Next Thread
Print Thread
#613903 17/09/17 09:59 PM
J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
I decided to try my hand at a rogue, and I've been having a lot of fun. That said, I've noticed a bit of a glaring flaw in what I assumed would be an essential thief tool - sneaking.

Sneaking in combat is borderline worthless, due to the crazy high AP cost. Unless I'm trying to sneak away to escape, I haven't really seen many ways to utilize it efficiently. Putting one point into polymorph grants me invisibility as well as a free attribute point.

In the open world, putting more points into sneak doesn't seem to yield enough benefits to justify it, as being careful about positioning makes being able to sneak with no skills successful.

Am I missing something?

S
S
I don't tend to sneak in combat, you can get spells that make it a little worthless such as invisibility and teleportation. I would probably stick a few points into it if you are planning on being a thief though, something i highly recommend. (You can't beat buying a load of goods off a vendor and then pick pocketing your money back)

Last edited by SgtSilock; 17/09/17 10:11 PM.
veteran
veteran
Sneak in combat is pretty useless, yes. The Talent Guerrilla is also completely useless because of the high AP cost of Sneak.

They could make it so that armor type determines the AP cost to enter sneak mode in combat. Light armour = 2AP, medium armour = 3 AP, heavy armour = 4AP. If you mix and match armour, then the heaviest piece always determines AP cost.

veteran
veteran
That would be one way to do it. Another could be to decrease the AP cost of Sneak by 1 point at ranks 2 and 4, down to a minimum of 2 AP, or decrease the AP cost of Sneak by 1 point at Ranks 3, 4, and 5 down to a minimum of 1 AP.

J
stranger
stranger
J
That's the way it was in EA I believe and I thought my game had bugged as to why my AP cost wasn't going down as sneak increased. Guerilla was too powerful with cheap sneak so instead of nerfing guerilla a little bit they made sneak useless inside of combat therefore making guerilla useless because it doesn't work while invisible only when sneaking.

veteran
veteran
It's called Guerilla, it's to surprise attack at the start of a fight.

apprentice
apprentice
This is THE major complaint i have about the game right now, not being able to Sneak in combat....4 AP Cost...its a WHOLE turn just to sneak...and its hard as fuck, and Guerilla is only 40% more damage, even at 2 AP cost it would not be worth it to just Sneak and Attack...please reduce the AP cost of Sneak via the Sneaking Attribute...and i hate how they never respond to anything in this forum...i just hope someone is gonna make a mod for that

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
In Divinity Original Sin sneak cost 1/10th my turn AP, and was pretty broken. In the enhanced edition it cost about half my turn AP, which was ok because I could usually do a couple things then sneak each turn. Now it costs all my turn AP and can only really be considered worthless.

T
T
Agreed. Sneak is completely worthless at the moment in combat situations, and almost completely worthless in out-of-combat situations. That said -- I do like how they have handled backstabs now, auto-critting when attacking from behind; I fear that if they buff sneaking substantially, they might feel the need to remove the auto-crit feature of backstabbing to bake it into sneak.

I still think all sneak stuff should be in a single skill though. Sneaking + thieving. Spreading points across both is exceedingly punishing given the thematic overlap and the scarcity of available points.

old hand
old hand
Data.txt
key "SneakDefaultAPCost","4"

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard