Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
Hi there!

So I've seen this topic come up once or twice on the forum, but I've never seen the topic of leaving the developer console in the game properly argued for - so my goal is to break down the pros of leaving it in the game, and how it could be better implemented. Quick disclaimer, a lot of the points I make are assumptions, and I'm sure they've been considered before.

Firstly, why leave the console in? I'd like to argue for 2 main reasons:
Reason number 1 - It allows modders to more accurately test their mods in a large variety of scenarios quickly - by being able to add/ take away skills, skill points, gear and so forth. Being able to spawn items, edit skill points, buffs and de-buffs is essential in a case where a difficulty mod is being made - or a scaling mod for level scaling enemies, or perhaps a mod which perpetually spawns different enemies in place of the old ones. Now, I don't know what modding tools Larian is providing, and if such functionally will already be implemented. I'm simply going off the assumption that such mods might get created, and that this would aid in their balancing/play-testing process.

Reason number 2 - prevent cheaters. Yes, you read that right. Leaving the console in the game would actually discourage people to go and download/buy third party trainers. With the recent shut-down of the cheat engine forums, paid trainers are becoming more and more prevalent. However - as hex editors - they are limited in their capacity, and can most of the time be completely outclassed by the implementation of the developer console with a larger host of options. You might be thinking, "What's the difference between using a hex editor and typing in console commands?" The answer to the question is as follows: when implementing the console, the developers can lock out both steam achievements, and the use of online multiplayer with that character. By providing tools which are better than those you can get online, they're not only decreasing the amount of cheaters which use third party software, but also restricting the cheating to single-player, which in a CRPG is most likely to be the most prevalent type of cheating anyway.

Stemming from the last segment of reason 2, I'll re-iterate on my suggestion for the implementation - simply disable multi-player and steam achievements.

The two arguments I presented are the only concrete arguments a game developer would consider - which still leaves a large amount of people, who just like to have fun with the console commands. Add the late game weapons, get all the cool spells - etc. It might not be Larian's vision of the DOS2 experience, but those players do, and will exist. Better they use the systems provided by the developer rather than third party trainers, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, I hope I've been articulate enough in making my points. If you've got your own ideas, either for or against console commands, I'd love to know!

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
That would certainly be nice, especially speaking as someone who's a habitual meddler. After playing the likes of TES and FO I feel slightly lost going to a game where it suddenly isn't.

I think the matter of cheating shouldn't really be a big deal, I mean it's not a competitive MMO and people should be free to do as they please. I guess when it comes to the MP side of things peer pressure should be enough, though perhaps easy for me to say since I don't "do" MP.

They ultimately did the Developers' Cut of Divinity 2 with access to what was in essence a command console, so hopefully it's a possibility.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I think i'd rather not have the console, ... the temptation could be too much in certain situations...

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I would love the developer console. For those like Deadknight who would be afraid of the temptation to use it, you can make it so it's disabled by default, but can be enabled by editing the start up commands. If you have to go out of your way to save the game, quit the game and look up how to enable and use it online, it shouldn't be as much of a temptation.

For those of us who wish to enhance the replayability of the main campaign by using or using it to test our own campaigns we create in the editor, it is a necessity.

GMAddon1: Adds almost every single monster and NPC from the main campaign into GM mode, plus a few large custom maps to use in GM mode.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter777
For those of us who wish to enhance the replayability of the main campaign by using or using it to test our own campaigns we create in the editor, it is a necessity.

I know the importance of debug command believe me.
I have no problem if they give access to it, I just don't want to be press ` to open it.

Z
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
Originally Posted by Deadknight
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter777

I know the importance of debug command believe me.
I have no problem if they give access to it, I just don't want to be press ` to open it.

To enable the tilde key to open it, Shapeshifter was in-fact suggesting that you'll first need to input the launch command, i.e -console or -dev.

apprentice
apprentice
I would love a Developer mode

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by zulu2502
To enable the tilde key to open it, Shapeshifter was in-fact suggesting that you'll first need to input the launch command, i.e -console or -dev.

Good enough!

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard