Next Thread
Print Thread
#615235 19/09/17 12:54 AM
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
I am new to Divinity games, but am an old hat at RPGs in general. My personal preference on character death is they either stay dead or whatever is needed to revive them be something relegated to a quest, sideline plot, or even, in extreme circumstances, the endgame.

So when a PC dies, is there a way for the player to "roll a new character" on their own, or even as a workaround, they tell me what new character they want to play and I make it and grant them control?

Or do I need to come up with some weird reason they never truly die?

I'd rather not have to ask everyone to start over, then re-up the survivors' experience and gear manually.

Keep in mind, I have people who would like to play with me, but they are holding off buying the game until we're sure this is the right fit for us. I have not been in a game with other folks yet.

Thanks in advance for any hints, suggestions, etc.

Deadworld #615342 19/09/17 03:40 AM
B
stranger
stranger
B
Good question, one that will effectively need to be modded.

In the mean time you'll just need to ensure that players do not have access to resurrection.

Have them drop out/create a new char and drop back in.

Deadworld #618623 22/09/17 01:24 AM
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Well. After some searching, I have discovered that new PCs cannot be added to a game once it has begun. Which means if a PC dies, they're done. The party gets smaller. That's disappointing.

The GM mode functionality that DOES exist for this game is very good (some of the best I have seen), but it's just not quite there for me. I won't be asking my friends to buy copies of the game unless they want to co-op the main story with me or play whatever adventures other folks make with the editor. The game is still very good without GM mode.

Now if this functionality were to be added in the future by Larian or modded by someone, I am all in. Call me a GM. Until then, I'll just run my tabletop game at a table.

Deadworld #618655 22/09/17 02:16 AM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Originally Posted by Deadworld
Well. After some searching, I have discovered that new PCs cannot be added to a game once it has begun. Which means if a PC dies, they're done. The party gets smaller. That's disappointing.

WTF!!!
I've been like okay we can work around that for most things but when I say this I was like you have to be kidding me. How the hell am I supposed to run a long campaign with friends if this is the case? Do I have to keep exporting my campaign and reloading it if someone dies, everyone has to remake their characters, and that person has to make a new one?

This completely screws everything up and means I can't make death meaningful in a long campaign!

I've been working on making a long term campaign since launch day, bought multiple copies of the game for me, wife, and daughter, and it might all be for nothing.

Last edited by WMC51; 22/09/17 02:18 AM.
Deadworld #618937 22/09/17 11:29 AM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Okay actually thinking about this more there might be an easy work around.

I haven't ran a gm session yet so I'm not sure what in session powers you have. Can you take away levels and skills and change player appearance? So basically when a player dies you ise the existing character and just chanhe I not ideal but better than a copy amd past of the whole campaign.

Deadworld #618969 22/09/17 12:18 PM
V
stranger
stranger
V
All they'd actually really need to do is add the Respec mirror as a droppable GM item.
But I guess then you couldn't change the race. vOv

Last edited by Vithzerai; 22/09/17 12:18 PM.
Deadworld #618989 22/09/17 12:35 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
So we need a respec and race changing mod basically.

Deadworld #621682 26/09/17 09:27 AM
S
stranger
stranger
S
As a temporary fix. If you wanted to drop the character back to level 1, you can use the Human/Dwarf/Elf/Lizard form at -1 for permanency under status effects to change them to a "new" character. From here, you can manually change their attributes/skills/talents/spells/etc to what they want.

Not ideal as they can't customise their look and it would momentarily stop the game (or leave them dead until time for a bio-break/they reach a suitable plot point) but it would work for what you want. As mentioned in another thread, the status effect would still properly show any armour/weapons they equip, unlike the prebuilt NPCs.

The only thing that might be a nuisance is (and correct me if I'm mistaken) when you move from area to area, players (in any state) are teleported to the new land, including any NPCs set to 'follow party'. So whenever you load a new level, you'll be transporting a corpse around with you. That may be what you want to do? If it was my party, I'd leave the body somewhere safe while we tried to find a way to reacquaint their soul with their body.

Deadworld #621780 26/09/17 12:36 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
So on this topic, ive seen a mod that basically adds a resurrection spell. I would want to require it to ise source so it is a more limited ability. I also think it could add a moral conflict for players. Well cheap out friend died. Do we go kill someone and take their source to save our friend.

Nor so much in my game since source will manually recharge with "long rest." But I think it could be interesting in games with source vampirism.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard