Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Qaozer Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I just finished my first playthrough on the new patch and let me tell you this : there won't be another until next patch.

For starters, the good stuff :

The work on animations and armor skin is great. The bug fixing too.
The ability to choose the class of our companions : awesome.
The must is the addition of the "sort" option in the inventory. Thank you very much for this one Larian.
The added civil point at level two is also a very good addition imo.
The fact that special arrows and skills now have a curved trajectory is good too.

Done. Now, the bad stuff :

New bugs, yay ! The one that made me babyrage the most : Ifan getting out of the backstab zone when he's already in, wasting 3 ap (one to move, 2 on a non-backstab attack.) Very infuriating. I might add that it's still impossible to backstab someone in stairs when you're above them, maybe below too.
There is another one where your character and the cursor will be stuck in a skill animation. Only way I found around it was to reload.
Then there is the one at the start of a fight that will simply disable you character. Reloading also saved the poor soul.
I still find myself unable to go back to full life when I wear +CON gear, be it with restoration or the bedroll.
The critical multiplier bug is still there.

Economy : Alright, stealing was truly overpowered last patch. I remember leaving fort joy with almost all the skills i needed thanks to it. It has been nerfed. Hard. With the increase in price of the skills and items, you just cannot steal a book before thievery 2. Right, it's still possible tho with the added point at level 2. However you won't be able to steal much else since the price is so damn high. Selling the paintings now is pretty much a waste of time and energy too. They weight the same, but now we have much less encumbrance and they sell for far less. It's a chore to just try and capitalize on it. Some people should be happy about this, I'm kinda neutral since the amount of money gained is so high now. It should be good right ? Well if the stuff you could buy wasn't so pricey and undesirable yes ! But I'm tired of finding +3 finesse two handed axes and +2 Strength, +2 Warfare Bows... when there are some to find in a merchant's pocket...

Braccus' Gear : Now the curses apply upon equipping the piece of gear. Why ? What happened to that other fellow and the other version of the helm ? The curses used to go away if you wore the full set. It's no longer the case. I hope it is a bug. On the bright side, Braccus' pants are back to being actual pants.

Gear now has prerequisites. Great, now my fearsome warrior is too dumb to wear sandals and have an actual magic armor. At the very least you should put armor score of both types on all gear types, weighting them differently. Unless you really want us to put our stats points everywhere. In this case the job is done.

Source point and skills : Where are they ? They're all gone except for the soul jar ones. You can't get them with the wand nor the helm, you can't pick them up. Basically you really have to think before using them... or do you ? I had three of them in my playthrough. One for the maze, one for the shrine and the last I didn't use it : no gear, no memory; no room for it on my character. Too bad. The ennemies however will use them as much as they can.

Difficulty : New AI, good. The fight are harder but more than that, they feel unfair. Up until this patch I never really complained about difficulty in this game, but now ? I just didn't bother taking on the worst fights (Radeka, The undead gangbang and the firesquad in the maze) because everytime I tried one, I got almost wiped on the first turn, like 3/4 party members. Everytime. My ranger had 15 initiative with nothing but stats (thanks gear progression) and could not start the fight I really tried (in the maze). I was so upset I didn't try the others.

Ricochet used to be a good skill. Used to be. Now it doesn't ricochet half the time even when two targets are close.

Everlasting surface is a bad idea imo. In battle, why not, but after the last ennemy is down, they should disappear like before.

I liked Zaleskar old fashion. But that's just my opinion.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I definitely noticed some AI bugs for companions, though. Like, you're in striking distance but companions still move and trigger Attacks of Opportunity.

I disagree heavily with attribute requirements for items. Rogue can't wear +1 finesse +1 thievery gloves because 11 Int requirement, lol.

Last edited by Kelsier; 03/02/17 08:48 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kelsier
I definitely noticed some AI bugs for companions, though. Like, you're in striking distance but companions still move and trigger Attacks of Opportunity.

I disagree heavily with attribute requirements for items. Rogue can't wear +1 finesse +1 thievery gloves because 11 Int requirement, lol.

I think Qaozer was being sarcastic about gear requiring attributes being a good thing.

Qaozer Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Yep, that's right, I was sarcastic.

enthusiast
enthusiast
No, I think you completely misunderstood what I was saying. I did not object to anything in your post

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard