Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#169538 08/03/04 03:06 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi

It has been ages since I played this game (never did finish it), and now the damn thing is giving me hell (yeah, even with v 1.34). NONE of the saves will load, they get about 1/2 way then drop me to desktop. I defragged HD, ran scandisk, all that general type stuff, but to no avail. What is up with this game? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Elf
#169539 08/03/04 04:20 PM
Larian Studios
Larian Studios
Can you start a new game, and save / load?

If you backed up the saves directly to CD-R, did you make sure the files were not set to read-only after copying them to the hard drive?

Check the number of files in the saved game folder (in '..\Divine Divinity\Run\savegames'). Missing files might cause the game to crash when trying to load. A new game should have 22 files, after going to either Verdistis or the Dark Forest it should have 27, after going to both it should have 32, after getting to the wastelands it should have 37, and after getting to the Black Ring dungeon it should have 42.

Try deleting all of the files in the '..\Divine Divinity\Run\Dynamic' folder.
This folder is used as a cache for the game. Files are created / copied there from the save game folder when you load, and written / copied from that folder when you save a game. The files will be re-created as required the next time you start Divinity. If there was a corrupt file in that folder, deleting the files should fix the problem.

Troubleshooting Tips (& manual install procedure)

#169540 08/03/04 06:00 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I had to do a clean install. That solved the dilemna. Odd, tho.... Oh, as I said, *every* saved game would not load, I had over 20 saves. Oh, and I knew about how copying from a CD-R changes attributes, and the need to switch the files from read-only. If there's a next time, I might delete the cache before trying a reinstall.

Elf

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard