Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#604953 06/06/17 04:37 AM
OP Offline
Just wanted to point out that it would be cool if you could alter the element of the lizard breath attack at character creation, much like you can in many P&Ps involving characters that can use breath attacks. It would further accentuate their implied specialty as casters and allow heavier specialization into an element or the ability to cover weaknesses.

Chaotic neutral, not chaotic stupid.
apprentice
apprentice
So, you are saying that folks would be able to choose the "flavor" of their breath weapon. Lightning, Poison, Fire, etc?

That will help folks convert their Dragonborn characters from D&D once the GM mode is released, eh?

OP Offline
Yep

journeyman
journeyman
I like the idea. I was thinking this also. Yay for frost breath wink

veteran
veteran
This would be a little better than forcing Lizards into just going Pyrokinetic, but I think Fire Breath should be removed from Lizards and replace Ignition or Fireblood, and Lizards should get a racial spell which can't be replaced with a candle.

journeyman
journeyman
Nice, that would be an Amazing Idea. The Lizard Breath Attack is one of my favorites, if you could choose your element in the Creation, that would make it even cooler...

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Azmo
So, you are saying that folks would be able to choose the "flavor" of their breath weapon. Lightning, Poison, Fire, etc?

That will help folks convert their Dragonborn characters from D&D once the GM mode is released, eh?

I can imagine poison breath. Actually I met a person who had this skill already. Even human not lizard. But lightning breath ? Huh, ... cant imagine.
Also, Lizards are cold-blood so they cant breath out Ice. It would make them unconscious. opa
So make some limited selection of breaths would be wise.
Originally Posted by LightningYu
... if you could choose your element in the Creation, that would make it even cooler...
Right, wait for GM has no sense.

Anyway, when I breath fire, then I am somehow resistant, right? The element should be flowed by resistance. e.g. Fire lizard should get 10% natural fire resistance. --> Which means he could over-reach the max default resistance.

The breath should be stronger than now, but the usage of breath should be once per combat. For make it fun to play with (against it) make it so its on cooldown for 2 turns when combat starts, and goes on cooldown for 2 round on lizard's stun, unconscious or frightened.

Well, maby humans (other races) should get more points to alocate to attributes. Lizards gets less points to base attributes but make breath more highlighted.

Last edited by gGeo; 07/06/17 03:03 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by gGeo

Also, Lizards are cold-blood so they cant breath out Ice. It would make them unconscious. opa

THAT'S the line where your suspension of disbelief fails?

In any case the breath isn't even coming from the lizard anyway, it's a spell coming from a summoned head behind the lizard, so the lizard cold-bloodedness doesn't matter.

Anyway, when I breath fire, then I am somehow resistant, right? The element should be flowed by resistance. e.g. Fire lizard should get 10% natural resistance to fire. --> Which means he could reach highest resistance.

No need to be giving out extra advantages. But I suppose that could REPLACE the +1 Persuasion.

Well, maby humans (others) should get more points to alocate to attributes. Lizards gets less points to base attributes but make breath more highlighted.

Too late to be messing with balance like that, and in any case it's not a good idea to unbalance races with obvious metagame advantages. Elves are bad enough and other races should be brought up to that level.

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Too late to be messing with balance like that, and in any case it's not a good idea to unbalance races with obvious metagame advantages. Elves are bad enough and other races should be brought up to that level.
The game rule set is soooo rough that anything can be changed.
BTW look at Pillars kickstarter update, they even improved the touch spells mechanic. Compare it to the joke spells with "touch" prefix in DOS2.

veteran
veteran
Even if asymmetric balance was a good idea, it is a tough thing to do right. Three months to release and 1 patch left means there's simply no time left for things like that.

Don't care about irrelevant other games and their irrelevant different process.

Last edited by Stabbey; 07/06/17 05:50 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I think being able to select an energy type for your breath weapon would be sick as heck. Especially since even in Act 1 it's proven that there are dragons (Which lizards at least CLAIM descent from) can breathe ice blasts and most likely other elements, as well.

N
N
I honestly wish they would replace it with something more useful. I never liked the dragon breath idea for lizards to begin with given the other tidbits of their culture. Making the connection of lizards and dragons = reptilian, thus they are related, is one of the most simplistic, lazy, and overdone themes in fantasy settings that happen to have dragons and lizard-like races.

OP Offline
What can I say, most people like dragons and I'm one of em. The dragon breath, even as it stands, is a pretty clear shout out to P&Ps so why not run with it?

<----I found one!

Last edited by Kilroy512512; 08/06/17 04:42 AM.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Kilroy512512
Just wanted to point out that it would be cool if you could alter the element of the lizard breath attack at character creation, much like you can in many P&Ps involving characters that can use breath attacks. It would further accentuate their implied specialty as casters and allow heavier specialization into an element or the ability to cover weaknesses.

Depending on the colour of the lizard, that would be nice.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Yeah that would be awesome, hated planning to make a blue lizard with Hydro and Icelord and having fire breath. lol

M
stranger
stranger
M
Agree, this would be awesome. My boyfriend wanted to roleplay a hydro lizard that saw fire as an abomination and was scared of it. This meant basically removing that ability from the hotbar.

B
stranger
stranger
B
The animation is silly. It's been said before, but I feel it might be worth mentioning here again. The skill animation should be of the lizard breathing the fire, not of a disembodied dragon head materializing behind you just so it could breathe it over your shoulder for you.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I just wanted to add my vote saying I was never a fan of these kind of skill animations as well; I felt the same way about a lot of the 'spells' for the Diablo 3 barbarian. It clashes with most character themes and I ended up using it less because of it.

I don't mind simply not using it since it's just down to my preference, but I'd be stoked for a different racial trait or animation for it, or being able choose its element.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Blubberberry
The animation is silly. It's been said before, but I feel it might be worth mentioning here again. The skill animation should be of the lizard breathing the fire, not of a disembodied dragon head materializing behind you just so it could breathe it over your shoulder for you.

This. Also, it's a very lacking skill in and of itself

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard