Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
C
Has Lucky Find been buffed, nerfed, or changed in any way since then? Just trying to make sure so that I don't waste my points, especially since it means I'll be effectively telling my friends to never open a box unless I'm there, or else we'll be reducing the chance of getting anything out of the skill even further, making it seem even weaker than normal.

I ask because I've only came back to the game recently, in preparation for full release. Back during the second week or so of EA, there were major discussions in the Steam forums and Reddit regarding Lucky Find feeling awkward. It was better to ignore all boxes, chests, etc, until you had decent levels of Lucky Find, in hopes of getting something of value. People also ended up determining that there was basically no different in drop chance or rarity between the highest level of the skill and the minimal input, but I can't find the threads on that. Additionally, pickpocketing and bartering were far superior for making money due to the consistency of the skills, and the fact that there's something you can take, buy or sell with basically every NPC, but very few objects actually rewarded you with 'lucky' loot - and when they did, it was generally insignificant, regardless of skill level.

Additionally, back then I did two runs with lucky find, one where I opened every chest with whatever lucky find level I had at the time, and one where I saved every chest until I had 3 - 5 LF. Although this is subjective to my runs, and I didn't record results, I definitely felt there wasn't enough reason for me to invest in the skill over significantly more consistent and lucrative skills.

Last edited by CameronHall; 13/09/17 12:13 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
I hate Lucky Find personally which is why I ignore it entirely.

It slows down the game to a crawl MORE so with more players and is a really boring civil skill that eats up your points.

Then again it is why I also ignore bartering and THANKFULLY as long as you play intelligently you never need to invest heavily into it.

Last edited by Neonivek; 13/09/17 12:44 PM.
old hand
old hand
Lucky Charm? Don't know the term Lucky Find but it might be a changed name.

I had it on some playthroughs with 3 points in and it procced rather seldomly. I felt not really rewarded. However some told me that it might be of bigger influence later in game, changing for example also the quality of items in the loot. Don't know wether it is correct.

C
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
C
Meant Lucky Charm, yes. I haven't played the game in almost a year. I just remembered it saying 'lucky find' every time you found something from the skill, so I must have correlated it with that.

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
i ran a lucky find build once and got 2 blue items in the first 15 minutes of the game, i get it i was just lucky but getting items with high shields so early really changed that playthrough a lot, so i'm gonna invest in it

old hand
old hand
Let it put this way: what better "must have" civil abilities are there? I need Loremaster, Thievery and Bartering (as I have few money all the time).

Because of the uncomfortable way bartering works I am not eager at all to find stuff with a different char than my bartering char (my main). So I will put some points in Lucky Charm on him too. The fourth char gets Persuasion or Telekinesis, not sure about it. Sneaking I do not need.

Lucky Charm is better than it was in DOS EE. At lucky charm 5 you have a chance to find epic gear. You can probably get LC5 by level 5 if you luck out (no pun) with gear. +2 from rings, +2 from civil, and +1 from the magister's shield near Han.

So is it worth investing 2 points into civil skills? Eh, I am not so sure. I find Persuasion to be much more beneficial especially when paired with Pet Pal. However, given how many boxes, crates, barrels, chests and containers in the game I think the argument could be made that given time 2 points in LC will give you more benefit over the long term. Especially if you only loot with that character. Ok now you have to debate the inconvenience of gear swapping. Do you really want to have a lucky charm gear set? Do you really want to swap out gear to check every nook and cranny for something to open? Do you really want to always have only one character open all containers? In co-op do you really want to remove the gear find fun from your partners?

It is all up in the air. I think if you have a ranger they would benefit the most from lucky charm because of the frequency that you get arrows as a proc. Also LC increases the gold that is dropped from containers. But it all comes down to how you want to play.

I usually run Persuasion main, Loremaster on a caster, Thievery on someone, and Bartering on a human. This may change if they add more crafting civil skills in release.

stranger
stranger
My personal experience i had 2-3 points of luck from some items I obtained, and it did trigger pretty often. I was playing EA last night, and would say the luck chime would go off every 10-15 containers or so, which is a lot considering how many there are. Most of the time I think it was just gold though, I don't think it holds value over the other abilities but again, that's my personal opinion and I never tested it. Maybe the gold equates the value of pickpocketing?

My brother had bartering up to 5, so everything went to him to buy/ sell and after a few hours we had more money we knew what to do with.. 10k ish with the best gear we could find or buy within 4 hours or so

I was a thief, he was a persuasion bartering type. So if you have a larger party, having someone with luck isn't a bad idea, maybe to open the the big chests, not necessarily all the containers.

You said some people were skipping things to come back to them later and find "late game" items? That to me is a bit silly and I am not sure if that's worth it. For example you visit NPCs that sell books and gear a few levels later, they always have improvements in their gear to match your level and needs.. So you are never hungering for gear to progress. Plus you could do the same thing for pickpocketing. Since you can only do it once per NPC, you could wait til you are level 30 to pickpocket that guy in hopes of getting better gear, but when I pick someone, I browse, if they have some nice things, I take, if they have just a meh selection, i will revisit usually, if they are a frequent npc merchant anyway.

1. By playing the game and not skipping containers and content, I felt stronger than most encounters I faced, with a 2 man party, 2 levels behind, still slaughtered them. So skipping caches and remembering to come back and open them for hopes of an upgrade isn't worth it at all.
2. I don't think its much of an exploit. Sometimes we would reload before we opened a chest and the contents would be the same. Sometimes different. Not sure the rule behind it, but if you open a chest you've been "Saving up for" only to find level 2 gear because that trigger happens, it would be a bit disappointing.

Since I am going to have a 2 man party, I don't know if I would invest into it, I find sneaking, thievery to be my personal favorites and more useful to steal stuff before we kill magisters for example.. but then again its not perfect either. Sometimes I pickpocket and the inventory is empty, or lackluster. Or I pickpocket a key to just skip the encounter entirely and just unlock the door, but I still want to do the event for the experience, or not worry about getting caught stealing and reloading a save to avoid killing the whole town. Each of those abilities shine in the right moments, its just a matter of personal preference.
I am never lucky, and don't count on being lucky, so I steal, quietly

Loot tables change each time you open a container. But only for unopened containers. Loot levels are tied to the level of the area. So waiting for a higher level does you no benefits.

journeyman
journeyman
It sounds pretty difficult to justify the points. You have to remember to only loot with that character, and 2 sneaking would make them rather sneaky. 2 persuasion moderately persuasive.

It sounds like if you are at higher levels and are happy with your current social skills, then it might be time to start investing in it if the loot finds are tied to the locations. After the first chapter, it probably makes a BIG difference if you get standard loot drop versus EPIC loot. Sounds like I will start investing in it then.

veteran
veteran
Safe scumming does not help with loot tables tough.

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
Safe scumming does not help with loot tables tough.

save scumming is cheating, you people need a GM that refuses to allow any Mulligan, that'll teach you

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard