Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#603394 10/05/17 01:06 AM
Nuked Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Will GM mode become available in early access (e.g. next patch) or will we have to wait for the full release to be able to try it out ourselves?

I'm loving what's in the live stream and can't wait to play around with it myself.

apprentice
apprentice
It NEEDS to be part of Early Access. Larian would be doing themselves a disservice if they didn't let the player base try GM mode and provide feedback on it before release. That's the entire purpose of Early Access.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Pretty sure it was said from larian that it wont be avaible until release.
But i dont remember the source so dont take it as fact.

Nuked Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I did see a Tweet/Facebook comment saying that "it would be available at release", but I am not going to read anything into that. I would indeed consider it strange if they did not do at least one patch round of testing + feedback on the feature before release.

old hand
old hand
I've seen a few statements now that indicate there will be no early access for GM mode or the editor.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
old hand
old hand
It seems like a lost opportunity to wait until release, but I can see how it would complicate things (moreso the editor than the GM mode.) I suppose it makes for a more dramatic release.

I hope they at least show a couple more playthroughs.

Last edited by Baardvark; 11/05/17 10:35 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Windemere
I've seen a few statements now that indicate there will be no early access for GM mode or the editor.

My two is that is a mistake in terms of how this works in the wild, especially the modding part. We need this game released day one with mods already done and ready for download day one. This can only happen if we have it early. That is how you foster a mod community, availability and the buyers knowing it exists immediately, this is the main secret to Bethesda's success and they laugh to the bank every time a dev house misses how they print their money. Empowering gamers and fostering community equals longevity, loyalty and money.

Sven has mentioned many times how EA has helped make DOS better, EA with these features will also make DOS2 better. Oh well.

Last edited by Horrorscope; 11/05/17 11:16 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Horrorscope

... this is the main secret to Bethesda's success ...

bethesda runs early access on completely new games and modding tools?

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by 4verse

I think the point is that Bethesda historically made Construction Set available at the game's outset so that modders could set to work immediately; though more recent releases have seen increasing delays on getting mod support out there, with user-made tools often being the first on the scene. Although Larian has some very talented modders, they just aren't there in the same numbers to realistically do the same thing.

J'aime le fromage.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by 4verse
Originally Posted by Horrorscope

... this is the main secret to Bethesda's success ...

Bethesda does give out its tools to mod devs early. But they are now in the drivers seat due to fostering modding for so long. Their main games will have mods day one.

Lets do a more even comparison. Cities Skylines, they did have modding in EA and it hit the streets with a lot of mods and players looking and wanting mods and the franchise has been a huge success for developer and players alike.

Last edited by Horrorscope; 13/05/17 12:39 AM.
H
stranger
stranger
H
Once it lands, you get grumbling customers. Waiting to release might frustrate some consumers, but if you ultimately deliver a substantial product it generally seems like it pays off... people will (eventually) return if they angrily stomped away. However, look no further than Sword Coast Legends to see what happens when you undeliver on an initial product offering. Even if Sword Coast Legends is good now, the initial backlash surely did it in.

I'd love to have access ASAP, I'd love to start modding now. But I'd rather get a clean, polished product.

Launching the mod editor at or soon after release, however, is important, I agree with that. The longer you wait, the fewer players stick around. Only a chunk of those players would return with mod tools release, and if they aren't enough to "talk up" the game's mods, then it can't catch a second traction.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by HolmstN
Even if Sword Coast Legends is good now, the initial backlash surely did it in.

Is it good now? I refunded it shortly after release since it was absolute trash.

Is it worth repurchasing?

E
journeyman
journeyman
E
Originally Posted by Twiztedterry
Is it good now? I refunded it shortly after release since it was absolute trash.

Is it worth repurchasing?

No, it's still barely functional and tools are sorely lacking.

Idiots/assholes at Digital Extremes totally killed it by forcing release 3-6 months before it should have been.

What a colossal waste.

GM Mode really REALLY does need Early Access so we can help make sure it's as bug free and ready for release.

So far though it looks like Larian has really learned from the epic fail of "modding" of D:OS1. Fingers crossed.

apprentice
apprentice
I really wish to see an alpha version of it to test out, fully agree that it will only help them in the long run.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Nope, it's been said that GM mode is on release and not during the EA.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Why can't the GM tool be "early access" too? Nobody expects it to work perfectly and it's a great time to test out any bugs and truly make it stable...

apprentice
apprentice
Obviously it's not gonna be "perfect" at release but I can bet something will be broken to the point where people will cry out for days before a fix hits.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard