Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Unless you're a ranger or scoundrel why would you want to limit yourself to one hander or two hander or staff vs dual wands? If a good staff or one handed weapon drops and you have points into the wrong weapon type you can't use it. Help me with this please?

Last edited by RetiredDad; 15/09/17 11:12 PM.
veteran
veteran
It's for those who DO want to specialize for whatever reason. If that's not you, feel free to ignore it. I often ignore weapon specialization early on.

Last edited by Stabbey; 15/09/17 11:44 PM.
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
I agree that early on it can be difficult limiting yourself weapon-wise (e.g picking either dual wield or two handers vs sword&board), but as the game progresses there are benefits for specializing. You trade off greater power for less flexibility.

R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Originally Posted by BemusedBear
I agree that early on it can be difficult limiting yourself weapon-wise (e.g picking either dual wield or two handers vs sword&board), but as the game progresses there are benefits for specializing. You trade off greater power for less flexibility.

Good answer, thank you

C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by BemusedBear

I wish this was the case - but, right now, getting 5% dmg from a stat, from warfare, and from a weapon skill, is really cutting short the usefulness of those weapon skills.

Right now, early on if you have put points into a weapon skill you have made a mistake. You are far better off taking a bunch of Warfare, spreading your stat points out among Str/Con/Mem/Wis - and even taking extra points in Polymorph to make sure your Str gets to 20.

addict
addict
If you know what kind of weapon you'll be getting, it's not that bad to have a few points already spec into the weapon.

But yes, you should hold them off until you get your Warfare maxed or something as that gives you the highest amount of damage. (Warfare is added after Stat and weapon are already added and rounded up)

After that, feel free to start dumping into 2h or dual wielding because the extra stat is huge. Like, you will never be able to compete with 2H when it comes to crit damage because of that +50% crit multiplier and when you consider that crit is one of a later multiplicative factor, that +50% crit damage is going to be HUGE.

Last edited by Ellezard; 16/09/17 10:27 AM.
G
G
Even then, if Warfare or the magic school associated with your desired magic damage increase is maxed, getting points in Polymorph and in turn dumping the extra attributes into the damage increase stat relevant to you gives nearly the same benefit as the weapon specializations.

Everyone has a 95% accuracy rate base so single hand specialization only helps vs folks who dodge a lot.
Increased crit multiplier on 2h weapons COULD be very impactful- were it not for autocrits (backstabs) not working with that weapon type, and base crit rates being very low. Still, it CAN be meaningful, if you had a rager (someone enrages you, you ignore being silenced and beat enemies down with your 2h auto attacks), no matter how niche and debatable in practicality that build may be.
even 10% crit chance doesn't make a huge statistical impact on your damage stats, so unless you're going Lone Wolf Ranged is still not all that great, and the same applies to two weapon wielders.

Basically, the bonuses aren't large enough to justify taking them over other abilities, especially when compared to dumping points into say Necromancy for the life leech, or Polymorph for the CC, utility, and extra attribute points, or virtually anything else. Even dumping an extra point or 5 into summons will likely lead to more damage and better survivability out of your team than just the "moar damage" and minor bonus the weapon skills provide.

But hey that's just mho. Don't let me stop you, and if you absolutely love them and can't live without them, I'd love to know why.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard