Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Jomribh Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Great Things: Graphics, New Spells, New monsters, [u]Story line[/u], New Characters, Same great general game play!

Need Work:
#1 Source Points. You can only use top spells with a source point which is rare (1-2 per Act per party member) so I ended up saving these for the Boss, but never knew when the Boss is coming so I never used it at all. I suggest you can accumulate source points and you get these from killing Void creatures. Void creatures can also drain source once in a while with a spell.
#2 Leveling Up Unbalanced. Basically I learned quick to level up memory the most. You can then have lots of spells. Also, if you have any talent at level 1 you can learn all the spells for that talent, which made no sense. So every party member can have every talent. Old system was better.
#3 Searching. Never found a searching key. Didn't know about vines until 2/3 through because they would have highlighted in a search. I like to have to search for traps and treasure and hidden objects.
#4 Trees/Buildings in the way. Need to make more of the overhead transparent. Hard to see everything. More zoom out hopefully too.
#5 Weight carry. Accumulated a lot of stuff fast. Why are paintings 100lbs? This resulted in excessive trading and trips to vendors to sell.
#6 Ice Dragon - saved him, he came to final land battle but never saw him and he just chilled two of my party and left?
#7 Party member froze out. A few times 1 or 2 of my party had no ailment but could not move or cast. Only "end turn" worked. Had to quit and reload to remove the issue.

Overall, looking forward to the release!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Source points are supposed to be rare in Act 1 because you're on an island that's meant to imprison Sourcerors. There will be more ways (Such as source pools) to gather Source Points in Act 2 and 3.

If you only level Memory, the spells you actually have will be far less powerful.

A search function ... Id on't think there's a catchall 'search' button, but it's like left alt or left control that highlights stuff like containers.

I personally don't have any issues with the way the overhead transparency is, myself, but It hink that's gonna be more of a personal preference thing either way.

Carry weight works fine, as long as you don't try to hoard things yyou realistically have no reason carrying. Like, y'know, paintings that're bigger than you (I'm fairly certain, but could be mistaken, that the oens smaller than you don'tw eigh one hundred poudns.).

The Ice Dragon doesn't fight directly int he final battle. When he chills your party members, he's actually killing certain enemies that would otherwise one-shot you with absolutely no save.

That last point is definitely a bug and definitely needs fixed.

stranger
stranger
For 1, they've said it was just the first Act that didn't have a lot of source points and that the second act would have way more compared to the first one (I don't have the source handy though)
I can agree with 2, but it's not like you need to have all spells on all characters, considering you get bigger bonuses for specializing (e.g. more healing gained via necromancer)
3. I guess, I personally never had problems, but it's not like it would be bad to add
4. I don't see this as a problem either as you can freely turn the camera around or go overhead mode if need be
5. Don't carry paintings then? If you have someone stationed at a vendor you can just magic pockets the paintings to them anyways
(6)
Slane removes the monsters that guard the entrace that instakills anyone who gets near - can't recall their name.

7. Yeah this sucks, but hopefully fixed by release, at least

I hope they beef up the source spells at release. Considering you are only given a single source point at a time, the source spells that use those points feel very weak.

Last edited by cool-dude01; 08/06/17 05:20 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by cool-dude01
...the source spells that use those points feel very weak.

Right? I want to cast meteor, split the ground open with a huge earthquake, summon a "super elemental", or Flurryx20. Gimme some "limit break" source magic!

Originally Posted by Jomribh

#3 Searching. Never found a searching key. Didn't know about vines until 2/3 through because they would have highlighted in a search. I like to have to search for traps and treasure and hidden objects.

I agree with a good chunk of what you suggested but this one in particular I HATE. I find it hard to go back and replay BG and many of the other isometrics of old for the sole reason that traps and detecting them in this manner (with no passive perception) has one of two net outcomes for the player:

1) The player constantly has one person in perception mode leading the front of the party looking for traps and secret stashes, massively slowing down the entire game for no real reason.

2) The player saves often never knowing when the next super deadly trap they don't have time to hunt for is going to show up and ruin their day. They miss tons of treasure of which they had no indication was there. Forget to save for a while? Have fun replaying the last hour or two of the game trying to get back to where you were again.

If that doesn't sound like good gameplay, that's because it isn't. It's the game arbitrarily slapping you on the wrist because you have not played the game before or have forgotten where all the traps/loot were since you last played. Pillars of Eternity also did the same thing and it's the main reason why I have never finished playing it because I can't stand missing stuff but making sure requires me to comb every zone at slower than a snails pace.

Most of us know and love the old isometric gems of the past, but let's not copy their worst aspects into modern gaming please.

[Edit]
There are two ways I can think of that a similar system could be implemented that would not be an active detractor from gameplay:

1) Make it simple a stat that determines whether or not you see things without active intervention. (like passive perception)

2) Make it so that it will point out things that could otherwise be seen an interacted with but are not obvious.

The stat one would not be hard to do, but the second one would take a lot of clever level design.

Last edited by Kilroy512512; 08/06/17 08:28 PM.

Chaotic neutral, not chaotic stupid.
N
old hand
old hand
N
The paintings being so heavy and you being able to sell it is meant to be a secret.

Back in the day paintings were actually pretty darn heavy so that's pretty realistic oddly, but if they thought a generation of rpg players wouldn't try to pick up everything that wasn't glued to the ground then I got a bridge to sell em.

Chaotic neutral, not chaotic stupid.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard