Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#594982 31/10/16 11:38 PM
error3 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I've spent a good bit of time investigating the crafting system and while it is far from complete, and has many features missing from DoS1, I have still found it worth using every game. There is a lot of potential for profit!

I've been updating the following wiki page with every crafting recipe I've discovered so far: Crafting_(DoS:2)
I added the "Value" section to the tables on that page in an effort to give a better idea of which items are worth crafting, with the intent to sell.

Of note, there is often little relation between the cost of the components and the cost of the resulting item.

This guide was written assuming a high-bartering character and selling to high-disposition NPCs. Some combinations may not be viable without these assumptions.

High-Yield Components
There are numerous high-yield crafting components that can easily slide under the radar. Be on the lookout for the following items that can appear randomly.
Legend: Buy all, Buy enough, Get 1

Broken Bottle (huge returns)
Empty Grenade
Empty Flask
Empty Canister
Intestines
Leather Scraps
Stardust Herb (Requires Mortar and Pestle)
Skull / Bone
Arrow head / Arrow shaft (keep equal #)
Potion Bottle
Most plants*
Fire Resistance Potion (requires arrow head/shaft)
Small Air Resistance Potion (requires arrow head/shaft)
Rope (buy equal to # of Leather scraps)
(buy equal number to Stardust Herbs)
Tongs / Cloth Scraps (buy in equal #)
Wooden Log
Wooden Branches
Shell / Sharp Stone (1 for each Branch)
Wooden Sticks / Bowstring (buy in equal #)
Ooze Barrel

*Of note, it is NOT worth purchasing Drundane, Yarrow Flower, Amadouvier, or Whisperwood for profit.

Component Vendors
There are also several vendors that consistently stock high-yield components.
Fort Joy:
Nebora (rope/bottles/leather/cloth etc.)
Hilde (empty grenades)
Dr. Leste (bottles and herbs)
Maol (empty grenades and nails)
Shelter:
Exter (arrow heads/shafts and empty flasks/grenades/canisters)

Best Combinations
Best to worst options will be listed when applicable.

Empty Grenades: Broken Bottle > Fire Essence > Nails
Broken Bottle offers the highest return with the lowest investment, but are hard to find. Nails can be obtained in abundance.

Empty Canister: Intestines > Tormented Soul > Earth Essence

Arrow head: Fire Resistance Potion > Small Air Resistance Potion > Arrow Shaft
Arrow heads must be mixed with shafts to produce high-value arrows. Intestines can make poison arrow heads but should be saved for Chemical Warfare grenades instead.

Pixie Dust
Stardust Herb + Mortar and Pestle -> Moon Dust
Bone or Skull + Mortar and Pestle -> Bone Dust
Moon Dust + Bone Dust -> Pixie Dust
In patch v3.0.5.530 there are no valid uses for Pixie Dust, so it should be sold.

Leather Scraps + Rope -> Backpack

Empty Flask + Ooze Barrel -> Ooze Flask
Doesn't consume the barrel. Empty Flask can be mixed with oil barrel but should not, as Oil Flask has much lower value.

Tongs + Cloth Scraps -> Big Tongs Roped Together

Branches
Wooden Log + Knife -> 2 Branches (and useless sawdust)
Wooden Branch + Shell or Sharp Stone -> Staff/Sword

Yarrow Flower + Minor Healing Potion -> Healing Elixir
It is not worth mixing Yarrow Flower with any more-expensive healing potion, nor is it worth purchasing Yarrow Flower just to mix.

Other potions and plants can generally be mixed and sold for a profit. Remember, the Fire Resistance and Small Air Resistance potions should be mixed with arrow heads and shafts when possible.

Tips for Greatest Profits

1. Disposition
Vendors offer better prices if their disposition towards the character is high.
It is worth giving items away for free to a vendor that is used often in order to secure better long-term prices.
The amount of goods/gold required to raise disposition varies per vendor. Of note, Gratinia in shelter will give disposition at a rate of 1 to 1, allowing for very good deals with only 100 value investment, while Zaleskar requires very large investments to gain disposition.
100 is the max effective disposition.

2. Bartering
Stack Bartering Civil points and +Bartering gear on the character who will be doing all of your buying and selling.
Bartering doesn't appear to have any cap on effectiveness.

3. Restocking
Vendors restock their wares and gold every level-up and every hour. Do the rounds and buy crafting mats and sell crafts whenever this happens.

Conclusion
It's possible to make a lot of money with crafting, and sometimes it is convenient to upgrade weapons this way, but there is still a lot to be desired.

Has anyone found any other good money-making combinations or useful crafts missed here? I'd love to hear what others have found.

Last edited by error3; 31/10/16 11:40 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Well, I never run out of lockpicks if I craft them myself (Nails + Repair Hammer)

veteran
veteran
Nice guide.

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
I added a couple new recipes to the wiki that aren't mentioned here.

error3 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ichthyic
I added a couple new recipes to the wiki that aren't mentioned here.

Thanks, great finds!
I'm glad there is a cheaper material alternative to creating wands than the expensive essences.

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
it also doesn't matter if you use ancient or regular skulls as to the result you get.

I thought maybe they should make it so ancient skulls give a small chance (10%) of making the wand uncommon with an extra bonus when you create it.

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
there is at least one empty barrel you can pick up and carry around with you, that gives the option to combine it with something, but I haven't found anything it combines with yet.

probably can "combine" it on a well or poison puddle to make a barrel of water or ooze?

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
...added a couple more recipes.

I guess nobody is bothering atm because "alpha", which makes sense really.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard