Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
veteran
veteran
The excuse you're giving is essentially that the game was poorly balanced for anything after Act 1. This unfortunately is the natural result of a game so large that it's not possible to do a complete playthrough with the same characters before the next build comes down the pipe forcing a restart. Because no one takes one set of characters through the game, they have no idea about an ACTUAL player's equipment situation. It was clearly a mistake for Larian to try to release a Tactician mode on Day 1.

The bottom line is that Larian set their expectations for a Tactician mode which was similar to the D:OS 1 mode. That stretch goal wasn't promoted as "Pledge a little higher, and get the exact same stat bloat that other RPG's throw in and call it a day!" Even if you enjoy the challenge, that cannot be denied.

A
stranger
stranger
A
[quote="Ellezard"]https://i.imgur.com/a9flMXC.jpg[/quote]

Why is he so witty?

Also lol at lizard party.

Last edited by Aryah; 18/09/17 12:59 PM.
T
T
Crit and first turn everytime? smile

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Aryah
Originally Posted by "Ellezard"

Why is he so witty?

Also lol at lizard party.

You need 1 high wit char to always go first unless the game forces you to go 2nd with something like 45 ini enemy while your ini is at 25. Going first will cause the rotation to be me-enemy-me and with my 2nd ranger having the 2nd highest ini, I will get to get to use huntsman ranged attack twice and instantly gip an enemy or, if I spread out my shots, knock down half of the enemy team before they get to act and instantly win the battle on turn 1.

And lizard party best party. I'm gimping myself so heavily with having Fane and Ifan using shapeshift mask at all time. So many good hats untouched and this will hurt me even more when they start giving 4-5 warfare or something.

Originally Posted by Stabbey
The excuse you're giving is essentially that the game was poorly balanced for anything after Act 1. This unfortunately is the natural result of a game so large that it's not possible to do a complete playthrough with the same characters before the next build comes down the pipe forcing a restart. Because no one takes one set of characters through the game, they have no idea about an ACTUAL player's equipment situation. It was clearly a mistake for Larian to try to release a Tactician mode on Day 1.

The bottom line is that Larian set their expectations for a Tactician mode which was similar to the D:OS 1 mode. That stretch goal wasn't promoted as "Pledge a little higher, and get the exact same stat bloat that other RPG's throw in and call it a day!" Even if you enjoy the challenge, that cannot be denied.

The only real mode that players should never touch on release is the 1-save-file iron man mode.

Tactician is fine because even with no knowledge of what you will run into, as long as the players keep their gears updated and try to follow a hidden set of path the game set for them that can be found by looking at the levels of the animals in the area, they should be able to do it.

I blamed the stat bloat too when I got stomped at level 1 to 3. Now that I realize how the game works and how they want to guide the players, tactician mode is fun again. The mirror is always there if I want a free reset too so the players are always free to retry and experiment with something new. No longer do I feel like I'm losing a fight because they have bloated stat. Instead, most of the time, if I'm losing a fight, I really did something wrong or chose a wrong approach.

atm, as long as you have the right gears, any build will work as long as it's not weird like "Fire and Ice master wizard" even in tactician.

And by default, classic mode should have been the go-to if they don't have any idea what the game will contain due to lack of wiki pages for all the quests and loots location. Tactician mode is a choice here and I'm sure that even without the stat bloats, if people go into fight with underleveled gear, they will still complain about that 2.7k armor which is the amount they will meet on classic instead of the 4k ones.

Last edited by Ellezard; 18/09/17 01:31 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
[quote=Ellezard]You need 1 high wit char to always go first unless the game forces you to go 2nd with something like 45 ini enemy while your ini is at 25. Going first will cause the rotation to be me-enemy-me and with my 2nd ranger having the 2nd highest ini, I will get to get to use huntsman ranged attack twice and instantly gip an enemy or, if I spread out my shots, knock down half of the enemy team before they get to act and instantly win the battle on turn 1.[/quote]

I noticed you also didn't bother to get memory. Is four slots okay for the entire game?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ellezard
You need 1 high wit char to always go first unless the game forces you to go 2nd with something like 45 ini enemy while your ini is at 25. Going first will cause the rotation to be me-enemy-me and with my 2nd ranger having the 2nd highest ini, I will get to get to use huntsman ranged attack twice and instantly gip an enemy or, if I spread out my shots, knock down half of the enemy team before they get to act and instantly win the battle on turn 1.

I noticed you also didn't bother to get memory. Is four slots okay for the entire game?

You get +1 slots even 2 level. Also bloodrose but that thing is so buggy you should never rely on it.

The only one I got Mem on is Fane who can do everything from physical damage (shield bounce op with good shield) to magical and inflict all type of CC.

Most skills have been heavily nerfed that normal attack deal way more damage and the skills should only be used for utility purpose unless you are forced to use it like Ricochet for multi-target, Barrage because you have 1 extra AP from haste or Skyshot because there's no way to get to the high ground. I mainly spend the AP on knock down arrow to keep enemies permanently down. Revisit every shop that sells it every hour and every level up and you will never run out of them.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Neonivek
Calling it bloat does not change the fact that enemies not being easilly CCed makes the game more tactical.

I have definately 100% played games where that was the case. Where simply buffing an enemy changed the way the entire game was played.

For example Freedom Force Vs. The Third Reich... The Gorillas are defeated in one hit with one of your heroes stronger attacks, making it a great opener. Yet they not only survive but their attacks are devastating. So suddenly the winning opening gambit means you have to carefully maneuver around.

The ISSUE in DoS2s case is the optimal strategies overwhelmingly still work. A lot of people's trouble with the game on Tactition usually translates to them relying on defense to survive a round.

I just wanted to agree with this as well, simply boosting stats can change tactics for sure.

I want to suggest another possible way of changing AI behavior without boosted stats other than one... Mod in +1 to +4 AP recovery for AI. That will give the AI more AP for more attacks/options for each round, definitely will be harder, change tactics on your end and not have meat mountains each fight. So the same idea I shared with reducing boosts, you can add in AP there as well. Also looking at how to make it a mod that you can just download it from say the Workshop, I hear that is possible now with stats. Hiver that maybe something interesting to test.

Last edited by Horrorscope; 18/09/17 04:34 PM.
addict
addict
If you loremaster them, they already get ridiculous amount of AP per round and some of them can move half a map for each point of AP while slowed. Pretty much everything starting at driftwood gets 6 AP per round.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I slapped everything to 25 and it feels just right early game. Was able to two man the cheater when before I couldn't. Sadly trying to rebump the stats up again will make the npc have missing hp.

old hand
old hand
I've been playing tactian mode and it is pia but so far i've manged to make a little progress. However reading this thread I wish i could downgrade it one notch. I'm also tired of the ai cheating. What I mean by cheating is the ai seems able to shoot through towers and over towers that I can't. I just can't figure out what option allows it to cast spells and shoot arrows over towers that block my characters. Also the Ai seem to have further range for spell or bows (i wonder if stats somehow increase range).

addict
addict
I made it to chapter 4 in tactician mode and i'm having a blast. smile

A
stranger
stranger
A
Just a quick question for people since they didn't mention it and I don't know if people do know about it? You do realize you get exp for the whole party killing things even when one character is dead right? smile I know its different from the first game and I wonder if that's what is making it so much harder for some people cause you only need 1 character to survive and not all 4 lol

old hand
old hand

Guess what i found out...

There is now LESS magisters in the Fort Joy courtyard, when you fight them together with that Paladin.
At least three or four magisters have been removed from that fight compared to the EA versions of the game.

Probably because they would manage to kill the Paladin sometimes so some "players" were crying about it.

I also think one or two silent monks were removed from the Flenser fight. Im not completely sure but i think there were 4-5 of them in EA, now there are only three.

How tactical of you Larian.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Been playing at my brother house and didnt seem to have any of the problems you mention. Yes some fights were bad early on but that was because I didnt initially understand the armor and shield mechanic. The second I understood that the game was fine. I did have difficulty with a few battles, like the one with the Fort Joy leader (the guy making monks and has 2 elemental magisters with him), but only because I didnt have enough damage output to knock down his defenses quickly enough. The outdoor fight with the bunch of magisters was also tough but manageable (with the help of the paladin). This problem went away when I decided to move forward and leave the castle. I had already found a way out long prior but decided to hang out a bit longer... that was a big mistake because the minute you get out, they give you that insane crossbow which has crazy damage output. Even without a single point into hunter, that thing was nuts in the hands of anyone that can use it.

There are some things I dont like about the game like not passing skill checks early on even though I was heavily invested in certain stats, and how they didnt expand much on talents and skills, or the dumbing down of crafting (no longer requires planning or skills), etc. The game itself is enjoyable so far though I have not gone far yet (just cleared fort job so far and hit level 6 outside in the marsh area.

I did finally realize why there was so much elf hate. Elves are so good that they might as well be broken. That extra AP early in a fight is huge not just for damage but also positioning. Its a hell of a lot more valuable than other racials so far. Hopefully the AP becomes less of any issue later.

Last edited by Marc54; 19/09/17 06:39 AM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by meme
Also the Ai seem to have further range for spell or bows (i wonder if stats somehow increase range).

Higher ground gives you a range bonus. I was also a little confused by this, but then when I got a character onto higher ground I witnessed that sweet, sweet range bonus for myself.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by meme
Also the Ai seem to have further range for spell or bows (i wonder if stats somehow increase range).

Higher ground gives you a range bonus. I was also a little confused by this, but then when I got a character onto higher ground I witnessed that sweet, sweet range bonus for myself.

i know higher ground helps but even when we are the same height they seem to have much further range; esp the ability to shoot over or through towers that block myself.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Hiver

Guess what i found out...

There is now LESS magisters in the Fort Joy courtyard, when you fight them together with that Paladin.
At least three or four magisters have been removed from that fight compared to the EA versions of the game.

Probably because they would manage to kill the Paladin sometimes so some "players" were crying about it.

I also think one or two silent monks were removed from the Flenser fight. Im not completely sure but i think there were 4-5 of them in EA, now there are only three.

How tactical of you Larian.

I don't think you're right on this. Right now there are 5-6 Magisters in the fight. There is no way there were more than 6 or 7 in EA, certainly not 10.

The Flenser fight in EA only had 3 Meat Golems.

apprentice
apprentice
Considering that we're talking about tactcian mod, some suggestion to beat the scarecrow near driftwood?
I've 2 character with glass cannon, which is rly good but it's also a tremendous handicap vs the perma-fear aura of the scarecrow. It's really hard to beat that scum with 2 dps perma-feared. Any ideas apart from respecs my guys?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by drBrod
Considering that we're talking about tactcian mod, some suggestion to beat the scarecrow near driftwood?
I've 2 character with glass cannon, which is rly good but it's also a tremendous handicap vs the perma-fear aura of the scarecrow. It's really hard to beat that scum with 2 dps perma-feared. Any ideas apart from respecs my guys?

Remove glass cannons. CC aura is a thing on tactician so don't even touch it.

apprentice
apprentice
CC on tactician mode can be a bit more involved than using a skill though
[Linked Image]

Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard