Page 1 of 2 1 2
#611835 15/09/17 10:12 PM
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Hey all!

Now that the tools are out (you can find setup and initial guides here), I'm wondering if anyone is able to make some video tutorials.

I think what we need are:
1) Starting a new project (most likely an adventure, for the sake of going big first, then narrowing down).
2) Basic need-to-know interface and tools rundown.
3) How to edit terrain.
4) How to decorate terrain and place objects.
5) How to place characters, creatures, etc.
6) How to path/script characters/creatures.
7) Other?

I'm new to modding but am very interested. The written guides are losing me a bit, and I think having a video tutorial with spoken step-by-step guidance would be amazingly helpful.

Thank you all and I'm looking forward to what everyone comes up with!

Paintknight #611849 15/09/17 10:26 PM
Oh yeah, that would definitely be handy.

Ghatt #611853 15/09/17 10:34 PM
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Originally Posted by Ghatt
Oh yeah, that would definitely be handy.

Yeah, the written guides are a very nice attempt, but seemingly incomplete.

For instance, when you start a new template, it gives you a flat, open space with a basic sand texture. Your initial inclination is that you want to start messing with the terrain. If you select the terrain tool from the top bar, you get this two-column sub-panel in the lower right.

In here, you're supposed to be able to create layers for the terrain (so you could paint basic grass, then paint spots of mud on another layer, spots of dirt on another layer, more grass, etc etc etc). Unfortunately, when you try to create a new terrain, it wants you to select a new terrain type, and then you get hit with this window filled with different file types and you're not quite sure what's what. I can find things that are categorized under terrain, but there's nothing denoting what's a good base, what are normal maps, etc.

I'm guessing that info is there, but I don't recognize it.

I think having some really thorough, high quality video walk-throughs would be vital to building this community (not to mention building some levels).

I think a great first series would be "Building a new adventure from scratch, step by step." Cover everything you need to know. smile

Paintknight #611857 15/09/17 10:37 PM
old hand
old hand
Yes, these are all good ideas. Larian were working really hard right up to the end on features and improvements and no one, including the community, has had a lot of time to document and write tutorials yet. The commitment is there though, and I'm sure we will build up a nice library over time.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
Windemere #611867 15/09/17 10:45 PM
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Originally Posted by Windemere
Yes, these are all good ideas. Larian were working really hard right up to the end on features and improvements and no one, including the community, has had a lot of time to document and write tutorials yet. The commitment is there though, and I'm sure we will build up a nice library over time.

I fully believe this. I'm certainly not saying "They should have these NAAOOOO!" lol

I am wondering, though, if anyone in the community is playing with the tools and understanding enough to whip together a level that a character could run around in and have some little effects going on, and some interesting items / structures in the environment? If so, a walk through would be incredibly helpful for getting folks on their feet.

I'm eager, just tough to know where to start / what to look for (or at).

Paintknight #611874 15/09/17 10:50 PM
old hand
old hand
As far as the terrain editor goes, a lot of the tutorials created for the first game are pretty relevant. Once you get past project creation and you're at the point of creating a terrain, you can make use of these:

The Divinity Engine Toolkit Tutorial Video Series

My main priority this weekend (besides helping answer questions) is to get my demo mod uploaded to workshop. After that, I will try to spend more time writing community guides. I was waiting a bit until Larian published all that they have because I did not want to duplicate efforts, but I'll try to get more content out there soon.

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
Paintknight #611904 15/09/17 11:21 PM
old hand
old hand
I can probably make some quick video tutorials this weekend.

Wind is right about the terrain editing stuff, that's all almost identical. A lot of the buttons are in different places though.

Paintknight #611990 16/09/17 01:40 AM
old hand
old hand
Going to stream tonight at 7:30 PST, go over some basics.

https://www.twitch.tv/baardvaark

Paintknight #612043 16/09/17 03:32 AM
Thanks for streaming tonight. Looks like you're still live by the by.

Paintknight #612045 16/09/17 03:34 AM
old hand
old hand
Oh Lol, woops. Thanks. Hope it helped. May start streaming every day for those interested.

Baardvark #612057 16/09/17 04:08 AM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Baardvark
Going to stream tonight at 7:30 PST, go over some basics.

https://www.twitch.tv/baardvaark

If it's not too much trouble, could you upload your stream to YouTube when it's finished? I think a lot of people there could benefit from it.

GMAddon1: Adds almost every single monster and NPC from the main campaign into GM mode, plus a few large custom maps to use in GM mode.
Paintknight #612261 16/09/17 10:50 AM
addict
addict
We'll be happy to incorporate all community tutorials on the wiki as well as in a sticky on this forum!
Let us know when it is available by submitting it to the Community Section or posting it here.

Thanks for your enthusiasm guys and gals!

CTRL+K the elf
Paintknight #614616 18/09/17 01:50 PM
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Hello everyone !

I am stupid and autistic retard screecher. As such I need hand holding and things explained like a 5-year old. I would like to request a tutorial to make a simple interior scene, which I can use in Game Master Mode from start (like File > Open) to finish (enter game master mode > select scene).

Also, I need all the monsters! Well, not all but some D&D-like monsters or a way to add them to the game master tools would be appreciated. Again, explained to me like I am a 5 year old screeching autistic retarded kid.

Because I am.
Regards,
-Drakkanis

screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!

Paintknight #614766 18/09/17 04:30 PM
addict
addict
We are slowly finishing up on the technical pages of the wiki and are starting to focus on guides.
Ideally, I would like to make small guides for specific cases (a level, an item, a combat scenario and effect) and accompany the written guides with small max 30 mins videos that have someone making this.

That being said, we are mainly focused on the game right now. Improvements and patches,... I'll be keeping the progress at a steady pace and make sure we'll get the tutorials we need.

For extra monsters, we have some lovely community people working on adding monsters already.
Expaned GM Options and Additional Monsters are two early adopters that deserve attention for their work.

Sincerely,
Kevin

screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Last edited by Larian_KVN; 18/09/17 04:30 PM.

CTRL+K the elf
Paintknight #616080 19/09/17 05:51 PM
stranger
stranger
Some wonderful community made tutorials are appearing.
Definitely excited to see where things are in a few months!
I'm still trying to churn out maps for people to use in their campaigns.

Paintknight #616768 20/09/17 10:09 AM
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
@Caiden, a little birdie told me you have some videos with the editor. Could you be so kind as to share them with us laugh ?

Regards,
-Drakkanis

Drakkanis #616865 20/09/17 12:11 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Drakkanis
@Caiden, a little birdie told me you have some videos with the editor. Could you be so kind as to share them with us laugh ?

Regards,
-Drakkanis

The video is is on the Larian wiki under Terrain Painter

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
Paintknight #616994 20/09/17 02:33 PM
R
stranger
stranger
R
I have a question as most of the tutorials I found are more and less stand alone, I would like to see and integrate some characters, story, scripts and dialog in the actual campaign.

Do you by any chance know how to do this? I assume I don't have to copy all existing levels of the campaign and add my NPCs in there.

Roach #617223 20/09/17 06:27 PM
T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by Roach
I have a question as most of the tutorials I found are more and less stand alone, I would like to see and integrate some characters, story, scripts and dialog in the actual campaign.

Do you by any chance know how to do this? I assume I don't have to copy all existing levels of the campaign and add my NPCs in there.

I have listed all tutorial videos I've seen mentioned on the forum on https://docs.larian.game/Community:_Getting_Started. Windemere's "Implementing a Basic Quest" probably comes closest to what you ask for.

Paintknight #617306 20/09/17 08:15 PM
N
apprentice
apprentice
N
I was looking into getting started modding but found very little documentation that was helpful.

I only wanted to add/change existing preset classes (something that should be incredibly simple), but the tutorial for that links to a character file that requires knowing the programming names of skills to add them to the class preset and I couldn't find any documentation of all the programming names of each skill/ability/talent and the naming scheme seems incredibly odd to me so guessing what each skill is named is not something I'd want to do.

Last edited by Nokturnel; 20/09/17 08:16 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard