Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
There needs to be an option to switch from real time to turn based outside of combat. I can't count how many times I had a party wipe in the last game because combat ended with my party poisoned/on fire. It was literally impossible for me to save my team in those situations because I would be locked into a healing animation with one character while the others stood around and continued to take damage. Fire is a minor inconvenience during combat, but out of combat brushing against a campfire can be lethal. Please give us a button that toggles turn based mode outside of combat. This will fix the problem I had, as well as allowing more tactical play for solo players.

veteran
veteran
EDIT: Oops I am dumb.

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Would you like to expand on why not?

journeyman
journeyman
I get where you're coming from, we often have someone die just after combat because a heal/potion can't be clicked fast enough (or is miss-clicked). This usually results in some yelling, laughing, and a resurrection scroll being used.

I wouldn't mind some kind of (optional) "pause/one-more-turn" mechanic after combat, but I don't think it's going to be implemented. I just accept it as part of the fun and part of the tactical play to avoid being on fire and low health at the end of combat.

old hand
old hand
I agree spooky something wasn't quite right. All the effects start in turn base and are manageable that way, but if the affects are still on and combat ends, all of a sudden it becomes a game of great dexterity on the user, beyond that of even an action game as the UI doesn't elegantly handle this. I've played some other TB games with live action parts in it like this recently and it is always a little jarring as some just want a TB type pace and bringing an actiony mechanic into the mix has a strange perhaps unwanted feel, they were brought up there as well. I can't remember in EE if they added a auto-pause if damage is taken in the real time part, been a while since I played.

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Nuked
I just accept it as part of the fun and part of the tactical play to avoid being on fire and low health at the end of combat.

Unfortunately this was frustrating enough for me that without this function I will not buy D:OS2. I don't find it fun for my party to all die because the enemy nuked himself before I could heal myself during combat. I also find it annoying to have to leave one enemy alive while I spend each character's action healing themselves. This is a simple fix that will make the game less frustrating for some people (myself included) as well as allowing more tactical play, I just don't see a reason to not implement this.

lol don't mind Stabbey, every time you ask for something that he's un confortable with, he will try to diminish you down on your proposals.... but he's just one person and the game isn't here to please him...

As for the proposal, it is design this way, real time outside combat, although every effects have a "turn" while in real time, i think its 5 seconds.

The downside is when you're alone playing all 4 characters, you obviously can't control them all at the same time. Maybe after the fight, if they could implement an option where you would still continu to be "turn base in combat" until bad effects wears out. This could be a work around solution to the problem.

Good thinking pointing that out... this could be an improvement.

Last edited by AngeliusMefyrx; 10/05/17 04:59 AM.
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Can not be too difficult to add a pause function into the game, it exist in GM mode.

If they implement that so should it solve the problem.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I must admit to being someone who likes the game in spite of its turn-based combat, but I'm not sure it'd be amenable to something like realtime-with-pause: and it's hard to say if I really preferred the play-style of e.g. Dragon Age Oranges either, for that matter. I suspect that implementing such a feature may involve significantly more development effort than it may look like at a glance though, and I'm not sure Larian are interested in such a thing since Original Sin's raison d'être is isometric turn-based (oh, and I'm not particularly keen on isometric either. biggrin )

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Oops, my mistake. I was dumb and misread the post. I thought it was asking for switching between turn-based and real-time combat. Never mind my objection then.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Originally Posted by vometia
I must admit to being someone who likes the game in spite of its turn-based combat, but I'm not sure it'd be amenable to something like realtime-with-pause: and it's hard to say if I really preferred the play-style of e.g. Dragon Age Oranges either, for that matter. I suspect that implementing such a feature may involve significantly more development effort than it may look like at a glance though, and I'm not sure Larian are interested in such a thing since Original Sin's raison d'être is isometric turn-based (oh, and I'm not particularly keen on isometric either. biggrin )

Basicaly it's turning in combat mode on for those in your party then disabling their combat options and re-enabling their civil options like talking,stealing-which, let's be honest here, is the main reason why everyone wants this feature....so they can steal more!

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by SP00KYGUNNER
There needs to be an option to switch from real time to turn based outside of combat. I can't count how many times I had a party wipe in the last game because combat ended with my party poisoned/on fire.
As a workaround I put bedroll in position 1 for all characters and spam the 1 button after combat finishes. That is normally (but not always) good enough to stop my party dying because I'm too slow at clicking.

Your solution is pretty neat but would you order the characters? Presumably by initiative still?

In a similar vein I'd been thinking a pause button would be nice. For example if the Esc key paused action rather than, as it does now, not.

You cant use bedroll on a character under an effect; burning, bleeding...etc

Last edited by AngeliusMefyrx; 10/05/17 09:00 PM.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by AngeliusMefyrx
You cant use bedroll on a character under an effect; burning, bleeding...etc
I've always been able to.

Humm, maybe i'll have to test your way.

So far, from my experience, only one character needs a bedroll, you double click on it and it heals the entire party. The thing is if a character has their health bar another color than red.... purple for instance, I doesn't heal that character....

Maybe if I go directly on that character and click on a bedroll it will do so, but I have doubts.
Anyway, every character's of mine do have a bedroll...

Last edited by AngeliusMefyrx; 10/05/17 10:10 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by AngeliusMefyrx
Humm, maybe i'll have to test your way.

So far, from my experience, only one character needs a bedroll, you double click on it and it heals the entire party. The thing is if a character has their health bar another color than red.... purple for instance, I doesn't heal that character....

Maybe if I go directly on that character and click on a bedroll it will do so, but I have doubts.
Anyway, every character's of mine do have a bedroll...

Characters only share the same bedroll if they are close enough together, and possibly linked too.

Even in single player, I find having 1 bedroll on each character helpful in case they are too spread out after a fight and one of them is near-death.

I have it hotkeyed to "1" for every character so I can get them healed ASAP.

As to the OP's original topic, I would very much like a feature to toggle turn-based mode while out-of-combat. This would make it a lot easier to get my party in position pre-combat, which is often a real chore in single-player mode.

Last edited by error3; 10/05/17 10:25 PM.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard