last 40 years, that board games and cartoons and movies and computer games, etc, cause violence or satanism or moral decay have not had any actual causal link to justify such claims (in anyone old enough to distinguish fantasy from reality; of course young children will jump off couches acting out fight scenes because they want to be ninja turtles). There is some desensitizing effect in teens and adults, but not to the extent of removing the distinction between fantasy and reality.


Originally Posted by Rasly
I don't believe that anyone can be stupid enough to take that as offencive.

Try reading that sentence again.
Not only are you dismissing any objection to the comparison you made, you are calling anyone stupid if they don't agree with you on that. But you are totally not being offensive. Because you had the word 'some' in there, and that was obviously the key word, that invalidates any objection.


Originally Posted by Rasly
And good job ignoring that shitting comments

There were multiple posts in that topic about being civil. It is reasonable those in the topic who were not being civil recognize that fact, even if they still think they are in the right. You are the only one who has complained about the topic being locked, so are the only one I have needed to follow up on.

You also missed the point. Ignoring the trolling posts, do you think the topic could have become constructive?


Originally Posted by Rasly
i guess when people say that to you a lot you just don't take it as offencive.

No, I don't, in the rare case when something comparable has happened. It is generally a sign of a lack of intelligence, inability to reason and form coherent arguments, immaturity or laziness (or some combination). In general, it can be a reaction out of anger or frustration, possibly a miss-communication, or someone just having a bad day and needing to vent. The overwhelming majority of people do not resort to personal attacks or insults, though.


Originally Posted by Rasly
standarts here seems to be pretty low

So you want more moderation, but only against other people? You should still have free speech?

Have you noticed any other discussions here going downhill that fast? Do you think possibly, even if it was misinterpreted and you are entirely correct, there could have been something in your original post that started that topic off on the wrong foot? Or you are perfect and the community sucks?


Originally Posted by Rasly
I actually believe this to be most important issue with the game

Then discuss it. Avoid hyperbolic claims and be civil yourself, and if there are disruptions to the topic, someone as stupid as myself won't get so confused as to not know who to ban.


Originally Posted by Rasly
if you want to make just another average product like Original Sin 1 was

The aim is to do better, with every game.

Joined: Sep 2016
S
member
Offline
member
S
Joined: Sep 2016
frown. Raze is too good a person.

Joined: Oct 2016
R
Rasly Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Joined: Oct 2016
The point is, if you think i said something inapropriate you can say that without acting like a troll, obviously i didnt meant to offend and obviously that kid that responded wanted to offend. That is why i am right and you are wrong.

And i don't care about your feelings Shadovvolfe, i was speaking about graphics, and there are age restrictions for a reson, specialy in this case those restriction may be outdated. It may not effect your morals but it can effect you in other ways. As vometia stated, it can effect your dreams and for what? it dosn't give any realism or other value to the game, it is just bad level and story design that i think need to be enhanced.

Last edited by Rasly; 20/10/16 12:37 AM.
Joined: Oct 2016
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2016
Originally Posted by Rasly
The point is, if you think i said something inapropriate you can say that without acting like a troll, obviously i didnt meant to offend and obviously that kid that responded wanted to offend. That is why i am right and you are wrong.

And i don't care about your feelings Shadovvolfe, i was speaking about graphics, and there are age restrictions for a reson, specialy in this case those restriction may be outdated. It may not effect your morals but it can effect you in other ways. As vometia stated, it can effect your dreams and for what? it dosn't give any realism or other value to the game, it is just bad level and story design that i think need to be enhanced.


-Disagreeing with you isn't trolling. Just because people weren't nice about calling you out on your stupidity doesn't make it trolling either. Stop dismissing everyone as a troll and face reality.

-I didn't say anything about my feelings; I was in fact critiquing you for using this board as your own soapbox for yours, which no one cares about.

-It's affect not effect in this context.

-The violence pales in comparison to many, many other games, movies, and real life as a whole. I was in the Army and work in EMS now; you're talking out of your ass. This game isn't going to be traumatizing anyone remotely normal unless they're like 7 years old, in which case their parents need to be doing a better job anyway.

Games are art. Don't ask Larian to change the entire tone of their game just because you have delicate sensibilities. That's your problem and no one else's.

Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Duchess of Gorgombert
Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Originally Posted by Rasly
And i don't care about your feelings Shadovvolfe, i was speaking about graphics, and there are age restrictions for a reson, specialy in this case those restriction may be outdated. It may not effect your morals but it can effect you in other ways. As vometia stated, it can effect your dreams and for what? it dosn't give any realism or other value to the game, it is just bad level and story design that i think need to be enhanced.

Just to clarify, it was the story that gave me nightmares, the idea of innocent people unwittingly being led away to that horror and believing (or wanting to believe) it actually was a "cure", though no doubt the graphics played a part. But I have lots of nightmares, that was just a convenient theme for that particular one!

There is some gore in the game and admittedly I'm not an enormous fan, but it sets the scene and I'm more interested in there being trees and nice landscapes. One of the games I had the most trouble with was Beyond Divinity because it was so often grey and bleak. I found that harder to deal with than some pools of blood and Fort Joy's interior.


J'aime le fromage.
Joined: Oct 2016
R
Rasly Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Joined: Oct 2016
Originally Posted by Shadovvolfe
Disagreeing with you isn't trolling. Just because people weren't nice about calling you out on your stupidity doesn't make it trolling either. Stop dismissing everyone as a troll and face reality.

-I didn't say anything about my feelings; I was in fact critiquing you for using this board as your own soapbox for yours, which no one cares about.

-The violence pales in comparison to many, many other games, movies, and real life as a whole. I was in the Army and work in EMS now; you're talking out of your ass. This game isn't going to be traumatizing anyone remotely normal unless they're like 7 years old, in which case their parents need to be doing a better job anyway.

Games are art. Don't ask Larian to change the entire tone of their game just because you have delicate sensibilities. That's your problem and no one else's.

I never called EVERYONE troll and ... ah whatever i could go all day pointing out how retarded your post is but it realy not worth it. And i hope you are kidding about working in army, because it is scary to think that such dumb people are working in there, then again army has probably the lowest entry standards around and considering your mental performance nobody will let you near anythign important. And while you seems to not care what words people use to disagree with you: I think you should stop talking with your butt and thinking with your shit, because i would rather smell a pice of shit then read another idiotic comment from you, for quality reasons.

Originally Posted by vometia
There is some gore in the game and admittedly I'm not an enormous fan, but it sets the scene and I'm more interested in there being trees and nice landscapes.

I played lots of games and none of them comes close to that level of drama, both in side stories and visualy, except bethesda fallouts come close but even they clean the scene after some time.

Last edited by Rasly; 20/10/16 10:24 AM.
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Support
Offline
Support
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

So, are you still 'obviously' not meaning to offend? Are you still 'right'? That was the blanket justification you used above, that your intent was beyond reproach.

Not that you are the only one not being civil, and not attempting constructive criticism or discussion. So, this is addressed to everyone involved: feel free to continue trading petty insults, if you really don't have anything better to do. Pretty much nobody else cares; nobody's opinion will be swayed or mind changed. If it gets heated, grows, etc, it will be locked (with possible bans, if required). A new topic complaining about locking a completely unconstructive topic about an unconstructive topic being locked will just be deleted.

Joined: Oct 2016
R
Rasly Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Joined: Oct 2016
Originally Posted by Raze
unconstructive topic
I bet it will be funny to hear how you determine that, i personaly don't see any difference between my topic and any other topic in there that points out some flaws in game. Please explain me what makes my topic so unconstructive.

Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Support
Offline
Support
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

Really? Do you think there was constructive discussion in that topic, on your original point? Realism and game mechanics were brought up, which you simply dismissed. The difference between fantasy and reality was brought up, but not debated in the context of the game.
What proportion of posts would you say were on topic, rather than trolling, or warnings to be civil?

Joined: Oct 2016
R
Rasly Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Joined: Oct 2016
Originally Posted by Raze

Really? Do you think there was constructive discussion in that topic, on your original point? Realism and game mechanics were brought up, which you simply dismissed. The difference between fantasy and reality was brought up, but not debated in the context of the game.
What proportion of posts would you say were on topic, rather than trolling, or warnings to be civil?

I didn't asked you about discusion that was derailed by trolls that you defend. I asked about topic itself, that you say is unconstructive for some reason. Also you can't seriously say that it is because i disagreed with someone who disagreed with me, because basend on this every topic i saw on this bord is unconstructive.

Last edited by Rasly; 20/10/16 12:06 PM.
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Support
Offline
Support
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

The. Forum. Topic. Was. Unconstructive.

Actual topics of discussion can not be locked. Forum topics can be locked.

In referring to unconstructive topics being locked, I was clearly referring to forum topics.

I specifically invited you to create a new topic, minus the hyperbole, to discuss your original point.

Really? You are now going to characterize the topic as you disagreeing with someone who disagreed with you? That isn't how you described it earlier.

Joined: Oct 2016
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2016
Can we close this topic already? Clearly nothing constructive is being discussed...


Chaotic neutral, not chaotic stupid.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Nicou 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5