Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#607997 25/08/17 05:07 AM
Drim Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Quick question.. Does the game have emotes? In the recent gameplay videos player characters do certain emote animations like kneeling, bowing, waving etc.. So is this a thing in-game or exclusive to the videos?

Drim #608002 25/08/17 06:49 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I do hope so.
Having emotes will spice up GM mode and co-op quite a bit.

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
Drim #609146 05/09/17 06:56 PM
O
stranger
stranger
O
Would be amazing if the game had WoW-like emotes such as /dance, /laugh, etcetera. It would be great for roleplay and videos.

OVERCOVER #609335 07/09/17 04:57 PM
Drim Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by OVERCOVER
Would be amazing if the game had WoW-like emotes such as /dance, /laugh, etcetera. It would be great for roleplay and videos.

Agreed. My friends and I come from the MMORPG scene so that would be ideal to give the RP more life.

Drim #609423 08/09/17 12:26 AM
Zec Offline
This is not mmorpg game, I do not see any need for emotes in game like this. Maybe to people from Larian add em as some patch in case that they have extra space time but IMO that is just lot of work for silly stuff, but then that is just my opinion.

made in Betanija
Zec #609464 08/09/17 05:42 AM
Drim Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Zec
This is not mmorpg game, I do not see any need for emotes in game like this. Maybe to people from Larian add em as some patch in case that they have extra space time but IMO that is just lot of work for silly stuff, but then that is just my opinion.

Not once did I claim this was an mmorpg game.. Simply where I come from with this question. For single player sure no need, but in GM mode it can be useful for those who want to give their character life when roleplaying instead of simply staring at each other or into the void. I can only assume people from pen and paper dont understand where I'm coming from.. But the emotes are already made for the previews. They are there. Shouldn't be that hard.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Zec #609467 08/09/17 05:59 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zec

It's not an MMORPG, but it is a Role Playing Game - and one that can be played with multiple people. I can easily understand why people playing it would want to be able to do animated emotes, and the value it can add to the RP experience.

What would have been silly is to have gone through the effort of creating those animations for trailer videos but not the game. That's just a wasted potential, in my opinion.

Gyson #609470 08/09/17 06:12 AM
Zec Offline
Originally Posted by Gyson
Originally Posted by Zec

It's not an MMORPG, but it is a Role Playing Game - and one that can be played with multiple people. I can easily understand why people playing it would want to be able to do animated emotes, and the value it can add to the RP experience.

What would have been silly is to have gone through the effort of creating those animations for trailer videos but not the game. That's just a wasted potential, in my opinion.

Gotta say on that I fully agree (did not seen those animations earlier) if the people at Larian alredy have done animations, and as said this IS game where up to four people can play together, it is logical to put at least some emotes. (especially if they already have them done in game)
I just though that they have no animations of that type and that would be silly at this time for them to make new animations and emotes for all chars. I mean i am pretty sure that folks there would just go headbanging

made in Betanija
Drim #609473 08/09/17 06:16 AM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Stuff that was created just for demo purposes is unlikely to have been as rigorously tested so I'm not sure it's necessarily a good idea to throw absolutely everything in there just because it's available; and you know people would quickly start to want all sorts of other things to be added, such as the above!

J'aime le fromage.
vometia #609481 08/09/17 07:44 AM
Drim Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by vometia
Stuff that was created just for demo purposes is unlikely to have been as rigorously tested so I'm not sure it's necessarily a good idea to throw absolutely everything in there just because it's available; and you know people would quickly start to want all sorts of other things to be added, such as the above!

Most likely so.. Quite the misleading advertising to a degree but just as said, wasted potential if it's not implemented.

Last edited by Drim; 08/09/17 07:44 AM.
Drim #609483 08/09/17 07:53 AM
Zec Offline
Originally Posted by Drim

Most likely so.. Quite the misleading advertising to a degree but just as said, wasted potential if it's not implemented.

I would disagree that it is wasted, if it helped in better advertisement of the DOS2, Larian needed every bit of help that they could get from supporters.
And I agree that if it is just few animations for demo and not properly tested then better that they dont put it in. Plus as stated if they would listen to every whining from us for every little thing...... the DOS2 would become something much much much more worse.... (imagine mixture of ubisoft+Uwe Bolt+ea)

made in Betanija
Zec #609487 08/09/17 08:04 AM
Drim Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Zec

I would disagree that it is wasted, if it helped in better advertisement of the DOS2, Larian needed every bit of help that they could get from supporters.
And I agree that if it is just few animations for demo and not properly tested then better that they dont put it in. Plus as stated if they would listen to every whining from us for every little thing...... the DOS2 would become something much much much more worse.... (imagine mixture of ubisoft+Uwe Bolt+ea)

Fair points, it's just that if it was cinimatic trailer or of the sort I would have understood and shrug it off but here they intentionally displayed players doing it. At this point a simple yes or no to this question would be fine by me.

If the devs haven't tested it fully I hope there's something modders might get their hands on and work with if the wish for it is there.

Drim #609491 08/09/17 08:10 AM
Zec Offline
Devs did said that they are implementing something like rag-doll system in game so I am guessing (just mine wild guess) that some of the modders would find some way to implement them if they get options to mess around with models. I seen in one of kickstarter updates that one of Larian folks messed with that editor that they are giving with game with models and stuff, but...... 6 more days and we will know....... SIX MORE aargh

made in Betanija
Drim #609583 08/09/17 06:18 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zec

Fair points, it's just that if it was cinimatic trailer or of the sort I would have understood and shrug it off but here they intentionally displayed players doing it. At this point a simple yes or no to this question would be fine by me.

Honestly, if it were just for the sake of attracting more sales, that would be pretty disappointing from an ethical point of view. As Drim noted, we're not talking about a cinematic trailer.. this is a gameplay video of four people playing where some of these animated emotes are showing up.

It's completely understandable that someone would watch that and come away from it with the impression that (at a bare minimum) the animated emotes shown are available in the game. I mean, if that part of the video was faked and "just for show", then what else from the gameplay video can be trusted? Would we just give every individual element a pass in the name of marketing if it didn't end up actually being in the game? I hope not.

I haven't played early access because I'm trying to not burn myself out on the first few hours of gameplay (which I risked doing in the original D:OS). But have any of you actually played D:OS 2 yet, and can confirm whether or not there are animated emotes available to players?

Gyson #609608 08/09/17 08:20 PM
Zec Offline
Originally Posted by Gyson
Honestly, if it were just for the sake of attracting more sales, that would be pretty disappointing from an ethical point of view. As Drim noted, we're not talking about a cinematic trailer.. this is a gameplay video of four people playing where some of these animated emotes are showing up.

It's completely understandable that someone would watch that and come away from it with the impression that (at a bare minimum) the animated emotes shown are available in the game. I mean, if that part of the video was faked and "just for show", then what else from the gameplay video can be trusted? Would we just give every individual element a pass in the name of marketing if it didn't end up actually being in the game? I hope not.

I haven't played early access because I'm trying to not burn myself out on the first few hours of gameplay (which I risked doing in the original D:OS). But have any of you actually played D:OS 2 yet, and can confirm whether or not there are animated emotes available to players?

I did only tried it a little bit maybe for 30 min or so and just looked now, I tried typing in classical ones like /dance and similar but there was no effect. Then again they did displayed version that is greatly different then ours. But no matter I think we will survive if there were no emotes plus from my personal point of view, I dont see them in this game anyway.... I mean Fane or Red Prince dancing..... ouch that I would really not found fitting plus I guess that some of them would rather get mad then cheery.

made in Betanija
Drim #609623 08/09/17 10:29 PM
veteran
veteran
Yeah, but emotes like wave, bow, cheer, applaud, threaten, etc.. those can easily apply to this setting. The game master mode alone could really use that sort of thing.

I won't die if it's not in there, but I will be pretty disappointed that they were only included in an in-game video for marketing/more sales. Like I said, that creates a situation where you have to start looking at all the D:OS 2 videos and wondering "is that feature really in there, or was that just for show?".

Drim #609635 09/09/17 01:14 AM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Since that line of reasoning seemed to begin with pure conjecture on my part, I guess I should make it clear that it was simply that: conjecture. I don't know that the emotes aren't there and would hate people to draw conclusions based on some throw-away remark from me absent-mindedly considering the changes since the EA versions.

Now that it's been mentioned, I imagine most things we've seen demoed probably are indeed in the game.

J'aime le fromage.
Gyson #609636 09/09/17 01:18 AM
Zec Offline
When you look on other commercials for other games and how much in theirs advertisement has been placed that it was not in final version of the games, I really find inappropriate that we take Larian on knife because of irrelevant things as are emotes.
I mean how much Overwatch cinematic and TF2 too had characters from games doing different kind of emotes and yet in games they can only do certain amount of moves.
This will not be different at all.
I mean if because of this tiny thing you think we should start doubting every thing that they say, and when you look how they kept relationship with community really on good level. That is really silly thing.
Believe me we will survive without those silly emotes.

PS final version is not out yet (but prolly wont have them nevertheless) but still game will be mod friendly so I am pretty sure some modders will find it amusing making some emotes.

made in Betanija

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard