Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
Why does Wits make Crits more likely? Because you are smarter and can aim better for vital spots. Rage is more the opposite of Wits, so rage should not give crit, just increase damage. If you are enraged, you hit harder and not smarter.

Crippling blow just means for me, that you aim for the legs, so I wouldn't count that as that much technical. But stuff like Ricochet probably does fit less to an enraged player.

tee Offline
journeyman
journeyman
imo rage should have critchance+ lowered , to the point rage would only good when used with a dmg dealing character Wits focused build , crit build.

So in order to deal constant crits , one must wear gears with +wits/crits and make Wits thier primary tributes. Cause atm , i dont think anybody level Wits with thier mind thinking "oh i need those +1% crit chances".. nah, people just level it for Initiative.

My concept is something like this:
♦ a crit character dmg should be 20-30% weaker in general when scoring normal attacks compared to a normal build character but if he scores constant crits , then his dps is overall much better.
♦ Crit build should be weak early game but late game powerhouse.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by lx07

@Ellezard, how do you put pictures in the forum like that? I much prefer it to links. In fact how do you take a screenshot at the exact second in the first place?

F12 on Steam to take picture. (Hotkey probably varies based on person)

"[Im"g] directpicturelinkhere "[/im"]g without the " "

And crit can really mean more than just "Vital strike". In games with Vital strike system type of crit, they are "Defense ignoring" type of crit, always dealing full damage but have little to no extra multiplier. There's also the pure "Lucky Crit" but our game doesn't have that. Our crit is just a generic "Hit really hard" type of crit.

And I would consider the whole "Wit and crit" to be a special case of logic where they purposefully bend the rule around for balance purpose. Why does Wit grants Crit but not Finesse where moving around gracefully will likely give you more room to hit a vital spot especially when you view the whole thing in real time and it's much more likely to score a vital strike after dodging? Why does Str not grant overall crit damage in general but make physical armour tougher? Wit might as well be a pure roleplaying stat since it's for negotiation purpose or planning but they gave it ini increase and crit chance purely for min-max.

Last edited by Ellezard; 17/02/17 04:17 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
Rage should definitely be restricted to self-cast only. There should be a different (preferably Necromancy/Witchcraft) spell that serves the purpose of debuffing resistances. Rage's 1AP cost should not be increased to balance it, and I will explain why I feel this way.

I think the Rage's low AP cost being a problem is a byproduct of a much larger problem: it's too easy to gain AP. There's an abundance of AP generating skills (Haste, Adrenaline, Flesh Sacrifice, to a lesser extent Tactical Retreat) that are so dominant right now that there's really no reason for any of your characters to not dip into their respective schools to pick them up.

The most prominent example: Haste being a 0AP cost skill that gives you +1AP for subsequent rounds is incredibly powerful. A combination of Haste + Adrenaline completely eliminates the downside of Adrenaline and is a no-risk, high-reward option that excels on every character in every situation. Unless you want these two skills to be mandatory for every character to pick up this needs to be addressed, and this is without the consideration of Flesh Sacrifice on top of this combo.

In DOS:EE, Haste had a moderate cost (4AP) for a long-term benefit (+3AP for the next 2 Turns). This meant that you spent AP up front to gain more in the long run. It was a situational trade-off of immediate AP for the benefit of having more AP later. Likewise, Adrenaline in DOS:EE scaled with your total AP, rather than by a flat value (gain 50% of your Turn Action Points, but lose 75% of your total Action Points next turn). This scaling ensured that the benefit gained from the skill would always be proportionally relative with its downside. If you were hasted, haste's AP gain would play into the benefit and cost of Adrenaline, rather than nullify it's penalty completely.

In another topic here, Ellezard described how one could spend a total of 7 AP in one round as early as level 4. Not even 2 hours into the game, you can already spend more AP than your AP bank can hold at the start of combat (without banking any AP over from a previous round to save up) with no trade-off at all. If this character had Flesh Sacrifice, they would have a total of 8AP to spend in one round.

Of course these kind of skill combos feel rewarding to use, but they strain the balance of the game by redefining the standard "AP budget" characters have access to. This "AP inflation" will have to be balanced around (as we are seeing with the suggestion to increase the AP cost of Rage) until it is mandatory for every character to carry these skills in order to keep up.

Last edited by ShyCryptid; 17/02/17 11:02 PM.
The first problem is actually already that melee is again too strong in itself. So many skills with heavy damage, heavy aoe and even CC on top of that, ofc that interacts with other powerful options like warlord. That one should be simply removed. Reminds me of the old great cleave from dnd. It's actual function binds it to be broken as it comforts the extremes. Really bad.

As for rage... well, many ways to make it less OP, but needs a complete redesign most probably. The main goal should simply be to make it less mandatory for pretty much every build. The same goes for adrenaline, haste and some others.
And restricting the diversion is never a good idea...

Sadly this is a problem I already talked about even before the first game with it's skill layout.
There's more than one way to achieve a goal, so why not portraying that with the skills? Right now we have that only with some hard CC effects, petrify, freeze, stun... different yet similar.
For example fortify. Only effect to boost physical armor. Why not providing alternatives? For example: A bone armor spell, that also boosts physical armor, but you need to sacrifice a skeleton summon to cast it. Similar use yet an alternative with specific characteristics.
That mixed with higher requirements would be a better way.

Last edited by Seelenernter; 18/02/17 08:25 PM.

Think for yourself! Or others will do it...
G
stranger
stranger
G
Two-handed enraged fighter is op only cause of aoe skills. Silenced until enraged looks like the solution.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard