Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
BUMP! At this point I just need advice on what other party classes work well with Undead Fane to help him stay hidden abd heal him with poison. I figured Undead Fane + Witch? Any other good combinations?

My friend and I beat the first game in Classic mode and it was fun and challenging. Now we want to do the same in the 2nd game and also hope for it to be fun and challenging, but some reviews say you can have an unfitting party combination that will literally get stuck and will require to re-start the game. I really do not want that to happen... On top of that I wanted to play as Undead, which poses new challenges altogether!

Main question:
Could you recommend some 2 or 4-player party race & class combinations if at least one party member is Undead? For example, I want to be either Undead Shadowblade or Undead Rogue/Thief. That means I need poison for healing and all those other things that come with being Undead. What would be a good race & class fit for other party members? I figured maybe... Witch or whoever else who would have "symbiosis" with the Undead or wields poison? I think both of us will pick Origins characters.

Side-questions:
1. I loved being a thief in games like Fallout 2 because with enough Stealing skills you could get yourself some really nice top-end gear if you knew where to go and who to steal from. Even if your skill is low and you are low level, in Fallout 2 you can just save, try (and if failed/got caught), reload, etc. until you get the desired loot. Is it the same way in DOS 2?

2. I noticed that Rogues by default Scoundrel, Dual-weapon, and Sneak. What if I exchange Scoundrel for Lock-picking/Stealing? I assume I would be able to steal things early on in the game, BUT I would probably suck in combat without Scoundrel, unless my buddy picks a race & class that can compensate not only for me playing as Undead, but also compensate for me playing as Undead that/who cannot fight well... Now IF there really isn't awesome or good loot that can be stolen early/mid-way through the game, then I do not see a point in being a Rogue. After all, DOS 2 is not Fallout 2!

3. I realize Undead have a unique gameplay style that requires them to be somewhat separate from other party members when it comes to public places and such, but are they party poopers that ruin it for other party members who are skilled in intelligence/conversation/charisma?

P.S. Are there any exploits when you play as Undead? I noticed that if I take my mask off at the very beginning of the game, I get attacked ASAP, then I can pretend to be dead and attacks stop, at which point I can put my mask back on, get up, and nobody attacks. I am not sure IF that can be used as some exploit, but I do hope it gets patched/fixed!

Last edited by MonarchX; 18/09/17 05:17 AM.
veteran
veteran
1. No. Loot is generated in some manner which isn't exactly fixed form the start, but doesn't seem to be generated on container open either. There are some pre-placed items, but those are probably not dependent on being a Scoundrel.

2. It's impossible to do that. Thievery is a Civil ability. You cannot switch Combat abilities out for Civil ones. If you want Thievery so badly, simply drop Sneak and take Thievery instead. Sneak is possible for any character, points in it (at least in the alpha) just reduced enemy sight cones and such.

3. Yes, if they reveal themselves as undead by not being covered up with armor or bandages or the mask, people will flee or attack. So keep covered up.

Oh, and I would recommend Dwarf as your selected Undead [Race] because it comes with +1 Sneaking, and a vitality and dodge bonus.

Last edited by Stabbey; 16/09/17 05:02 PM.
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks! So... does this mean there is no way to have both Sneak AND Thievery? Not even later in the game? That's not right...

R
stranger
stranger
R
You can put points into them as you level. At character creation you're only getting your starting stats.

veteran
veteran
I also think you get a second civil point at level 2 so it doesn't take long until you can have both.

M
OP Offline
M
OK, more thanks! So, in general, Thieving is not very important to the game? I know it may help unlock some doors and chests, but after reading your replies I assume its not that great of a skill to focus on, is it?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MonarchX
OK, more thanks! So, in general, Thieving is not very important to the game? I know it may help unlock some doors and chests, but after reading your replies I assume its not that great of a skill to focus on, is it?

If that was a reply to me, you don't seem to understand what I was saying. No one has said that.

Yes, thievery is useful, there are plenty of locked chests to open. At least one party member should put points into it. But the chests will tend to have loot scaled to the area or your character level. You're not going to be grabbing the equivalent of Power Armor at level 1, so if that's what you're expecting, dial those expectations back.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by MonarchX

In my opinion, thievery is more important then sneak. Sneak doesn't unlock more things per-say

Compared to Thievery that will get you chests, lock doors and also help you pickpocket skill books/gold/potions and armor.

Hell, you can invest Thievery into 2 people in your party if you don't want lucky charm or bartering or w/e. Basically you can only pickpocket an NPC once with a single character. So with 2 people with Thievery, you can pickpocket them twice. (At least for now, unless it gets changed in a later patch).

P
stranger
stranger
P
It appears that the Zombie talent has been removed which makes me sad. I had originally planned to go Sebille and make her undead so she can hang with my friend's Fane, but now I'm not entirely sure what to do. I would prefer to go an origins character...

M
OP Offline
M
Yeah, I still can't decide whether playing as Undead Fane is going to be a major issue when it comes to balance... I don't want to re-start the game form beginning half-way through it, but I also don't want to miss out on a bunch of content due to my desire to play as Undead. Its just that I do not know WHETHER or IF playing as Undead has a high change of resulting in party-balance failure or content-skipping/avoiding...

M
OP Offline
M
BUMP! At this point I just need advice on what other party classes work well with Undead Fane to help him stay hidden abd heal him with poison. I figured Undead Fane + Witch? Any other good combinations?

T
T
You certainly want some geomancer for the sweet sweet poison damage, useful both for killing enemies and healing fane in the process smile

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard