Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#604164 26/05/17 04:40 PM
vometia Offline OP
Duchess of Gorgombert
OP Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Yeah, it's that gnarly old subject again: keeping the reckless Paladin Cork alive. Maybe my strategy is even worse than it was previously (which is kinda difficult, I suck at strategy) but I'm now finding it practically impossible to stop him being pwned. He has around 50 hp, and the nasty dudes can two- or three-shot him, which is a bit of a problem since it's often the case that there's three of them in a row so there's no opportunity for healing or teleporting the bugger out of the way. Not that the latter makes any difference as he just phoenix-dives back into the middle of hostilities anyway.

Attempting to restrict the assailants seems like a lost cause as most are fairly powerful archers who attack from a distance and behind cover, and Cork invariably places himself halfway between my dudes and the Magisters.

Sneaking my characters into position is a non-starter as only one has even barely adequate sneaking and the Magisters constantly patrol back and forth, and other than that I'm at a slight loss.

Suggestions?

I admit it probably doesn't matter that much, but I've just returned from playing Prey and I got really stressed if I couldn't rescue all the surviving crew from its own evil dudes. So it's kinda what I do.

J'aime le fromage.
vometia #604170 26/05/17 05:45 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I usually just had a ranger upon on highground part when you come in through the front gate and make him heal and disable the knight and send my hasted rogue to kill 1 of the archers making sure not to agro the furthest one.

Rogues are the best
vometia #604178 26/05/17 08:03 PM
E
stranger
stranger
E
I usually come in from behind the doors and teleport him into the locked room, till the end of combat.

vometia #604184 26/05/17 09:19 PM
vometia Offline OP
Duchess of Gorgombert
OP Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Thanks for the suggestions. Sadly I've long since lockpicked the handy caged-off area but I'll keep that in mind for future reference! In the meantime I'll see if I can pick off some of the wandering magisters without starting combat with the whole lot of them...

J'aime le fromage.
vometia #604200 27/05/17 03:51 AM
D
stranger
stranger
D
How many heals / fortify do you have?

If you enter from inside the keep you will be close to him and can keep him alive. Since everything is targeting him anyway for whatever reason, just keep him buffed up.

If you move a caster to the spot up the ladder right outside that door (make a left when exiting the keep), it will have free reign over pretty much the whole battlefield which will help you control the things trying to kill Cork.

If you're lvl 4+ you can also netherswap him with your tank when he rambos in - it might be enough to draw the archer aggro.

vometia #604207 27/05/17 07:33 AM
vometia Offline OP
Duchess of Gorgombert
OP Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Not really enough, but the trouble was I'd get three magisters in a row who'd be enough to take him out before I could act. No doubt a better strategist would be able to mitigate such eventualities, but... well, that's why I play on easy. :P

Fortunately sticking him in the cage kept him out of trouble, even though it was unlocked. I stuck the chest across the doorway to make sure he stayed in there but I'm not sure it was necessary.

J'aime le fromage.
vometia #604230 27/05/17 02:49 PM
D
stranger
stranger
D
Hahaha I admit I'll probably do that in the future because he is a pain to keep alive. I usually shy away from doing something like that because the fall damage can make some neutral NPCs aggro.

Oh - one other thing to try in the future - if you have someone with Peace of Mind (is that what Burn My Eyes is called now?) you get a free 4 wits which should be enough to bump someone to the front of the turn order before the fight starts.

vometia #604342 28/05/17 06:45 PM
H
stranger
stranger
H
You can pull at least 2 of the magisters with Teleport and deal with them by themselves. That leaves 4 (I think?) to fight. If you spread your party I've had good luck pulling the 2 (ranger/knight combo to the left of Cork) towards most of my party. I've left a guy behind Cork to help heal/fortify or whatever. There's even been times when Cork and the Ranger square off and Trippel has joined the rest of his forces fighting me. Like Damon said, Peace of Mind or just high wits scores in particular should allow you to get upper hand in this fight. Idk your builds or spells but I'm certain any group can pull this fight off with enough experience/practice. If you're still having trouble I'd be happy to run a co-op game with you up to this fight.

vometia #604352 28/05/17 08:16 PM
vometia Offline OP
Duchess of Gorgombert
OP Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Fortunately the fight itself isn't too hard (well, I play on easy anyway because I kinda suck at combat and strategy) it was just the bit about keeping Cork alive. I've hopefully absorbed some of the more elegant solutions suggested here, but using the cage to keep him out of mischief is a solution I'm quite happy with. biggrin

J'aime le fromage.
vometia #604378 29/05/17 04:49 AM
V
stranger
stranger
V
A simple way of doing it is using Teleport, Netherswap and Spread your Wings. Use spread your wings before combat, Netherswap with Paladin Cork, Fly up to where you came from, Teleport Cork as far away as possible. You can even use Skin Graft to reset cooldowns and get him further away.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard