Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
Can someone explain the differences between "sight", "ranger sight", and "elven sight" other then they are better left to right in the order written? For instance, what level of "sight" equals "eleven sight" level 1, etc.

God's gift: can it be significant, ie, hard or nearly impossible to get things or is it just a fun thing to do when one has some extra mana to burn (like before sleeping sometimes)? I got it via a necklace (level 1) and tried it once - it gave me 31 gold (whoo whoo - by the time I'm in the wastelands, I'm the richest person on Revelon smile )

Last edited by caninelegion; 06/05/17 10:46 PM.
Support
Support

Sight is your character's sight range, and increases the area cleared by the fog of war and the distance at which you can see opponents (up to the maximum, the distance shown by the mini-map - sights and weapon range).

Sight bonuses can come from skills (Elven Sight is much better than Ranger Sight in that regard; both list the sight bonuses in their descriptions) as well as equipment bonuses. Playing the original release (so 1024x768), I put a point into Elven Sight and eventually started avoiding using too much equipment with sight bonuses, so the fog of war cleared wouldn't be much larger than the screen size (to help keep track of areas that had been explored).

Wizard's Sight can be cast away from your character to temporarily clear the fog of war. Cast it again in the same location, before the fog-of-war fills in again from the first, and it will remain clear. Hold the Shift key down (or enable Caps Lock) to move the screen focus away from your character and towards the area you want to clear.

Heaven's Gift is a relatively slow way to get a practically unlimited supply of potions, low level loot and gold. Starting at level 2 or 3 (don't recall) you can get regular health and mana potions, which you can then mix (with Alchemy level 1) to get a restoration potion to re-fill your mana, so with a moderate supply of mana to start with, the spell can be cast repeatedly as long as your right mouse button can hold out.

You'll be the richest person in Rivellon just by looting everything, using loot to trade when possible and maybe repairing any equipment not at full durability before selling.

C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
Originally Posted by Raze

Sight is your character's sight range, and increases the area cleared by the fog of war and the distance at which you can see opponents (up to the maximum, the distance shown by the mini-map - sights and weapon range).

Sight bonuses can come from skills (Elven Sight is much better than Ranger Sight in that regard; both list the sight bonuses in their descriptions) as well as equipment bonuses. Playing the original release (so 1024x768), I put a point into Elven Sight and eventually started avoiding using too much equipment with sight bonuses, so the fog of war cleared wouldn't be much larger than the screen size (to help keep track of areas that had been explored).

Wizard's Sight can be cast away from your character to temporarily clear the fog of war. Cast it again in the same location, before the fog-of-war fills in again from the first, and it will remain clear. Hold the Shift key down (or enable Caps Lock) to move the screen focus away from your character and towards the area you want to clear.

Heaven's Gift is a relatively slow way to get a practically unlimited supply of potions, low level loot and gold. Starting at level 2 or 3 (don't recall) you can get regular health and mana potions, which you can then mix (with Alchemy level 1) to get a restoration potion to re-fill your mana, so with a moderate supply of mana to start with, the spell can be cast repeatedly as long as your right mouse button can hold out.

You'll be the richest person in Rivellon just by looting everything, using loot to trade when possible and maybe repairing any equipment not at full durability before selling.

I didn't actually invest in sight so I didn't see the description. I just didn't notice any change when I swapped out an elven sight 1 bow for a sight 4 bow. There's quite a few things I really don't know how to use. I was trying to use the wizard sight I learned from a book to see on the other side of walls without any luck. Interesting use; I'll have to try it.

I'm never short of potions (I think I have over 150 restoration potions and that's without making my own) and one is rolling in gold by about halfway through so I think I'll pass on investing in heaven's gift. Cool idea, though.

Last edited by caninelegion; 07/05/17 06:20 AM.
Support
Support

Hovering over a skill in the skill window will tell you the bonus for the current level (if applicable) as well as the next level. Elven Sight level 1 gives a boost of 2 to your sight range, so the bow should have been a slight increase; the default sight range for a new character is 12.

C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
Oh, now I understand. I just didn't make the connection; thanks!

C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
How does back stab work? I've got the passive skill, I have a back stab capable dagger, I go behind an enemy, but the attack appears normal.

EDIT: I thought I was making a new thread but apparently I made an error. I have finished the game with the character in the original post and have started a third using a survivor. I'm early in the game (level 7, I think) so back stab level is just level 1.

Survivor seems a bit difficult and the skills are hard to know if they are working. For instance, blind puts the symbol on the enemy but they continue to track and attack me. It's hard to tell if the enemy can see you or not in the fade skill (sometimes a "light" message comes up so you know it didn't work but often, I only know when they attack me).

Last edited by caninelegion; 10/05/17 07:20 AM.
Support
Support

Assassin's Kiss gives a passive damage boost when using a dagger; positioning doesn't matter (despite what 'backstab' would imply), it is just random.
With the skill at level 1, if you fight one strong opponent, or multiple opponents with similar defences, you should see double damage about every tenth hit, on average.

Know Creature (level 4) will tell you if an opponent can see you if you mouse over them (or hit Ctrl, for the closest to the mouse cursor), if you don't mind the list of other information. That works with the Embrace Shadows skill, anyway, so I assume does for the survivor's special move, as well.

Try casting level 1 of the survivor's Curse skill on opponents one or more times, and see if that makes Blind more reliable.
For sneaking, IIRC the character should crouch when hiding, and stand up when light, or opening a door, etc, cause the character to unsneak.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Blind skill is only effective at level 5 (when You completely blind the enemy). Reducing enemy sight range gives almost nothing.

C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
I see I was using the wrong terminology (and assuming the two similar ideas worked the same - back stab in OS/assassin's kiss in DD). OK, that part makes sense now. I also assumed blind worked on a timer, ie, totally blinding an enemy for longer lengths of time as level increased and, again, I now understand. I'll have to approach having a survivor a bit differently.

I think I got kind of spoiled with my warrior/ranger too - it was much easier then with a mage and had no trouble with most bosses - even Josefina went down fast. Survivor will take a lot more thinking.

Last edited by caninelegion; 10/05/17 11:57 PM.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard