Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#602427 17/04/17 05:35 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I've noticed that the game is a lot more enjoyable to play, combat wise. It is a bit on the easy side for the explorer quest (just as expected). Due to the limited time playing, I'm not sure if I want to restart on classic mode. I'll most likely try classic mode on the next update smile

Belts, rings and affordable skillbooks being sold much earlier in the game.

Added depth to the story line (mostly the Red Prince).

Dislikes:
New skillbook designs. The old ones were perfect, there was no reason to change them. These blend in making them harder to find in your inventory. Though I wouldn't mind the designs on other kinds of books in the game, just not the skill books.

One of the main characters needs to start off with the Pet Pal ability (preferably the elf). That cat that follows you around and randomly disappears really annoys me, or is that npc useless? I really don't know where the cat will go, I'll just end up noticing I'm no longer being followed by it. This play through, the cat disappeared before I even got the elf to team up with me.

Bugs:
When Lhose has her demonic freak-out in the cave with elves, the Lizard Guard at the entrance will stop selling his wares to all party members and will give you a -45 reputation after the battle.

NPCs seem to use things like meat, bones and even sea shells that I sold them as potions. At least those are the icons that are displayed when fighting them.

Walking-around bug. This appears to still persist when only using a dagger. It really should have been squashed by now. This bug makes using daggers pointless as you keep getting attacked from any enemy that has the opportunist ability they will use this ability while your approaching with a dagger. Opportunist should be used when fleeing the opponent.

The development money has already been spent on creating daggers, dagger abilities and dagger graphics. Might as well spend a little more of the development budget to squish this bug so we can use daggers as they were meant to be used.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 17/04/17 05:39 PM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
veteran
veteran
Pet Pal was nice in D:OS 1, but in D:OS 2 it is much more inconvenient. You need to pick it on your main character, sacrificing any other specialization or else you can't get it until level 4. Once again, this is related to switching from 2 Talents at creation and 1 at level 3 to 1 at creation and 1 at level 4.

That discourages Rogues from starting with Pet Pal, and fighters from starting with Pet Pal. Mages are probably the best class to go for Pet Pal, but that's mostly because Mages best starting Talent is almost always Far Out Man, and while nice, is easily skippable.

Saying that one of the companions should start out with Pet Pal misses that you pick their class when they join, so that presumably changes their Talents as well. I can test that, but it wouldn't be smart design otherwise. So giving one of the Companions Pet Pal as a default Talent is not useful. Instead, it would be nice to be able to fix that with a full respec of your companions, so you could give one of them Pet Pal.

Stabbey #602451 17/04/17 11:10 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I dislike the Pet Pal talent. It's basically asking if you want to gimp one of your party members in order to experience extra content and quests. It kinda feels like a talent-tax on the party, although I always skip it. I'd like it if they just made it built-in that Source users could communicate with animals.

Originally Posted by Stabbey
Mages are probably the best class to go for Pet Pal, but that's mostly because Mages best starting Talent is almost always Far Out Man, and while nice, is easily skippable.

Why not The Pawn for mages?
1AP of movement will get you 5m (or more) closer to the target, much greater than the 2m for Far Out Man, and it also works for kiting enemies, etc.

@LightningLockey
The opportunity strikes bug you described occurs for non-dagger weapons too. The devs say it's a known issue at least, so hopefully they work it out by the next patch.

Last edited by error3; 17/04/17 11:13 PM.
veteran
veteran
As a mage you will always prefer high ground, so 2 m more range might be more helpful than 5 m more movement?

Also getting closer yourself puts you more at risking of getting attacked.

error3 #602459 18/04/17 01:04 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by error3
1AP of movement will get you 5m (or more) closer to the target, much greater than the 2m for Far Out Man, and it also works for kiting enemies, etc.

There are a few Talents good for any class like The Pawn, it's just that Mages have the fewest mage-specific Talents. The Pawn also has a Scoundrel 1 requirement, and it's less useful for mages than Fighters and Rogues because mages have a long range by default and need to move less.

And my point had nothing to do with making an argument about what are the best Talents for mages, it was that of all the archtypes, mages are the ones most able to be able to remain effective by spending a point into Pet Pal. Rangers might also be able to get away with it as well.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I'm sorry to have mis-lead you into thinking I was having the issue. Oddly enough, this walking-around bug has been to a benefit to my party. When ever there is an opponent that has a dagger, Ifan and The Red Prince always get in one, sometimes two attacks before they do anything with the dagger.

I haven't gotten far enough to put any points into talents, I doubt I'll get to play the game for a few days. The problem is if I try to squeeze half an hour of the game in, 3 hours later I know I'm up way too late and will end up sleepy at work which isn't a good thing. I was up too late last night as it was by an hour and a half with the game.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 18/04/17 04:06 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I finally got done the game. The problems have been signifigantly reduced, though there are still some.

Paladin Cork - he still dies. Again I gave up trying to save him, even coming out of the castle and fighting with my whole party right behind him. He dies in two hits.

Paladin Garret - I decided to not save him this time and let him get killed off. The end result is my party wasn't able to get the source collars removed. My main character got the collar removed after the fight arena underneath Fort Joy.

Magister Alexander is entirely too OP. She hits you with a nasty stun spell and your entire party is stunned and killed off without getting a hit. I discovered a nice glitch to get around it. While she's talking with the main character, I was able to get all my other characters in place to have the fight. It was easy to teleport my main char out of the stun cloud. Final battle wasn't win-able without abusing this bug.

I'm also deeply saddened that the giant voidworm spawns after all those magisters are killed at the end. I found it to be really awesome when the voidworm spawned in the middle of the fight. That kind of chaos made the fight really enjoyable.

error3 #602984 30/04/17 11:11 AM
D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
I dislike the Pet Pal talent. It's basically asking if you want to gimp one of your party members in order to experience extra content and quests. It kinda feels like a talent-tax on the party, although I always skip it. I'd like it if they just made it built-in that Source users could communicate with animals.

Mages are probably the best class to go for Pet Pal, but that's mostly because Mages best starting Talent is almost always Far Out Man, and while nice, is easily skippable.

@LightningLockey
The opportunity strikes bug you described occurs for non-dagger weapons too. The devs say it's a known issue at least, so hopefully they work it out by the next patch.

Because most mage classes don't have scoundrel to give it a RP feel. Personaly,I prefer to make my wizzards and enchanters mnemonics.

Draco359 #602992 30/04/17 02:09 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Draco359

@LightningLockey

Because most mage classes don't have scoundrel to give it a RP feel. Personaly,I prefer to make my wizzards and enchanters mnemonics.

I haven't really thought much about pet pal (after that cat at the beginning vanishes). After playing the game now 3 times I've come to realize, I won't ever have the pet pal talent while in Fort Joy. All those rats, pigs, beat cub, etc is basically dead content since we do have to "gimp" one of our characters to use that content.

Larian should have it already built into one of the main characters. The red prince or elf since most players will probably enlist both of those in their first play though.

veteran
veteran
All Conjurers have Pet Pal as their talent, so if you make one of the Companions that preset, they'll have it.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Ilfan gets Pet Pall as forth talent if taken as a companion....so you can just make Ilfan your tank and face and that should solve all your problems.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Ok, I was having Ilfan as my Polymorph class. The elf was an archer, lizard as warrior and Lohs was the enchanter. It is easily missed content it seems, at least in the first act.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 06/05/17 04:43 PM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard