Page 1 of 2 1 2
#595538 13/11/16 11:44 PM
S
smokey Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
S
A minor suggestion, but one I think is worth mentioning, if chiefly to avoid unnecessary tedium.

The scenario: the battle is over, and everyone in your team is still alive. Two characters, however, have been damaged - let's say their health has been hit by 20% and 30% respectively.

How many times after battle have you had to stop, click on your healer person, click the healing spell, cast it on the injured party member, wait for the healing spell to recharge, then cast it on the other injured party member etc? When there's no threat whatsoever in sight...

Why not just automatically restore them all to full health after the fight is done? I'm not kidding that I always found this heal-cleanup to be a total pain in the ass after combat, which added literally nothing to the game.

Just something I thought I'd throw out anyways - minor, as I say. But it would be very much welcome.

D
stranger
stranger
D
There already is an out of combat quick heal, bedrolls. Pick up a bedroll, put it on your main character's hotbar. Click it and it heals like 90% of every characters HP instantly, no cast time nothing. And it has infinite uses, but a 3 second cooldown.

S
smokey Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
S
Yeah, but what I'm saying is you shouldn't need an item or a spell to heal up after combat. All health should be 100% after combat. There's nothing strategic, intellectual or entertaining about healing characters when combat is done. There's no sense of reward in having an item that gets only 90% of the job done, when you know the healing spell does it up to 100% for free. The problem is that it's boring and pointless to have to click the healing spell and 'heal up' your damaged party members. It's robotic and mindless, and I feel it doesn't belong in the game, unless you really like having to do this?? I certainly don't.

Support
Support

So there should be absolutely no consequences for doing poorly in combat? One hit point or 100%, it is all the same as long as the character makes it through alive? I've played games with that mechanic, and IMO it changes the tone of combat to be less strategic, because good enough is treated exactly the same as very good, or even perfect.
There is a sense of reward in building your characters and developing strategies so that you do not frequently need a lot of healing after combat.

S
smokey Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
S
That's your argument for keeping it? There's no intelligent, creative or interesting 'consequence' of having characters damaged after combat in this game. Because the consequence of damaged party members is - 'you got damaged - now we're going to bore you by making you click and heal over and over until everyone is back to full health'.

You've played games with auto-heal where this mechanic made the combat less strategic as result?? Eh... Did you read that sentence before you typed it, chief?

'because good enough is treated exactly the same as very good, or even perfect' makes no grammatical or logical sense whatsoever, either way. Healing after combat has absolutely no impact on strategy during combat - unless you're the type of person who says to themselves: 'god, I hope I can keep everyone at 100% until the battle's end, because if I don't I face the ultimate challenge of repetitively hovering over a heal icon, clicking on a character portrait and waiting for the heal icon to recharge. Again. And again.'

enthusiast
enthusiast
There's a minor issue with your proposition there, buddy old pal old friend. You see, if you just auto-heal then there's no risk of you forgetting to heal. If you never have to manually heal out of combat, you never have to worry about traps unless for some reason the traps or barriers are gonna auto-kill you, which is usually considered bad game design.

Therefor, always being at 100% HP out of combat is a bad idea because it removes challenge and strategy from a large number of things in the game. Such as back-to-back encounters, or traps.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Raze
So there should be absolutely no consequences for doing poorly in combat?

The consequence of doing poorly in combat is losing combat.

There's so many ways to get back to full HP after a fight at no cost and so many bullshit ways for the game to kill your party even though you'd survive otherwise(like running through fire to get back in formation) that it's simply a case of bad design not to have all the harmful surfaces cleared and damage removed immediately when the fight ends.

Originally Posted by TraceChaos
Therefor, always being at 100% HP out of combat is a bad idea because it removes challenge and strategy from a large number of things in the game. Such as back-to-back encounters, or traps.

Divinity does not have any back-to-back encounters, if a new wave of enemies is meant to arrive without giving you prep-time, it'll do it within the same battle.

Almost all the traps in the first D:OS would either kill you immediately, or destroy something of value.
There rarely was a case of a trap failing to serve it's purpose based on your current HP.

Basically, none of those are issues of balance, but rather issues of design.

S
smokey Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
S
@TraceChaos - where again did I write you should always be at 100% health after combat? Oh that's right: nowhere whatsoever. I said you should auto-heal to 100% health after combat, because everyone manual-heals to 100% after combat anyway. And the manual-heal is mindless. This has no bearing on the effect of traps etc. This is just automating a mindless task. Simple. As.

@Naqel - thanks be to god there are still intelligent people in the online world, because I need to go to bed and I'd like to think there are still rationale people in cyberspace... Everything you typed gets the +1 from me.

Goodnight, people!

apprentice
apprentice
Yes, there are intelligent people, you are not one of them. The only difference between auto-healing and auto-winning all battles is in the degree of 'convenience'. But why should I be surprised, when I read many times in many forums that people enjoy the AI doing everything, they just watch. No thank you. I want to play, not to watch.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by smokey
Yeah, but what I'm saying is you shouldn't need an item or a spell to heal up after combat. All health should be 100% after combat. There's nothing strategic, intellectual or entertaining about healing characters when combat is done. There's no sense of reward in having an item that gets only 90% of the job done, when you know the healing spell does it up to 100% for free. The problem is that it's boring and pointless to have to click the healing spell and 'heal up' your damaged party members. It's robotic and mindless, and I feel it doesn't belong in the game, unless you really like having to do this?? I certainly don't.

Oh no that one click on a bedroll is just TOO HARD.

You are being ridiculously needy.

S
smokey Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
S
@mbpopolano24: I log back in just for the fun off making an eejit of people like you.

'The only difference between auto-healing and auto-winning all battles is in the degree of 'convenience'

I'm just copying and pasting this sentence so I can be absolutely certain my eyes didn't deceive me and you really did write something this patently stupid. You're comparing auto-winning to auto-healing? Ok, my simple fiend.

The only part of your reply that actually makes sense (and therefore allows intelligent people to react to it) is your feeling that you want to play, not watch.

Except you don't watch anything with auto-healing. The suggestion is to have this happen AFTER the battle, not DURING the battle. You know? You 'play' the game by thinking during the fight. You don't 'play' the game by healing up your characters AFTER the battle, because it's just a mindless chore.

S
smokey Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
S
@Stabbey: ah, it's yourself. You seem to have a toxic obsession with any comment I make on this forum. Why not just ignore them, since you seem so troubled by them? You never contribute anything intelligible to what I've said, and I just have to make an eejit of you too as a result.

There's no entertainment value in clicking on a bedroll! Do you get it? It's a computer game - I play the thing to entertain myself. The battles are entertaining - manual-healing after combat is not. I've never used this moronic bedroll - and don't intend to either. The heal spell brings them all back to 100% after the fight, and all I'm saying is that it's damned boring to do it, so why not just auto-heal them instead?

Support
Support
You've played games with auto-heal where this mechanic made the combat less strategic as result?? Eh... Did you read that sentence before you typed it, chief?

Yes. Condescension is not a counter argument.

'because good enough is treated exactly the same as very good, or even perfect' makes no grammatical or logical sense whatsoever, either way.

Here: because 'good enough' is treated exactly the same as 'very good', or even 'perfect'
Now can you figure it out?

Healing after combat has absolutely no impact on strategy during combat

Yes it does. It encourages sloppy strategy, because good strategy is not rewarded.

'god, I hope I can keep everyone at 100% until the battle's end, because if I don't I face the ultimate challenge of repetitively hovering over a heal icon, clicking on a character portrait and waiting for the heal icon to recharge. Again. And again.'

Can you only deal with arguments by distorting and exaggerating them? Should I do the same, and mock you for complaining about sometimes having to hit a single button/hotkey?

Originally Posted by Naqel
The consequence of doing poorly in combat is losing combat.

This discussion is entirely about combat that has been won.

There's so many ways to get back to full HP after a fight at no cost and so many bullshit ways for the game to kill your party even though you'd survive otherwise(like running through fire to get back in formation) that it's simply a case of bad design not to have all the harmful surfaces cleared and damage removed immediately when the fight ends.

No, that's a case for fixing the formation behaviour so that non-lead characters do not ignore surfaces to get back into formation after combat.

veteran
veteran
@Stabbey: ah, it's yourself. You seem to have a toxic obsession with any comment I make on this forum.

Incorrect.

There's no entertainment value in clicking on a bedroll! Do you get it? It's a computer game - I play the thing to entertain myself.

There's no entertainment value in needing to walk through entity-free terrain either. So should all encounters be placed right next to each other?

If one single click is enough to make you go "OH GOD I'M BORED OUT OF MY SKULL", that is your own problem. The player does not need a constant stream of entertainment every half second to maintain interest.

The battles are entertaining - manual-healing after combat is not. I've never used this moronic bedroll - and don't intend to either. The heal spell brings them all back to 100% after the fight, and all I'm saying is that it's damned boring to do it, so why not just auto-heal them instead?

That's right man, take a stand against the power of the one-click full-heal KEEPING YOU DOWN! Fight the power!

The bedroll was almost certainly added because in D:OS 1, people complained about needing to use the healing spell to top everyone up after combat. The bedroll, is, by any accounts, an improvement. And you are not using it because even that one single click is too much for you to handle?

C
stranger
stranger
C
Just going throw my 2cents out there but I think the auto-healing mechanic is a good solution in some games but not for DOS and here is why:

Scanario: You just won a battle and your warrior is at 50% health, your AI companion took big damage and is at 20% health, 15+metres away from the party leader and the battlefield is still covered in fire, poison etc. If you apply the auto-healing principle here then it mitigates the immediate danger of battlefield damage from the terrain/traps and gives you more chance to survive by being careless. What is potentially annoying is if the AI companion starts path finding to get back into formation and kills itself via a trap or from terrain damage, which should definitely be a consideration by the devs and how the 'chained together' mechanic works post combat.

I agree that the healing aspect post combat is tedious and annoying but they will likely keep it that way because of the scenario above and the fact that after you win a battle you shouldn't breathe a big sigh of relief because you could die straight after. Auto-healing in this case would mean you are likely to let your guard down and the game should have the right to punish you for that.

It's a necessary evil I think and although I hate waiting to heal my party it does make me more careful in how to proceed with out of combat movement as if I had a tank I could just steam roll through the battlefield and keep going and undermine any immediate danger.

I don't disagree with auto-healing entirely but it's not as simple as that, so if the devs can come up with a creative way to incorporate it then I'd be happy to see what they come up with.

enthusiast
enthusiast
No, that's a case for fixing the formation behaviour so that non-lead characters do not ignore surfaces to get back into formation after combat.

Pathing being an issue to fix is good an all, but that does not change that there are cases(such as combat ending while your character is actively standing in a field of fire), where that would not resolve the issue, while simultaneously it being possible for you to survive if the game/character was still in combat-mode.

It's also entirely ridiculous to argue from a position where "just because it's only a single click, it's not worth improving it".
It's only a single click if you bother to carry the bedroll, all your characters are already in formation, and all of them are chained together in the UI.

Then there's the ridiculous scenarios where the game is actually meant to heal you(blessed water after certain voidwoken fights), but will still end up potentially killing you if the water happens to connect with any cursed surface.
A moment which is mostly of plot significance ends up being a gameplay threat because of how the surfaces interact.

Support
Support
It's also entirely ridiculous to argue from a position where "just because it's only a single click, it's not worth improving it".

That isn't my position or argument, and I disagree that (as a general mechanic) it needs "improving".

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
There IS a point to not autohealing after combat... sometimes the area you are in is dangerous in and of itself; environmental effects persist, and sometimes are a part of the previous combat. There SHOULD be risk in letting your characters get very low in health during combat, when there are dangerous environmental effects still under their feet.

...or generally what Clackers said upthread.

I'd prefer this to stay as it is, though others have suggested that post combat, timers on skills should accelerate and I have no issues with that. so instead of having to wait ten seconds for your healing skill to reset, it would be say 1 or 2 seconds instead.

Last edited by Ichthyic; 15/11/16 12:14 AM.
I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
Then there's the ridiculous scenarios where the game is actually meant to heal you(blessed water after certain voidwoken fights), but will still end up potentially killing you if the water happens to connect with any cursed surface.
A moment which is mostly of plot significance ends up being a gameplay threat because of how the surfaces interact.

this is a good point in and of itself, but isn't really relevant to your original point.

overall, I find this game just has wayyyyy too many surface effects, period. It feels chaotic and overdone.

old hand
old hand

So there should be absolutely no consequences for doing poorly in combat? One hit point or 100%, it is all the same as long as the character makes it through alive? I've played games with that mechanic, and IMO it changes the tone of combat to be less strategic, because good enough is treated exactly the same as very good, or even perfect.
There is a sense of reward in building your characters and developing strategies so that you do not frequently need a lot of healing after combat.

Makes it easier to balance for devs knowing that all players and monstars are 100% entering battle. I'm gonna be 100% one way or the other, I rather it just be less tedium myself. This was discussed in D:OS, I can handle either way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard