Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Eldarth Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
E
PLEASE tell me we will be able to create campaigns/adventures that a party can entirely playout WITHOUT a GM "required."

I believe there are only a "few" critical pieces of functionality:

• - Trigger area or Aggro range of monsters/encounters
  • - Interactable "objects" that trigger an Effect, Map Transition, or Dialog
  • - PC controlled map transition - via trigger area, interaction, dialog, or map usage

These mechanisms should already be part of the basic gameplay and just need to be "placeable" by the GM toolset.

There are many, many "adventure creators" out there, and there are many, many players that either don't want to play with others, or groups that don't want a GM.

Last edited by Eldarth; 03/06/17 02:59 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
*sigh*
Can someone explain me, why it is so hard to understand, what the GM-Mode is meant for, and why People wish for an GM-less GM-Mode, while there is an Editor which is meant to fullfill this purpose to begin with. Why would i want an Multiplayer-Mode, which have an Lite-Version of the Proper-Toolset build in, when i already have the Proper Toolset to begin with. Thats pretty stupid. It's like if you want an Potoshop-Lite Tool with cut Features and such, while you already own the Full-Version anyway...

To sum up my point:
Why do you want to have an GM Mode without GM, when the entirely Mode is meant to be played for with an GM Mode. If they would make an GM-less Game-Mode it would make literally absolute no sense, because they could've cut the Mode due there is already the Editor.

So if you want to make Adventure, let the GM Mode be GM Mode and use the Editor instead. Because the Editor is meant to be used to craft new Adventures/Campaigns, to make new Maps, or generell Mods ala new Classes and such.

Last edited by LightningYu; 03/06/17 04:26 PM.
old hand
old hand
Eldarth, there are two different tools coming with the game. In addition to the GM mode, they will release the divinity editor, which is the full blown toolkit they used to make the game. With that, you can make a standalone campaign, as well as assets for a GM campaign.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
E
Eldarth Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
E
I know they released "a" Divinity Editor with D:OS1 that was essentially a "hot mess." And the so called "scripting" was HORRIBLE and didn't even come close to any kind of existing scripting languages for prior RPG User Generated Content environments. If I recall, something like 6 months to a year after release there was something like 2 or 3 "mods."

I am totally supportive of a dedicated GM Mode. Absolutely. And so far it looks like they have done an incredible job of it.

I am merely hoping some of the "elegance" and ease of use I've seen so far has made it's way into the "Editor."

...and *have* we gotten "official" word that said editor would be released??

E
Eldarth Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
E
Originally Posted by LightningYu
So if you want to make Adventure, let the GM Mode be GM Mode and use the Editor instead. Because the Editor is meant to be used to craft new Adventures/Campaigns, to make new Maps, or generell Mods ala new Classes and such.

Absolutely agree.

...please direct me to the forum topic:
"Divinity: Original Sin 2: Editor" wink

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Eldarth

...and *have* we gotten "official" word that said editor would be released??

Yes we have.
It was stated (again) during last Thursday's stream that the editor will be released at launch of the game.

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by LightningYu
*sigh*
Can someone explain me, why it is so hard to understand, what the GM-Mode is meant for, and why People wish for an GM-less GM-Mode, while there is an Editor which is meant to fullfill this purpose to begin with. Why would i want an Multiplayer-Mode, which have an Lite-Version of the Proper-Toolset build in, when i already have the Proper Toolset to begin with. Thats pretty stupid. It's like if you want an Potoshop-Lite Tool with cut Features and such, while you already own the Full-Version anyway...

To me the GM mode NEEDS, absolutely needs, to be able to be played... at least in theory... without any input from the GM during the game.

The GM needs a certain level of automation should they desire it. How hands on a GM needs to be should be up to the GM.

We already see this in the actual GM games. For example shops? Automated. Enemy Aggro? Automated if attacked.

So yes, Campaign play-ability without a GM should be a goal.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Neonivek

It is, it's called a multiplayer standalone campaign.

How many tabletop games run themselves without a GM? You've completely misunderstood (or ignored) Larian's target audience and goals with GM mode.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
E
Eldarth Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
E
The original intent of my question was not GM-less GM Mode, but being able to create a standalone, GM-less campaign or adventure module that a single player could play thru. Along the lines of Neverwinter Online "foundry" quests, or Sword Coast Legends user-generated content. Or even NWN1 & 2.

Let GM-mode be GM-mode for "active" GM interaction with players.

I just hope the "Editor" AND scripting is much more usable and "packageable" unlike the train wreck of D:OS1.

Last edited by Eldarth; 06/06/17 02:10 AM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Windemere
Originally Posted by Neonivek

It is, it's called a multiplayer standalone campaign.

How many tabletop games run themselves without a GM? You've completely misunderstood (or ignored) Larian's target audience and goals with GM mode.

I am quite dead on to the intended audience. There is a growing audience for tools to make GMing easier than any before.

There are ones to make dungeons, to draw up random loot tables, encounters, things to keep track of players, keep track of monsters. Not to mention that the most common adventure paths by DMs are the ones that require the LEAST DM input to run... and the least popular are the ones that require the MOST.

The REASON why it should be theoretically possible for there to be no active GM input for a full game to play out is so the GM can chose where they are more active AND to put less stress on in game ad-hoc.

I am not saying "It should be automated so the GM doesn't have to do anything" I am saying "It should be possible to automate everything, so the GM doesn't have to do everything and can chose what to focus their attention on".

This is how GM mode typically works. Only a poor GM-mode would have bare bones "The DM does everything!".

Everything possible in the base game should be possible to set up for GM mode without GM input.

Last edited by Neonivek; 06/06/17 03:57 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Eldarth, there are two different tools coming with the game. In addition to the GM mode, they will release the divinity editor, which is the full blown toolkit they used to make the game. With that, you can make a standalone campaign, as well as assets for a GM campaign.

Nice, Thanks!

Last edited by Chili1179; 10/06/17 02:33 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
veteran
veteran

I heard that for Skyrim and it wasn't true. Find difficult to believe it now.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

I heard that for Skyrim and it wasn't true. Find difficult to believe it now.

Larian Studios did not create Skyrim.
We have seen the GM mode in action and the tools for DOS 1 allowed us to do just that.
Why would it be different for DOS 2?

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
T
stranger
stranger
T
I agree!

"The original intent of my question was not GM-less GM Mode, but being able to create a standalone, GM-less campaign or adventure module that a single player could play thru. Along the lines of Neverwinter Online "foundry" quests, or Sword Coast Legends user-generated content. Or even NWN1 & 2.

Let GM-mode be GM-mode for "active" GM interaction with players.

I just hope the "Editor" AND scripting is much more usable and "packageable" unlike the train wreck of D:OS1."

Last edited by tavitorlf; 30/08/17 12:35 AM.
Zec Offline
I think that OP in general has on mind some sort of solo campaign that he could modify like GM on fly.
That is only idea that I have for that kind of single player GM mode.

made in Betanija
E
Eldarth Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
E
Originally Posted by Zec
I think that OP in general has on mind some sort of solo campaign that he could modify like GM on fly.
That is only idea that I have for that kind of single player GM mode.

No. NOT some kind of single player GM mode.

I want 1-6 "players" to be able to play thru an adventure/module I created WITHOUT requiring a GM at all.

M
stranger
stranger
M
In DOS1 you can create modules, triggers, scripts, etc. so I'm not sure why we would lose functionality in DOS2.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard