Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Not sure how strong this change would make this build, but I thought I'd ask.
Could you please make PCs with the Zombie talent bleed poison? Every other zombie in the game does.
I made a fun zombie party, where each character has this talent. It's a very nice combo with Geomancer, Elemental Affinity, Elemental Ranger, Pyro and Hydro.

Also, could you please make Zombie talent characters consider blessed terrain hazardous?

Please take these into consideration. Thanks :)

Last edited by sunlightthief; 09/07/17 02:44 PM.
veteran
veteran
Someone else, I forget who, said something clever on this matter. I will paraphrase:

Because they are not ACTUALLY zombies. They are not ACTUALLY undead, "Zombie" is just the name of the Talent. Just like taking the Demon Talent does not make your eyes glow and scales punch out of your back, or the Ice King Talent does not make a crown of ice appear on your head.

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Yeah, that's true. Point taken, but still. At least they should consider blessed terrain hazardous. They don't consider poison hazardous any more but non-zombie characters don't walk into anything that's bad for them.

Hopefully the undead NPC will bleed poison then.

Originally Posted by Stabbey
Someone else, I forget who, said something clever on this matter. I will paraphrase:

Because they are not ACTUALLY zombies. They are not ACTUALLY undead, "Zombie" is just the name of the Talent. Just like taking the Demon Talent does not make your eyes glow and scales punch out of your back, or the Ice King Talent does not make a crown of ice appear on your head.

enthusiast
enthusiast

I think it's me you're paraphrasing! Hello!

As for Sunlight - I personally hopet hat the undead PCs don't have the zombie talent and don't bleed poison unless they want to. Some of the undead / skeletons in game already don't have the healed by poison thing, though I do believe they do get benefits from cursed surfaces and messed up by blessed (Which is already gonna make things hard enough.)

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Originally Posted by TraceChaos

I think it's me you're paraphrasing! Hello!

As for Sunlight - I personally hopet hat the undead PCs don't have the zombie talent and don't bleed poison unless they want to. Some of the undead / skeletons in game already don't have the healed by poison thing, though I do believe they do get benefits from cursed surfaces and messed up by blessed (Which is already gonna make things hard enough.)

Hi!
What do you mean by "unless they want to"? I guess it's either like that by default or not. Meaning they either make all zombies do this or they don't. Skeletons should not bleed of course, so it's not all undead that should work like this. But it's not the end of the world if they don't change this... I just think it would fit the theme better.

I also did not quite understand Stabbey's post saying they are not ACTUALLY zombies... how can you "act" like a zombie? smile I know it's a talent but I don't see how you can make yourself a zombie without being one. And if you become one, you should bleed poison just like all your zombie friends.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The zombie talent doesn't make you a zombie, it solely changes elementlal and healing interactions ; it does not set you to rotting or make you have a need for brains / flesh, or slow your gait as your muscles wither and your blood hardens in your veins.

Meanwhile ; not all of the undead you can battle in-game have the zombie talent - that is to say that there are actually some undead in game who are not harmed by traditional healing and are not healed by poison.

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
OK, then for me it's a poor choice of name for the talent. Same for demon. I would not name a talent like this. Maybe that's just me.

A
addict
addict
A
I have to agree; it's always seem weird to me how those talents don't actually seem to change your character. Especially given how large an impact they're suppose to have stat (Demon needing so many points to unlock) and playstyle (Zombie changing how healing works) wise. The wording is also slightly ambiguous

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by aj0413
I have to agree; it's always seem weird to me how those talents don't actually seem to change your character. Especially given how large an impact they're suppose to have stat (Demon needing so many points to unlock) and playstyle (Zombie changing how healing works) wise. The wording is also slightly ambiguous

How many points does Demon require? Exactly one point in pyro, last I checked. Same with Frost King, just with hydrosophist.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by aj0413

How many points does Demon require? Exactly one point in pyro, last I checked. Same with Frost King, just with hydrosophist.

Does it? I must be remembering D:OS then where you needed 5. Still though, it's pretty ambiguous for such a "cool" word that seems to more than it does.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It doesn't seem to do more than it does unless you only look at the NAME of the talent, because the talent descriptions ell you exactly what they do. Yeah, the cool word is maybe a bit much compared to what it actually does, but a lot of games d that. Hell, the tabletop D&D has a first-level spell called DOOM which... gives a very minor penalty to a few different die rolls. Compare that to "Demon - you're resistant to fire." and at least the Demon one makes more sense.

A
addict
addict
A
It doesn't seem to do more than it does unless you only look at the NAME of the talent, because the talent descriptions ell you exactly what they do. Yeah, the cool word is maybe a bit much compared to what it actually does, but a lot of games d that. Hell, the tabletop D&D has a first-level spell called DOOM which... gives a very minor penalty to a few different die rolls. Compare that to "Demon - you're resistant to fire." and at least the Demon one makes more sense.

Yeah, I was talking about the name of the talent and it matching the description. It's just a small bother, but small details like that can matter in overall experience. Honestly, though I'd say that both Zombie and Demon and a few other talents could do with being expanded upon because they're already lackluster as is. I didn't care for them in game 1 either do to how little they gave back for a talent point.

Zombie having poison blood would not only be thematically appropriate but it'd further the game play by giving it a form of leech talent, which would help with the fact that it can't heal traditionally. It'd also expand on strategy to allow a player to cause bleed on himself in order to cause poison puddle and heal at the expense of HP.

Likewise, Demon could do with something more than some fire resistance and increasing your cap at the expense of decreasing res in the opposite category. Something as simple as increasing your damage with that element would help. Maybe also giving an immunity to burn.

The talents in this game DO need work. Otherwise, we end up like in last game where only a few of them are really all that tantalizing and attention grabbing. I want to feel pressured in my decision of which talent to take....right now Im just not.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Listen, they're fine as is. One leads to you being able to get not only total immunity to fire with the right gear / spells, but actual healing from it. The other is already a MASSIVE gamechanger by giving COMPLETE healing from poison, but making you take damage from 'standard' healing.

Making Zombie cause you to bleed poison would just be bad. For a couple reasons. One of those reasons is fire explosions would be a much, MUCH bigger issue for you, since you'd near constantly be standing in oneh alf of the explosion component. Another reason is that even if it didn't get exploded, the poison would last forever and lead to a much harder to navigate area after battles ended.

A
addict
addict
A
Listen, they're fine as is. One leads to you being able to get not only total immunity to fire with the right gear / spells, but actual healing from it. The other is already a MASSIVE gamechanger by giving COMPLETE healing from poison, but making you take damage from 'standard' healing.

Making Zombie cause you to bleed poison would just be bad. For a couple reasons. One of those reasons is fire explosions would be a much, MUCH bigger issue for you, since you'd near constantly be standing in oneh alf of the explosion component. Another reason is that even if it didn't get exploded, the poison would last forever and lead to a much harder to navigate area after battles ended.

Wouldn't say they're fine at all. They're 'okay,' but not really all that desirable. And I do take note of what Zombie does, which is why I said letting one bleed poison would help with healing. Frankly, after playing around with it in both the alpha and in D:OS, I don't see it as being worth it because of the drawbacks. And the poison puddles wouln't be an issue cause you'd have zombie in the first place. Further, you'd already be in poison puddles pretty often in a fight cause that's your main method of healing; so the danger doesn't even change that much.

And Demon doesn't really help all that much. Resistances were capped at 80% in the EE and I'm fairly certain given the wording that they have an effective cap here too, in order to prevent healing from fire. Coupled with the decrease resistance in the opposite element, it doesn't really make one go "Wow, that looks nice!"

There's been multiple threads on the discussion on improving talents such as this one:

Talent Discussion Thread

enthusiast
enthusiast
Not everyone has Zombie to start, so if you take it at level 1 and no one else does, you're more a liability than anything else.

Demon is fine specifically because it gets your resist max up high enough to at least perfectly negate fire, if not heal from it (Since it increases the cap.)

And those threads are nice and all, but most of us here arent' game designers.

If any changes are made in the full release, great! Otherwise just hope for modders or learn to mod.

As is, the talents are fine for current balance, though not 'great'.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by sunlightthief
Yeah, that's true. Point taken, but still. At least they should consider blessed terrain hazardous. They don't consider poison hazardous any more but non-zombie characters don't walk into anything that's bad for them.

If Blessed terrain hurt Zombie-talent players, that would be bad, because in Act 1, blessed terrain appears automatically under players feet at the end of many combats in the swamp, plus there's a waypoint sitting in blessed water.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by sunlightthief

If Blessed terrain hurt Zombie-talent players, that would be bad, because in Act 1, blessed terrain appears automatically under players feet at the end of many combats in the swamp, plus there's a waypoint sitting in blessed water.

Well, that's largely valid, Stabbey, except that waypoint isn't always blessed and in fact it's possible to dialogue in such a way as to NOT get it blessed.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard