Next Thread
Print Thread
#607861 22/08/17 07:09 PM
S
Sotnik Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Spears are finesse-based 2h weapons.

They are depicted as a Metamorph weapon, but Polymorph scales with Str. It would be very Polymorph-style if it scaled with the highest attribute or had several versions of scaling skills (brain tentacle!), but at the moment it does not. If some damage-dealing Huntsman and Scoundrel skills were applicable to spears it would be fine as well, but at the moment they do not. Well, only Warfare and some utility skills remain.

So, people, do you have ideas on the role of a spearman in a party?

Last edited by Sotnik; 22/08/17 07:12 PM.
Sotnik #607862 22/08/17 07:16 PM
A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Sotnik
Spears are finesse-based 2h weapons.

They are depicted as a Metamorph weapon, but Polymorph scales with Str. It would be very Polymorph-style if it scaled with the highest attribute or had several versions of scaling skills (brain tentacle!), but at the moment it does not. If some damage-dealing Huntsman and Scoundrel skills were applicable to spears it would be fine as well, but at the moment they do not. Well, only Warfare and some utility skills remain.

So, people, do you have ideas on the role of a spearman in a party?

....Well, that sucks. Polymorph scales with STR? Can't think of a reason to use spears as is then.

I mean, you could say that they give reach and stuff...but a two handed sword does as well.

Might as well make them a STR based weapon, at that point and let people decide if the better reach is worth the loss in damage

Last edited by aj0413; 22/08/17 07:17 PM.
Sotnik #607863 22/08/17 07:31 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Would be probably some kind of Evasive tank with bigger area of control since the Range of the spear is higher.
It allows you to hit someone in a hazardous terrain without endangering yourself.

Maybe in a party with 2 casters 1 support (Maybe Summoner/Healer type) ?

But honestly I prefer just a regular 2handed. It only seems the range is the difference (and lower damages?) frown

I almost want to try it but we have a very limited knowledge of the polymorth skill tree and it really seems more like a spec enhancement rather than an entire spec to focus on.
Keep in mind that if you spend a lot of point in polymorth, you have free stat points so you can spare a few in strength.

Deadknight #607873 22/08/17 10:30 PM
S
Sotnik Offline OP
OP Offline
S
That's the trick: polymorph scales with STR, but polymorph damaging skills are not numerous enough to invest into STR smile

Swords have their pros, but spears are some new concept after the 1st DOS, so I would really like to have more choice while using them. If a way to focus on AOO existed, spears could be useful there, for instance.

Last edited by Sotnik; 22/08/17 10:32 PM.
Sotnik #607882 23/08/17 05:29 AM
N
old hand
old hand
N
Polymorph doesn't scale with STR

One Polymorph skill is Strength, the other scales with whatever your weapon uses.

Neonivek #607886 23/08/17 10:16 AM
S
Sotnik Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Neonivek
Polymorph doesn't scale with STR

One Polymorph skill is Strength, the other scales with whatever your weapon uses.

I expect more Str-based skills after release. And the Tentacle is the best and funniest damaging Polymorph skill now smile

Sotnik #607891 23/08/17 12:49 PM
old hand
old hand
I think you don't take Polymorph for the damage.

I would appreciate a broader range of weapons for different attributes. I played a Necro/Hydro/Poly/Scoundrel tank/supporter/dd with Finesse and dagger and shield. It works fine. But I would prefer to use a Finesse based sword together with Warfare instead of Scoundrel, to have not to rely on dagger-based skills.

So Strength based spears in addition to Finesse based were nice. But will not happen.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard