Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
So I came to the healer and as usual I was ready to heal Dain (the guy who refuses potions) with a spell. In the conversation before that the healer asks whether I have any liquor on me - this time I did. I gave her some and Dain became drunk.
Then I healed him with a spell. He stood up, still drunk, and instead of giving me the special card as usual and stuff, he just stood there.
The drunk status wouldn't go away. After a while I gave up and went away for a bit - I think I went into the elven cave next to the healer's tent. When I came out, Dain collapsed dead on the ground (he had been full on health before that because of my spell!). I gather that shouldn't happen? I healed him, right? He had always been fine after the spell, this time I gave him alcohol before the spell and it went wrong somehow...

I've got many cheeses. Wanna be friends?
veteran
veteran
I think he's scripted to die after a little while if you give him alcohol. The game probably didn't expect you to give him alcohol AND heal him. Things like that are easy to slip through in a game with so much freedom.

Thanks for letting me know that he is grateful if you heal him. In early versions he actually used to go hostile, so I got used to feeding him poisoned alcohol.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hostile? Never happened to me, not even in the early versions... I always healed him up and he was always the same - mumbling about how that wasn't necessary, how he didn't need any magic to heal him, "you think you're so fancy" and stuff. Then he recounts how he got beaten up and gives you the Sparkler card to win in the game. So he's grateful-ish. laugh
Maybe it also matters which character speaks to him? I mostly play with Lohse as my main character, maybe his reaction is different for various characters...

enthusiast
enthusiast
He still goes hostile if I attempt to uncork a healing potion and force its contents down his throat. If I just use magic (the way I usually do it), he'll just get up and I'll walk away without a single word of thanks.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Well, I've never tried a potion on him. Always a spell. If I cast it, he doesn't walk away, he gets up and goes to sit on the stool nearby. There I talk to him and he give me the card.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think magic has always been a non-hostile option: I forget if he initiates the conversation or if I do, but he always gives me the sparkler card to use with the gamblers as long as I don't antagonise him. Though attempting to give him a potion seems to ensure he gets in a bit of a strop.

J'aime le fromage.
A
stranger
stranger
A

Magic or first aid seems to work on him fine have not tried scroll heal spell though. and he should auto talk to the caster and if said right gives you the sparkler card Like vometia said. oh and this is based of my game today and not an older patch.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Yeah, but back to my original question - was it a random bug or do you guys have the same issue as well? If you give him alcohol (not a potion, just the liquor the healer asks for), he just dies after a while even though you fill his healthbar up with a spell?

A
stranger
stranger
A
Yes When I gave him alcohol he would die after a time.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I don't know how this works then, should this be moved to technical issues or something? It is a bug apparently, stops you from saving Dain if you give him booze, which doesn't make sense... It's not game breaking, but it should probably be fixed. My other topic (with a conversation bug) got moved so I'm just asking, these are my first two posts on the forums and I don't know what the protocol is. laugh

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard