Print Thread
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Originally Posted by Neonivek
Originally Posted by Cyka
There was a post somewhere pre-release about the OPness of elves because of their ap abuse and free skills. And you know what? 4 elfs timewrap tactician incoming =_=

-1) They nerfed Corpse eater it no longer gives you "free skills", it is more like a free book
-2) Only Fane gets Timewarp and he is a undead human.

-Early game money saving compared to other racel lul + 1 skills.

-1 free ap + 10% free damage at cost of basically nothing

I admit you have to use it smartly now, but it is still outrageously powerful compared to lizard's lul breath that cant even hit enemies above or below you.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Just saying the proposed broken build isn't QUITE as broken as it used to be.

Though to admit there are far more times I could use that +1 AP and damage than I'd need the breath.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Originally Posted by Neonivek
Just saying the proposed broken build isn't QUITE as broken as it used to be.

Though to admit there are far more times I could use that +1 AP and damage than I'd need the breath.

breath is frankly useless after act 1. Heck, after you get your ranged tier 2 spells even, because you will be starting to abuse highgrounds and what not.

Breath also friendly fires incredibly badly and relies too much on positioning.

old hand
old hand
I made a mistake above, confused tactician for ea game classic difficulty versus explorer.
In this case the glass is half empty and those 50% buffs are cheap crap.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Hiver
I made a mistake above, confused tactician for ea game classic difficulty versus explorer.
In this case the glass is half empty and those 50% buffs are cheap crap.

Wait till you get to see Knilles greet you with a 140 damage crit for a level 4 boss.

Unless you abuse save scumming or something on your high ini physical char (you only need 1 high ini char now) to just break his armor in one go with scummed crit to a knock down arrow, enjoy the "difficulty" of bloated stat the enemy has to offer.

old hand
old hand
I only fight Knilles when im one level above him and his crew.

Its not a mandatory fight so im not that concerned about that. I can come back to Knilles later. But, as i said in other thread, this reminds me of an early ea version where enemies were just too buffed to have any kind of normal gameplay.

I generally accept that enemies are much stronger then me in the prison, and i want it that way because i want to feel as if i am in a prison - which makes escape all that much more necessary.

Are you having those fights while your team is on the same level, or one bellow enemies? How does it feel if you are one level above enemy levels?

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
I have to chime in and say that EA Classic felt much better than current tactician. You felt that the enemy was the exact strength as you but they often outnumbered you. So you had to play well to overcome them.

Now tactician is basically fighting the above but they are faster and have 50% more HP/Armor. The fights were already often uphill battles like Niles, but now it's just basically suicide mode rather than tactician mode.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Hiver
I only fight Knilles when im one level above him and his crew.

Its not a mandatory fight so im not that concerned about that. I can come back to Knilles later. But, as i said in other thread, this reminds me of an early ea version where enemies were just too buffed to have any kind of normal gameplay.

I generally accept that enemies are much stronger then me in the prison, and i want it that way because i want to feel as if i am in a prison - which makes escape all that much more necessary.

Are you having those fights while your team is on the same level, or one bellow enemies? How does it feel if you are one level above enemy levels?

It's on the same level. On EA, I used to do it below with ease because of the extra Wit and even if Knilles does get to act, his damage wasn't that riduclous.

But the problem is right there on tactician, the damage. There's almost no source of damage mitigation in our game outside elemental so when a level 4 knilles can deal almost 150 damage in a single turn while everything else around that level deals 35-40, that's a big "wtf". There's no tactic in that, just "Can you CC him before he gets to act and kill one of you" unless you already have good gears.

Not to mention the fight forces the special silent monk to join in now.

Last edited by Ellezard; 15/09/17 01:08 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Nivv
I looked at Camp Boss Griff and various others across classic and tactician difficulty via loremaster/examine, main difference is that Vitality, Physical defense, Magic Defense, and damage of all NPCs get a passive 50% increase via difficulty setting buff. No other stats, talents, or traits appear to be different. Straight up 50%, so with stronger enemies that increase is bound to be massive.

That's ridiculous on principle. Neonivek has it right. Not only is a stat buff a shitty way of implementing Tactician, but this was a stretch goal! Larian specifically said they were spending time and money to add this up-front. It's especially galling because Tactician in D:OS 1 was a much more interesting implementation, and this is a major step back.

EDIT: Even if a mere stat boost was okay, +50% is FAR too big a stat boost to be reasonable to deal with in a game which is intended to be difficult by design in Classic.

Originally Posted by Cyka
breath is frankly useless after act 1. Heck, after you get your ranged tier 2 spells even, because you will be starting to abuse highgrounds and what not.

Breath also friendly fires incredibly badly and relies too much on positioning.

Lizard Breath was always bad, Shed Skin would have been better, but Larian decided that they wanted fire breath and they're sticking with it.

Last edited by Stabbey; 15/09/17 02:04 PM.
old hand
old hand
About the 50% buff to enemies in Tactician, I believe that is very similar to what DOS:EE did as well, along with other changes to mob size and abilities. So EE wasn't some bastion of non-buffing ecstasy in Tact mode.

But as gamers I think over the years we've made it fairly clear to devs that we don't like difficulty that is based just on a multiplication factor of stats, unless the rewards made it worth it. It would be cool if Tactician exists with the new tactics and not the boosted stats. To me that makes a more interesting AI. I'm still glad they have this level, DOS1 imo never really had a very hard mode for those who like to game in that manner.

For Mods:
I know unpacking the files and editing a single file you could take these stat boosts out super easily in DOS1, without messing with the rest of the tactical changes. That seems like it would be a good one to have in DOS2 to. Actually going through a final run of DOS:EE with Epic Encounters mod, but I'll have to check out the mod section to see if we have an unpacker for Dos2.

A mod to go back and forth between Classic/Tactical would be nice, but perhaps there are programmatic reasons why that can't work.

Still looks like I'll want a speed mod to mozy around in the world a bit quicker.

Auto-heal out of combat is a QoL feature mod I like to.

Edit: Noticed the EE unpacker works, seems like there should be a very quick and easy way to knock the stats boosts off in Tactician mode.

Last edited by Horrorscope; 15/09/17 03:12 PM.
old hand
old hand
Yup, sick and tired of the same cheap trick over the years sold as something it isnt.
Sick and tired of those marketing lies in general, sick and tired of double speak.

Anyway, maybe the stat buffs could be kept at 25% so it doesnt turn out there is no difference in Ai, enemy composition or anything else between the difficulty tiers. Although of course it would be best if someone would go over every enemy and maybe buff only specific ones where it would make sense from a narrative angle.

I would also like to win lottery today.

I
journeyman
journeyman
I
I just had an encounter vs a group of magisters.
One of them had an evasive aura but instead of 1 or 2 turns he had that permanetly giving everyone +90% dodge chance.

How are supposed to beat that?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Irons
I just had an encounter vs a group of magisters.
One of them had an evasive aura but instead of 1 or 2 turns he had that permanetly giving everyone +90% dodge chance.

How are supposed to beat that?

Well I guess that's one way to force people into using magic AoE.

Or teleport him out of the group.

Last edited by Ellezard; 15/09/17 05:01 PM.
I
journeyman
journeyman
I
Teleporting him out of the group if it even would work, wouldn't help as in the End he would still remain and you can't kill him.

Physical Aoe also doesn't work

But I have to admit that I didn'nt bother much as i just solved it per a conversation option.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Irons
Teleporting him out of the group if it even would work, wouldn't help as in the End he would still remain and you can't kill him.

Physical Aoe also doesn't work

But I have to admit that I didn'nt bother much as i just solved it per a conversation option.

From what I'm abusing atm with prebuff and so on

Burn-my-eye +20% Accuracy (Prebuff and later mid buff)
Slow -30% dodge
Flanking -20% dodge

You're stuck using those to really hit him and will probably have to abuse retreat cheese as well just to take down his teammate down.

When does this fight happen? I'm on my 3rd reroll for proper min-max so I'm not that far out of Fort Joy yet.

D
stranger
stranger
D
I ran into the same issue, luckily I figured out maybe tactician wasn't for me only an hour and a half in before having to restart on classic. I thought you could change difficulty after starting the game but I learned the hard way that with tactician you can't. Would be nice to get that as part of the difficulty description, kinda like how honor mode tells you that there is only one save.

I
journeyman
journeyman
I
in the Gallows first town ones you are of the ship, part of the powerful awakening quest line

addict
addict
It will be awhile before I get there then since I'm trying to abuse everything I can to have loads of money and gear when I do finish act 1.

Interesting enough.... Scoundrel no longer has a stealth skill. You're stuck getting metamorphosis for it now.

That's kinda disappointing. They removed a skill from a certain tree just to put it in another tree without a single care about the synergy the tree originally had. Now half of the moves are unusable because they require you to be in stealth. You can also no longer stealth steal so there's no use for the scoundrel tree anymore after level 1.

veteran
veteran
Sneak is available to every character. Invisibility is only another way to avoid detection.

veteran
veteran
Back in D:OS (EE), NPCs received a 20% buff to their health in Tactician mode. Also, in Classic mode players receive a 15% buff to their health (which was lost when choosing Tactician Mode instead, making the gulf between NPC and player health even larger). NPCs also had access to more skills and abilities in Tactician mode.

I think there were also bonuses/penalties to hit chance, but don't quote me on that.

That doesn't sound too different from what's being reported in this thread for D:OS 2, does it?

Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard