Next Thread
Print Thread
#594792 27/10/16 08:23 PM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
whenever i save, no matter if its auto, manual or quicksave, the game does save successfully, but it crashes right after, however it worked fine yesterday.

SatanChan #594796 27/10/16 08:52 PM
Support
Support

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs (especially anti-virus) before starting the game? Firewalls have caused conflicts (generally on loading screens, or during the save/load process) and and update to either program or the game could start causing a conflict.

If you check the Event Viewer, does that give an error code or 'Faulting Module' file name that might help identify the cause of the crash?
- click Start (or WinKey-R or WinKey-W in Win 8), then type "event viewer" into the search box. in Windows 10, 'event' should bring up 'View event logs'.
- after starting the Event Viewer, expand 'Windows Logs' in the left column and select 'Application'
- in the center column, look for a recent error (maybe sort by Date and Time) for the game
- check the information under the 'General' tab below the list of events, starting with "Faulting application name..."

Try browsing to the '..\Documents\Larian Studios' folder and rename the 'Divinity Original Sin 2' subfolder.
This folder contains the saved games, configuration files and a level cache folder. Deleting or renaming it will get the game to recreate it on startup; playing the game from a different Windows user account would effectively do the same thing.
After that, start D:OS 2, create a new profile and see if you can start a new game and save without crashing. If that works, exit and copy a couple saves from the renamed folder into the newly created profile's savegames folder. If that lets you load the saves and resave, move the rest of the saves over.
If a new profile doesn't help, delete the new My Documents D:OS 2 folder and rename the original back again.

SatanChan #594800 27/10/16 09:16 PM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
the faulting module says steam_api64.dll

SatanChan #594801 27/10/16 09:22 PM
Support
Support

Try exiting out of the Steam client, and starting the game directly from the '..\SteamApps\common\Divinity Original Sin 2\bin\EoCApp.exe' program file, by right clicking and running as administrator. Does that let you save without crashing?

Try deleting that dll file from the game's bin subfolder, verify local files (in the Steam library, right click on the game and select Properties, switch to the Local Files tab and then click on the 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache...' button), and then see if you can save.

SatanChan #634768 31/10/17 07:07 AM
I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
I have the exact same problem. started just a few hours ago.

my saves LOAD fine, but every time I try to save a new game, it CTD with no message.

everything had been working fine for weeks before this.

made it though most of reaper's coast, then saved my game and exited to go work in the garden.

come back, load up game... and now I can't save a game any more.

does NOT matter what save game I load, even from days ago.

if I try to save... bam, ctd.

nothing has changed, no new mods, nothing. just all of a sudden started doing this. I don't run antivirals as I have always monitored my files manually. there are no new programs running.

I'm totally baffled.

I even tried letting the game rebuild the entire profile, changed the mod order, waited 30 mins for the game to load the save, which worked fine.

...and still can't save.

I swear this game will be the end of me.

Last edited by Ichthyic; 31/10/17 07:09 AM.
SatanChan #641043 22/01/18 08:23 AM
C
stranger
stranger
C
[SOLVED] I just had this problem. Played 15h or so, delightful experience, no bugs until I quicksave, like I did every 5 minutes from the beginning of the game, and then with no reason crash to desktop. And this happened everytime from then.
No mods used, no antivirus firewall, tried to launch without steam client, administrator mode, tried everything mentionned by support, deleted all profile files except savegames.

Actually I was able to save with a name but no quicksave. So I figured out that this was a writing problem on the quicksave. I saved under a name, then deleted all my quicksaves, then I was able to quicksave again.

Hope this can help.

The game should handle this case. I have no idea why my quicksave was suddenly unwritable or something. (no cloud, didn't mess with the files at all, didn't do anything actually ! )

Otherwise what a damn great game. Fav :-)

SatanChan #641046 22/01/18 09:39 AM
Support
Support

Did saving continue to work once you made enough quicksaves to start overwriting the oldest ones (there are 5 kept by default, which can be increased up to 25 in the options)?

If you were able to overwrite a named save (if you tested that), it shouldn't be an issue with quicksaves.

Some other suggestions not mentioned above, or expanded upon (though they didn't help carolus):

Try creating a new profile, and then start a new game to test saving / quicksaving.

Shut down all non-essential programs before starting the game, especially anti-virus and any backup programs that may be monitoring the My Documents folder.
The crashing when quicksaving can be caused by backup or sync programs, if they lock the original save.
A few people have had BitDefender block the game from being able to create files and folders, which has can also cause similar problems. In that case, including both the game executable and Larian Studios My Documents folder in BitDefender's trusted app and directory sections should fix the problem (Advance Threat Defense, Ransomware Protection / Safe Files, Application Access).

Try browsing to the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2\LevelCache' folder and delete the contents. A corrupt file there can cause problems when saving or loading.

Try creating a new Windows administrator user account (either with the My Documents in the default location, or on a different drive, if available), switch to that account and try starting the game from there, directly from the executable.

Try doing a clean boot and then test the game. Click Start, or hit WinKey-R, type in msconfig and hit enter; in the General tab, click Selective Startup, uncheck Load startup items (if required) and leave Load system services and Use original boot configuration options checked. Next, click on the Services tab, check the box to Hide all Microsoft services, then click the Disable All button (maybe make a note of which are currently enabled/disabled), then click OK and reboot the computer.
Run msconfig again to switch back to the normal boot configuration.

SatanChan #641267 26/01/18 01:40 PM
C
stranger
stranger
C
Quick save did work well then for a few days.

Today though, after several hours of play without any problems, it suddenly happened again !

Just before though, I had a error message, who said something like "quicksave failed : error 532" (EDIT : i've seen 542 in an other thread and I believe it was it). I just tried to quicksave again after this, and then CTD.

sorry I'm not sure about the error number, because it didn't show again when I tried to quicksave, it justs crash to desktop.

it feels a bit like because the quicksave failed for some reason, then the file is unwritable or corrupted, so it crashes at trying it...

I solved it the same way as before : saved under a name, deleted all quicksaves, then I was able to quicksave again.

for information, my hard drive is quite new, never had any problem of save with any other software.

Last edited by carolus; 26/01/18 01:42 PM.
SatanChan #641321 27/01/18 11:41 AM
Support
Support

This should be fixed in the next update (no ETA yet, but it is currently being tested).

In the current version of the game (3.0.165.9), during the save process the original and temporary files can (rarely) not be removed properly when overwriting a save (leaving a backup of the lsv file, uncompressed files and a 'LevelCache' folder), which causes the problem the next time the game tries to overwrite that save.

Deleting the save (possibly after loading it and making a new manual save, if it wasn't going to be overwritten soon anyway) should help.

You can also check the relevant save folders in Windows Explorer, and for any affected, either delete/move the save (if it would be overwritten soon) or just the extra files and folder. Each save is a folder in the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2\PlayerProfiles\<ProfileName>\Savegames\Story' folder.
Normally each save folder contains an lsv and png file, named the same as the folder they are in (the png screenshot file being optional).

SatanChan #646591 05/06/18 04:22 AM
C
stranger
stranger
C
This is never getting fixed, is it?

SatanChan #646594 05/06/18 07:03 AM
Support
Support

It should already be fixed. Please email supportdos2@larian.com with the save that crashes when trying to overwrite it (or a Dropbox or Google drive link, etc).
Each save is a folder in the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2\PlayerProfiles\<ProfileName>\Savegames\Story' folder.
In Windows Explorer you can zip file(s) and folder(s) by right clicking on it/them and selecting 'Send To | Compressed (zipped) Folder'.

If this is the same issue, it is possible to check the save folders, and see if there are extra files in them, and separate/delete as required. The saves should just be a png screenshot file and lsv save file, having the same name as the save folders; any other files (globals.lsf or a levelcache folder conataining lsf files) are intended to be temporary, and should have been removed once the compressed lsv file was created.

Raze #646607 05/06/18 01:54 PM
C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Raze

It should already be fixed. Please email supportdos2@larian.com with the save that crashes when trying to overwrite it (or a Dropbox or Google drive link, etc).
Each save is a folder in the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2\PlayerProfiles\<ProfileName>\Savegames\Story' folder.
In Windows Explorer you can zip file(s) and folder(s) by right clicking on it/them and selecting 'Send To | Compressed (zipped) Folder'.

If this is the same issue, it is possible to check the save folders, and see if there are extra files in them, and separate/delete as required. The saves should just be a png screenshot file and lsv save file, having the same name as the save folders; any other files (globals.lsf or a levelcache folder conataining lsf files) are intended to be temporary, and should have been removed once the compressed lsv file was created.

Sending them will be difficult. What seems to be happening is that when I try to save, the save folder is created in the Temp folder and the .png file appears there, but the .lsv file never does. Doesn't seem to make a difference if I am quicksaving or trying to save a "named" file.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard