Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#606927 01/08/17 04:18 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hiya,

as a KS backer who currently has the D:OS 2 beta installed, I was wondering if we will get "fresh" new Steam keys for the release version of the game or will the beta turn into the full game?

Also, since there will be no more patches coming: Will the currently installed beta version be converted into the full game on release or -again- will that be a separate entry in Steam? Is it safe to just uninstall the beta now to free up space because the release version will be an all new thing anyway?

Related to the above: Why are there two "Divinity: Original Sin 2 Digital Collector's Edition Download" entries in my Larian Vault?
One entry is showing as delivered and the Steam key claimed (obviously the beta version I have installed) and the other entry says "Available! Claim now!" (Steam).
What is that second version? Is that the non-beta release version key? Or just a database hiccup?

Thanks in advance for any insight on the above! smile

Support
Support

The current keys/beta for the game will update to the full version.

There will likely be enough changes that keeping the beta installed would not help much with the full version download size. Even just reorganizing the current data could potentially change the compressed pak files by quite a bit, let alone tweaking various stuff, adding the other 2 origin characters and related quests and dialogue, etc.

You likely have a Kickstarter tier that includes 2 copies of D:OS 2 (such as the Kickstarter Collector's Edition tiers). That is a separate key you can request and give to someone to play co-op with, etc.

journeyman
journeyman
The EA version uses the same key as the release version and will be updated to the full version once the game is released.

You have 2 entries of the Digitial collectors edition, because the digital collectors edition contains two codes for the game.

(damn it 50 seconds too late)

Last edited by kcnik; 01/08/17 04:52 PM.

[Insert something funny here]
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks a lot for clearing that up, guys smile . I guess I will just uninstall beta / reinstall full version then. Doh on my part with regard to the 2nd key. I totally forgot about the coop focus (or friendliness) of the game for a moment.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm thinking about buying the game now...but as Raze says, if I'll be better off simply uninstalling the beta and fresh installing the final game--as I interpret what Raze said--then I see no point to purchasing now as opposed to in ~ six weeks. Also, if the last patch was in early May then I would suspect the final game will be much different from the May patch. Please correct my interpretations if you think they are in error...;)

Also, what is the "EA" version? "Early...A-something"? Or something much different, as in Electronic Arts, etc? Whatever that is, it sounds as if that version still has most of the final game missing...

So...what's the verdict: buy now...buy in six weeks?

(Raze...I hope they did as I advised during my stint with DOS1 and gave you that medal...;) Other companies should be so fortunate as to have someone as clearly dedicated as you are to Larian's customers!)

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
old hand
old hand
EA = early access.

As to whether you should play now or in six weeks, I think it boils down to how much you enjoy re-playing content. You are going to have to re-play the first 14-20 hours of the game once the full release comes out since the saves aren't compatible. For some people, they may like that. It gives them a chance to play around with different builds and get a feel for what they might want for their first complete play through. Others would be put off with having to replay that much content within such a short period of time. There are a multiple ways to proceed in the first chapter though, so at least re-playing it can involve different approaches the second time around.

And yes, there will be significant amount of content and polish in the full release compared to what's available now.

Last edited by Windemere; 03/08/17 11:36 PM.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Windemere
EA = early access.

As to whether you should play now or in six weeks, I think it boils down to how much you enjoy re-playing content. You are going to have to re-play the first 14-20 hours of the game once the full release comes out since the saves aren't compatible. For some people, they may like that. It gives them a chance to play around with different builds and get a feel for what they might want for their first complete play through. Others would be put off with having to replay that much content within such a short period of time. There are a multiple ways to proceed in the first chapter though, so at least re-playing it can involve different approaches the second time around.

And yes, there will be significant amount of content and polish in the full release compared to what's available now.

Thank you very much for your input...yes, I think it will be better to wait. I bought the first DOS a good while before they finished working on the game (after its release), and had to start over--well, I elected to start over twice because of upgrades--actually played the game three times, IIRC...;) I think I'll wait because even when the game ships on 9/14 I'm sure there will be a significant amount of patching ahead of it. Yes, I should have figured Early Access...thanks. Seems kind of strange to allow "Early Access" to only a fraction of the game that will ship...not much "access" there, imo. Thanks again!

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
old hand
old hand
It's similar to what they did with DOS, and I think it's a prudent move on their part. With a game like this, I don't think you would want to release the entire story before it's polished. I thought the EA was a perfect amount, really. Anyway, not long to wait and you're in for a treat if you liked DOS. This one really takes roleplaying to a whole new level.

Cheers.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard