Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Pivvalo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
While playing as a party with my friends as a loremaster focuser, it would help us organize our moves faster and more efficiently if i could examine our opponents while my friends or the opponents are making their turns. Being able to examine your opponents only during your own turn is kinda impractical.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Being able to only examine your enemies during your turn makes sense though. How're you gonna do it when you're not able to do things?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Could be nice, it's just a quality of life improvement.

enthusiast
enthusiast
"Quality of life" isn't always a good thing. I mean in turn-based games if someone else is having their turn, you should stay locked out of it. THat's just my opinion, and honestly I wouldn't COMPLAIN about being able to scan on not-my-turn, but.

veteran
veteran
In a turn-based, being unable to do anything, is more something of a fun killer, because people tend to get bored and feel restricted. If you are playing single this is hardly an issue, because you play in that case multiple characters and therefor will get to do something every few turns. But if you are playing 4 player coop, it can be a really long while, where people will tend to tab out or do other stuff.

Also it kind of forces you to have a loremaster with high wits, which is more limiting.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I agree!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by TraceChaos
"Quality of life" isn't always a good thing. I mean in turn-based games if someone else is having their turn, you should stay locked out of it. THat's just my opinion, and honestly I wouldn't COMPLAIN about being able to scan on not-my-turn, but.

I agree. I think the system they have now is perfect.

GMAddon1: Adds almost every single monster and NPC from the main campaign into GM mode, plus a few large custom maps to use in GM mode.
P
Pivvalo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
I see your point. I myself think that looking through the battlefield and your enemies while in a fight (by the way examining them) are both kind of a same part of the strategical planning phase before/during every fight.

V
stranger
stranger
V
Examining takes no action points and can be used by anyone efficiently - it just takes the highest value of loremaster from the party (as long as one or more people take loremaster as one of their main non-combat stats). There's no detraction from the gameplay by allowing people to examine off-turn, the alternative is just taking longer on your own turn to examine stuff.

Either Johnny the Rogue is gonna' spend an extra minute or two on his turn examining the stats and weaknesses of his enemies and figure out the best solution while discussing it with his teammates or, he could figure out and discuss what he can - potentially - do while his teammates can examine the monster's for him and let him know their weaknesses while he's checking out ranges/his skillbar/insert w/e here.

This also has the added bonus of them figuring out roughly what they want to do on their turn, before their turn, without having to consult Johnny the Rogue on every piece of information they want to know about their enemies and delaying his turn further because he's having to examine all the monster's stats whenever one of his prat teammates asks "What's the boss's weaknesses again Johnny?". Otherwise they'll just have to spend an extra minute or two on their turns aswell.

Obviously after the first few examines everyone's got a firm idea in their head, especially if the enemies all share an archetype (Like undead for example.), but I imagine not all combat will be so straightforward as all enemies having exactly the same weaknesses. You get my point.

And did someone really just say "Quality of life isn't always a good thing."
Wut. 0_0

Last edited by Vithzerai; 11/09/17 09:44 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Vithzerai
And did someone really just say "Quality of life isn't always a good thing."
Wut. 0_0

Video games are serious business, not for frivolities such as having "fun", whatever that looks like. biggrin

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Having fun is one thing, and making weird changes like that is another. I swear, Vom, you're one of the bigger trolls on here.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
If it takes no action points you should be able to do it out of turn to speed up game play. However I believe it is ranged based so there is am arguement for doing it on your turn. There's also an argument to say turn order.is important because maybe your wizard goes before you get to tell him it is weak to fire.

I personally default to the skill you are using. Its called loremaster so you aren't actually examining the creature but recalling what you know about said creature so you should be able to do it out of order since it a free action.

Z
apprentice
apprentice
Z
Originally Posted by TraceChaos
Having fun is one thing, and making weird changes like that is another. I swear, Vom, you're one of the bigger trolls on here.
Weird changes like that?

This is one of the most reasonable things already suggested on this forum.

apprentice
apprentice
Maybe a balanced solution could be to activate off-turn examination for every characters after someone has already examinated the enemy, and the off-turn examination will be updated as much as the last in-turn examination (so, no loremaster roll on that).

Last edited by drBrod; 11/09/17 08:01 PM.
P
Pivvalo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
I really like your lengthy comment and explanation.

P
Pivvalo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
I tested yesterday and examining is not ranged based. All it requires is that you see your opponents. Examining can be done before the fight (even from a very long distance). But of course if there are enemy summons or more enemies appear during combat then this is not very useful. In those situations where enemies surprise you and start the combat it would be really useful for the whole party to be able to examine them and discuss the situation over especially if the party is not using a voice chat of any kind. At the moment only the loremaster person will see opponents full info, but even a little bit of information from other players would be useful when encountering a brand new enemy.

Last edited by Pivvalo; 12/09/17 09:50 AM.
J
stranger
stranger
J
I think the most balanced solution (if there will be one) is to allow everyone to examine off turn, but you get the loremaster level of the party member who is currently in turn or next in turn order.
This would allow everyone to plan their turn but the loremaster would still feel important to the whole team. this would eliminate the "hey bob, examine that enemy there and tell me his stats" and would make the combat go faster.

Last edited by Jazkottaja; 12/09/17 09:54 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Jazkottaja
I think the most balanced solution (if there will be one) is to allow everyone to examine off turn, but you get the loremaster level of the party member who is currently in turn or next in turn order.
This would allow everyone to plan their turn but the loremaster would still feel important to the whole team. this would eliminate the "hey bob, examine that enemy there and tell me his stats" and would make the combat go faster.

Everyone already use the loremaster level of the character with the highest value.
The change propose is simply to be able to examine when you can't play. I'd like that, just not sure how easy or hard it would be to do since most of your actions are locked, so it's would be a fairly major exception.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard