Print Thread
#609906 11/09/17 06:38 AM
R
Rudger Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Low level 'Unique' weapons is a HUGE pet peeve of mine in damn near every RPG ever. It just really messes with me when you pick up a weapon with a paragraph story about how awesome it is, only to have it out damaged by a higher level claw hammer you found on a work bench... Sword of a thousand truths forged millennium ago by a legendary master sword smith, ohh wait this stick i found in the forest is better never mind.

Also, in as many RPGs as this has been a problem, there is an easy solution... Just make Unique tier weapons scale to player level. Please? Maybe I'm just not geared for the loot whore mentality, but I would just really like it if my epic sword didn't become trash every time I hear the level up ding.

Anyone else keep these no longer usable unique weapons other than me? Its basically all that I use player storage for in most RPGs...

Anyone else agree/disagree? Thanks!

PS: either way I'm still excited to spend a few hundred hours on this game... cant wait

Rudger #609924 11/09/17 08:21 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I must say, I totally disagree.

I like the fact that items have a level and stick with it. Otherwise, it could lead to even messier situation. Like you could have the idea to keep a boss around, and go back to fight it when you are overpowered only to find loot fit to you, this does not make sense.

In a way, if the stick in the wood is better than the epic loot that you have, you didn't follow the game the way it was intended.

Linio #609947 11/09/17 01:36 PM
R
Rudger Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
That was meant to be a sarcastic example... But, I allready did have to bench an epic weapon for a basic bitch sword that was higher level in early access.

Just thought of a contrary example... In baldur's gate if you fight the dragon and get the +5 holy avenger, you basically are set as a paladin. You don't level up twice and see a better sword at the small town blacksmith.

Rudger #609950 11/09/17 01:50 PM
old hand
old hand
It would break the positive stress to look and hope for better gear any moment, if you could get a good item at level 4 and keep it the whole game.

I also don't like the "item collection tours" so common in RPGs/MMOs, get this from x and that from y, then you get those from z and you are made. Otherwise you cannot go to A. I prefer a more random approach.

What I would like would be the possibility to keep visuals. If you like a low level armor (they frequently in games look a lot less childish than high level stuff), transfer stats of a better item found to it.

Rudger #609957 11/09/17 02:09 PM
O
stranger
stranger
O
Originally Posted by Rudger
That was meant to be a sarcastic example... But, I allready did have to bench an epic weapon for a basic bitch sword that was higher level in early access.

Just thought of a contrary example... In baldur's gate if you fight the dragon and get the +5 holy avenger, you basically are set as a paladin. You don't level up twice and see a better sword at the small town blacksmith.

Yup,I like how BG handle the unique weapon which makes it true unique. However, Divinity is more of a linear game. I'd hope it would be a more open world next divinity.

Rudger #610155 12/09/17 03:46 PM
M
stranger
stranger
M
I have to agree. An "epic lvl3" weapon really isn't epic when it is only good for 1 level because as soon as you hit lvl 4 you find a "normal" weapon that out damages it. True the epic/unique weapon usually have some sort of resist or added bonus damage to them.

I honestly think if they just changed the names to be "magic " instead of unique/epic it would make more sense, and have those items be truly unique/epic.

Rudger #610159 12/09/17 04:30 PM
O
stranger
stranger
O
Another way to solve this situation may be making some of the unique weapons upgradable by finding some rare materials later and reforge them.

Oakleaf #610160 12/09/17 04:34 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Oakleaf
Another way to solve this situation may be making some of the unique weapons upgradable by finding some rare materials later and reforge them.

DOS:EE had an interesting approach to this in the form of adventurer's weapons. You purchased a low level weapon and found upgrade components to it as you progressed through the game.

...Unfortunately the upgrade pieces were generally placed a bit too late which meant you often were 1-2 levels above their level tier. Because of this the weapons' stats were almost always outclassed by random weapons you had looted from enemies or bought from a merchant. Bit of a shame, but I did like the concept and treasure hunt aspect of it.

Rudger #610161 12/09/17 04:42 PM
veteran
veteran
The best unique weapons in D:OS were those, you could craft like Sword of Planets or so. Recrafting it every few levels kept the damage uptodate. Though unique was really the wrong description. ^^

Rudger #610172 12/09/17 05:07 PM
N
old hand
old hand
N
Reminds me of the Tyrant set in the EA.

By the time you finally get it... The upgrade is marginal

Neonivek #610220 12/09/17 10:52 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Neonivek
Reminds me of the Tyrant set in the EA.

By the time you finally get it... The upgrade is marginal

You mean by the time you get it you can find better at merchants, ... I made a post about it a while ago comparing the random loots with the Tyrant Pieces.

I'd personally much rather only have unique items at higher level, I am not really a fan of a scaling weapon. If it scales too well you find a weapon at level 4 and won't change until level 15? Meh. If it doesn't scale well enough it's not really worth it anyway.

In the game you should only start to get very few purple, red, unique items at higher level like 15+ (considering level 30 is max) and then get more and more. And the Divine ones (yellow) only at like 20+ (Those are approximate obviously).
It increases the feeling of progression.
In DOS 2 you find "legendary" (purple and even a few red) level 9 weapons ... Hardly legendary when another weapon level 12 green will be better. Now I don't mind Big bosses giving great loots but I don't really like merchants having those.

Rudger #610253 13/09/17 03:16 AM
R
Rudger Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
I like the idea to 'sharpen' them at a blacksmith to bring it back to your level, even if its expensive... Honestly most players probably wont care either way. But, I really hope something similar to this can be done.

Rudger #610256 13/09/17 03:37 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Rudger
I like the idea to 'sharpen' them at a blacksmith to bring it back to your level, even if its expensive... Honestly most players probably wont care either way. But, I really hope something similar to this can be done.

I guess you can just sharpen it yourself at a forge with rare and expensive components. You really want this one!

I guess yeah that would be ok. If the material cost more than a simple weapon replacement from the merchants.

Rudger #610312 13/09/17 10:16 AM
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
There are runes you can craft although it is unclear (to me anyway) what they are for. If you could enchant a weapon (or armour) with a rune that would be cool. Perhaps you can - we will see.

http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=604438

lx07 #610317 13/09/17 10:42 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by lx07
There are runes you can craft although it is unclear (to me anyway) what they are for. If you could enchant a weapon (or armour) with a rune that would be cool. Perhaps you can - we will see.

http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=604438

That is indeed their intended purpose as seen on one of their Kickstarter videos.

Rudger #610340 13/09/17 12:47 PM
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Thanks - that is good to know. Too many videos - I can't keep up...

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard