Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
stranger
stranger
P
Yeah that is mostly the problem.

I registered just to post here. I read the whole thread and I have to say the arguments on both sides are interesting.

But it seems half the time you are not really replying to one another.

I think I agree with the argument that, all things being equal, the way the game worked in EA was too easily cheesable in tactician, and keeping the same mechanics in the game and balancing the game around it, involved breaking it for everybody else not cheesing with high initiative.

And I understand the other side saying that the problem with this solution, is that until primary stat is maxed, wit is completely useless on 3 characters out of 4. Which is kind of a validation of what I have observed so far, and a revelation that what I did on my characters (pumping primary stat + wit on everybody) is just useless. Thankfully I can respec. If that is not godawful game design, I don't know what is.

However, the argument that tactician mode should be accomodating to all, and not primarily to min-maxers is totally idiotic. The mode is supposed to be the hardest, so complaining that it is too hard with your suboptimal team is a bit a non sequitur. The real test is : are there several builds that are more or less able to beat this mode? Yes / No ? If yes, then it's a success. If not, its a bit boring.

However, the game mode to experiment all you want and have combinations that should not exist win fights and go complete role playing game, with an intelligence rogue, or equally strange stuff already exists, it is called explorer.

But, as I was saying, this does not negate the fact that right now, wit is not in a good place, and is severely counter intuitive to understand. It should definitely be reworked.

Now, in what way ? There are many good ideas out there.
- Replace it by dodge
- replace it by movement speed
- Keep it as initiative but rework teleportation (as that is really the main thing making it totally OP)

Also, one of my other gripes is the way the armor works. THe binary nature of CC / non CC makes it very frustrating, and also kind of self defeating in a game dedicated to these CC effects.

A better way to implement would have been to allow for all CC to go through (like with glass canon) but to increase the reaction of ennemies to counter these fields. This coupled with the reduction of the availability of teleport and / or the number of ennemies, so that you can't CC everybody on turn 1. Or that you have a choice to make between CC and damage.

Which is the way blizzard balanced WoW by the way, most cc is either broken by damage, or renders CC target undamageable.

It could also work with this choice to make, and make for some nice puzzles, as the WoW raid team has been one of the most inventive in PvE set pieces for a decade.

Last edited by Peysh; 25/09/17 04:12 PM.
I
stranger
stranger
I
Wit was useful for my rogue character until you hit level 11 and all important enemies for whatever reason had an extra 20 initiative ontop of their wit. I built my rogue HARD toward initiative to ensure that he always gets to go first. I equipped inititive for every bodypart and had the ingenious talent. At level 12 my rogue had 36 initiative which was way above what regular enemies might posses. But for whatever fucking reason all important enemies have 20+ base initiative making it impossible to compete with them for taking the first turn.
That's kicking horseshit in my eyes.
How am I supposed to beat 40 initiative? My ranger has only been putting points in finesse this whole time and she hasn't even reached 40 yet.

Tl'Dr
At level 11 It becomes impossible to compete for making the first move because many enemies have 20+ base initiative ontop of their wit.
Therefore wit loses it's single biggest virtue and goes from being good on one of your character in the party to being good on none of the characters in your party.

Last edited by iFreeDawg; 02/10/17 07:43 PM.
L
stranger
stranger
L
Scrapping the whole idea instead of balancing it is just lazy... stop trying to defend laziness please. I believe it could be balanced somehow. It was so fun back in FF tactics...

Y
Y
FF tactics was a lot more conservative about movement skills.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard