Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
stranger
stranger
N
Nope. He's just Lucian's actual child and that's it. Not that Lucian seems to care, as I said, you tell him you killed Alexander and he's just like "Oh. Okay." Totally unfazed about the death of his own child.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I think that what they were going for is that Lucian was someone who looked at the bigger picture. He felt that Damian didn't NEED to be killed per se so he didn't, and that made him weak. In DOS2, he appears to be dead but actually isn't, working to repair the mistakes of the gods and his own. I think he feared the Black Ring and their potential so for him to lay waste to the elves was worth it(again a weakness shown through his own selfishness) and now feels that even if you killed Alexander, that's okay because he feels that its more important to right the wrongs of the Seven and fix the fabric of the veil than it is to do anything else. He can certainly be benevolent and kind, and when I met him in DOS2 he didn't strike me as cruel and apathetic, rather he was more deeply concerned with the greater threat. He knows you did what you had to do to get there. Lucian killed the other godwoken because he could not let another come to the powers of Divinity, lest all the work he did be for naught. He even mentions that he tried to be merciful in his killing.

The overarching theme of Lucian in all games is that he is a "Mortal" given godly powers. The theme of the games however, is that no "Mortal" should have that kind of power since people are selfish and make mistakes. Even the so called "Gods" aren't up to snuff, why would a human man?

D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by SeagullDream
I think that what they were going for is that Lucian was someone who looked at the bigger picture. He felt that Damian didn't NEED to be killed per se so he didn't, and that made him weak. In DOS2, he appears to be dead but actually isn't, working to repair the mistakes of the gods and his own. I think he feared the Black Ring and their potential so for him to lay waste to the elves was worth it(again a weakness shown through his own selfishness) and now feels that even if you killed Alexander, that's okay because he feels that its more important to right the wrongs of the Seven and fix the fabric of the veil than it is to do anything else. He can certainly be benevolent and kind, and when I met him in DOS2 he didn't strike me as cruel and apathetic, rather he was more deeply concerned with the greater threat. He knows you did what you had to do to get there. Lucian killed the other godwoken because he could not let another come to the powers of Divinity, lest all the work he did be for naught. He even mentions that he tried to be merciful in his killing.

The overarching theme of Lucian in all games is that he is a "Mortal" given godly powers. The theme of the games however, is that no "Mortal" should have that kind of power since people are selfish and make mistakes. Even the so called "Gods" aren't up to snuff, why would a human man?

If I remember right on my first playthrough (still on my 2nd), Lucian regretted his actions with Damian, saying it was a mistake, and also regretting his decision on the use of Deathfog with the elves and the Black Ring, and this was his way of "redeeming" himself. Although his logic is flawed because the elimination of all source would render him mortal again, and thus, open to invasion from Damian, and the fact that he can actually die. I can't imagine the pandemonium that would be wreaked if Damian were to invade against a mortal Lucian and kills him publicly. (Although it'd be an epic game to see for a 3rd installment). I agree with his decision that the God's had to be taken care of after revealing their true parasitic nature, however, his elimination of source is nothing short of brutal. I feel like Lucians decision overall is simply short sighted, and his guilt is overriding reason.

Despite all that I've said about Lucian and his guilt over his decisions, I want to say that were seeing a Dr. Manhattan version of Lucian, where he's more or less detached from human emotions and thinks on a grander scale that people cannot comprehend.

E
Erathan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
I have finished the game already and it seems that Damian is dead, like completely. DOS2 likely takes place after the return of Lucian from his imprisonment in another dimension after which he led the assault on Damian and finished him. It's described in some books and also depicted in some paintings in Arx. So his mortality at the end doesn't mean much, there is no threat from demons if you killed the Doctor (who, btw, appears to be their leader in Rivellon, further showing that Damian is dead).

Also, I sided with Lucian at the end and sacrificed my Source, and the ending was pretty much what he has described. He returned to the world and demanded peace, and all conflicts were stopped.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
DOS2 takes place in around the 1240s, IIRC, whereas D2 was 1300 when Lucian was freed and Damian was still on the rampage. But the lore is a flexible thing, my obligatory comment being "Lucian is a guy!? Mine wasn't!"

J'aime le fromage.
E
Erathan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
It looks like Lucian banished Damian to Nemesis by stabbing him in the chest with a two-hander, which is an original way of doing things. At least that's what they show in the paintings. Also, in DOSEE you can meet with the guys from Nemesis searching for imps and they mention that they serve the demons which indicates that Nemesis is just a demon homeworld according to the new lore, and not the dimention they occupied because of Damian.

D
stranger
stranger
D
That's a bit absurd that the developers/writers wouldn't include that in the game in a more grandiose way. Damian is practically the poster boy for the evil side of things.

Can you double check the books and post them, please? I stopped reading a lot of the books towards end game, but I'm more interested to see how they have depicted it.

Larian has a funny way of writing, where their individual scenes are detailed but the story itself isn't. I'm sure everyone has fond memories of a certain imp chatting a hole in your skull to effectively state "a dargon gon get u". And then in this game every character interaction is handled with care and talent, and their emotions and attitudes are expertly conveyed, and even little flavour quirks are depicted in lovely detail; but then the whole story is that 'Cthulhu was actually king of the whole world but then his friends pushed him into a well and now he came back with insect friends who have a strange idea of how annexation works and then your dad-insert is a man in a lead box who is probably some sort of sociopath and THEN EVERYONE WAS SKELETONS!'

It's really strange, like whoever storyboarded it all left out a couple of segments and turned to their employees going "Okay, now fill in the blanks with a little extra spice, okay?" and the expert writers wrote it down exactly as on the whiteboard and nothing else. Why was Ahru even in the game? He was in literally one room the entire game. And I'm dang certain he was a CAT last time I saw him. He was a CAT and he said he'd NEVER turn human AGAIN, and then he's sitting there with his rasta hair and claiming to be some sort of high ranking person in the divine order.
Did I need to play D1, D2, and all the other games to get this?

I know nothing of Lucian and even I could tell the way he was written was a complete arsepull to give a twist at the end, and why is Dallis a dragon? Also Braccus Rex is very cool, but he had no purpose in this game other than to be the conduit of the spoopy fish king. Also whoever though that they could just go from "Magisters are about torture and genocide" to "Magisters are the good guys, they just have some bad eggs." in the final act should get a paddling.

Man, if I cared at all about the lore I would be upset. But as it stands I can't help but just think Larian is very silly to not have a better core story to hang all the sidestories on.

Trap Strats: DOS1:EE? Cheese - DOS2? Mashed potatoes - Proper nutrition is key to dungeon delving.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Yeah, he was a cat in D:OS and he was a cat in the D2 epilogue but 60-odd years before the D2 epilogue I accidentally and he was no more. But he's still a cat decades later, because cats I think.

All I know of Lucian is that I played her in DD and she was kind of the amiable but somewhat unreliable unwilling hero because all my characters are. Some dudes played a party trick on her and she woke up with a hangover and had to pwn some bad guys and then there was some baby who needed its nappy changing. ew.

J'aime le fromage.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard