Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Deadknight
Originally Posted by Mith
(1,5M copies x ~30$ = 45M $ compare this to 2M $ from Kickstarter).

Errr, it is not that simple so no. But we get the idea.

Retail price for D:OS is 45$. I take 2/3 of it, I think that is good estimate, but let's say they only have 20$ from one copy, it gives us 1,5M x 20$ = 30M $ - still lots of money.

You can't compare D:OS2 with Skyrim.
If I would expect that D:OS2 sell as well as Skyrim then I would expect not localization but full voice acting.

Last edited by Mith; 08/09/17 04:53 PM.
Zec Offline
Originally Posted by Mith
Lol, Swen exactly said during Twitch Gamescom stream that 130 people are working on D:OS2.
Maybe durig development of D:OS Larian has 40 employees but right now this is big company and D:OS2 look like 100% AAA title. For the first D:OS game Kickstarter was necessary to enhanced game but with D:OS2 it was used mostly for marketing purposes and to engage community in development process, they could do D:OS2 from money which they earned on D:OS (1,5M copies x ~30$ = 45M $ compare this to 2M $ from Kickstarter).

They did said that 130 people work on the game, watch on use of words "work on game" not "work in Larian" It is considered and people who are promoting game on shows like Gamescom and similar that they are working "on game" just look on orchestra that was doing music that was almost 30 people and they also "worked on the game" in this kind of jobs there is lots of stuff in tiny words and I doubt that Larian is on same level with finances like one Bethesda (no matter that they make better games evil )

made in Betanija
enthusiast
enthusiast
Larian as a company has like 40 people doing the coding and such. Then between voice actors, musicians, and so on, hit 120-130. Similarly, they make nowhere near as much money on the game itself. THEN take into accoutn that a large number of those game copies sold were sold as PART OF THE KICKSTARTER. They aren't getting some gigantic wall of money that they're selfishly hoarding (Though to be fair they do -need- a lot of that money to go towards the people who worked ont he game, because people need to be paid for their work), so...

M
stranger
stranger
M
Is hard to believe what I'm reading. Larian has 4 studios in: Ghent (Belgium), Saint-Petersburg (Russia), Quebec City (Canada), Dublin (Ireland). Do you think that in each one of this work only 10 people? 10 people need 2 rooms to work. That would be huge waste of money to rise new studio only to hire few people. 130 people in 4 studios is very reasonable number not counting 80 voice actors and 30 musicians (live orchestra).
First Kickstater had 20 000 backers, assume that everyone buy two copies, that's 40 000 copies and according to SteamSpy they sold around 1 500 000 copies of D:OS on Steam. And they are also selling D:OS on GOG, PS4, XBox. Copies sold during Kickstarter are negligible.

Last edited by Mith; 09/09/17 01:48 AM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
Obsidian entertainment have even more employees (around 170), and their last game, Pillars of Eternity was one of the best received games of 2015 (reaching about 4.000.000 dollars in its Kickstarter campaign, four times the amount of money reached by Divinity:Original Sin and two times what was pledged for Original Sin 2) earning toghter with Cities skyline 18.5 millions in three weeks, as stated here http://gamingbolt.com/pillars-of-eternity-cities-skylines-earn-18-5-million-in-three-weeks
Yet they needed to reach a specific stretch goal in the kickstarter/Fig campaign in order to afford the italian localization (2.2 million dollars for Deadfire).
So no, it is not as simple as it can seem (even though it would have been nice if there were additional stretch goals for more localizations)
EDIT by the way, I'd like to see more interventions by italian players in this thread, I know for a fact that there's a lot of italians who would greatly appreciate a localization in their native language.
Make yourselves heard

Last edited by stronzolo; 09/09/17 08:40 AM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
Obsidian is very different beast. They work on many projects in parallel (right now 4). Words of Josh Sawyer - Project Director and Lead Designer on Pillars of Eternity - from 2016:
"The company has grown and shrunk over time. It’s now a little over 200 people, with most of the developers working on Armored Warfare. The Tyranny team is between 20 and 30 people (I think). The Pathfinder team has less than 10 (again, I think). My team is currently fairly small, about 20 people."
So on first PoE works only 20 people. IIRC right now they have about 35 people working on PoE2. PoE is selling worse then D:OS (1,15M copies for PoE and 1,5M for D:OS). PoE have bigger discout during steam sales then D:OS - first 50% discount for D:OS was 21 months after release, for PoE it was 7 months after release. Unlike in Larian, money form PoE have to be shared with Paradox (publisher) and don't go strictly on development of PoE2 but are rather used to support whole Obsidian. My point is that buget and team size of PoE2 is much smaller then D:OS2, despite this PoE2 will have translation to French, Italian, German, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Chinese, Korean and Portuguese language.

Also I would like to mention that I don't have any interest in italian localization but I would love if they do polish localization like for any other Larian games before cheer

Last edited by Mith; 09/09/17 01:06 PM.
If the Italiens get a localization it will be unfair to the Danes.

There might not be many of us playing Larian's games, but we could be more, if only we understood the game's "in jokes".
Not only that. We have a whole part of our contry that barely speaks our language - Jutland. The deserve a chance to be civilized as well.

I haven't paid for three licenses to have the Italians get their own translation, and then have the Danes left in the gutter.

That said I think every country, apart from the main languages that Larian already does cover, should be able to have their own Kickstarter campaign and collect money enough to pay for sub'ing or text'ing.

Peace...

Last edited by Ayath The Loafer; 09/09/17 02:58 PM.

Great last words.

Oh no. Not again...
M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Ayath The Loafer
That said I think every country, apart from the main languages that Larian already does cover, should be able to have their own Kickstarter campaign and collect money enough to pay for sub'ing or text'ing

That would be great!

Zec Offline

There might not be many of us playing Larian's games, but we could be more, if only we understood the game's "in jokes".
Not only that. We have a whole part of our contry that barely speaks our language - Jutland. The deserve a chance to be civilized as well.

I haven't paid for three licenses to have the Italians get their own translation, and then have the Danes left in the gutter.

That said I think every country, apart from the main languages that Larian already does cover, should be able to have their own Kickstarter campaign and collect money enough to pay for sub'ing or text'ing.

Peace...

This is actually really best solution, cause if smaller companies would had to pay translations for the translations even like 10 or so languages that would cost them really a lot.
This is actually perfect solution, to bad that I doubt that it would get implemented cry

made in Betanija
veteran
veteran

Peace...

What sort of demented explanation is this?

Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

Peace...

See. That's what I mean.
We Danes can't even string together a coherent argument, let alone a coherent argument that is even slightly satirical, without being misinderstood.
How do you then think we feel about all the great jokes in the game, and us not having a localization?

But OK. I'll make it plain for even the hearing impaired.
A lot of nations could grovel for a localization. The main languages has been covered. That should be enough.

Great last words.

Oh no. Not again...
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

Peace...

See. That's what I mean.
We Danes can't even string together a coherent argument, let alone a coherent argument that is even slightly satirical, without being misinderstood.
How do you then think we feel about all the great jokes in the game, and us not having a localization?

A lot of nations could grovel for a localization. The main languages has been covered. That should be enough.

Then offer yourself as a sacrifice for translation purposes.

apprentice
apprentice

sorry but the problem is not justice, it's another
the Italian language is among the most popular in the world and is studied abroad more than German
For this reason the translations have always been "multi 4", ie: English, German, French and Italian

K
stranger
stranger
K
Italian would be very welcome.

O
stranger
stranger
O
Not all Italians speak English perfectly
we need an Italian translation

Una buona alternativa per protestare è comprare il gioco e richiedere subito il rimborso a steam, mettendo come risposta nella recensione che non è in italiano

Ma poi vogliamo scherzare, pure il russo il RUSSO, noi quindi non valiamo nulla per loro

Last edited by ollymaster; 15/09/17 07:56 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by ollymaster
Not all Italians speak English perfectly
we need an Italian translation

Una buona alternativa per protestare è comprare il gioco e richiedere subito il rimborso a steam, mettendo come risposta nella recensione che non è in italiano

Ma poi vogliamo scherzare, pure il russo il RUSSO, noi quindi non valiamo nulla per loro
beh! la russia ha un potenziale bacino d'utenza (e di pirateria) ben più ampio dell'italia (che pirata molto poco)
ma, probabilmente, anche larian cade nell'equivoco: molti di noi, per risparmiare, comprano vg dagli shop russi e quindi le vendite agli italiani finiscono per essere sottostimate

C
stranger
stranger
C
Come on larian, italian subs for the win

S
stranger
stranger
S
Since D:OS is a much more story driven rpg then typical ones, with a lot of text to read and fully understand, I'd be super happy if they include an italian translation.

The first game was beautifully translated by the italian community for free, now it's your turn Larian!

S
stranger
stranger
S
The game is already released. You talked about news after the release. Please Larian give to the italian community the good news.

apprentice
apprentice
I do not understand: I continue to find my italian friends who buy, even today, the first Original Sin as I see that the second does not sell copies in italy
today in Italy the gaming market is worth over one billion euros
on steam I find hundreds of thousands of games translated into Italian
why is Original sin II not among them?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard