V
VoiceGS Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
V
Hey all.

So I just got the Villain Tag from killing the
White Magister and her cronies in the Workshop of the Blackpits.
Did I get this tag because I just attacked her rather than entering battle via dialogue? I kinda guessed that I would have to fight her since she told me not to touch anything and I had to get by a wall.

Any ideas on this?

Voice

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
I got mine because [spoiler] I force attacked the dwarf in wreckers cave who was working on deathfog. [/spoiler]

So it seems to show up if you force attack targets with no dialog reason.

Last edited by Yonnivin; 20/09/17 03:27 PM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Got mine, and kept the HERO tag as well, go figure, from source sucking ghosts smile

Didnt even realize what happened at first but there you go

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Originally Posted by Yonnivin
I got mine because
I force attacked the dwarf in wreckers cave who was working on deathfog.

So it seems to show up if you force attack targets with no dialog reason.

i did this in my previous playthrough without getting a villain tag, it must be something that happens after you accumulate enough bad favour or something

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Yeah, it takes a succession of "bad" deeds to give you the tag, I think

V
VoiceGS Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
V
Hey.

It must be. I try and not attack people without talking first but I didn't really know how to attack them again. Should have blew up the wall.

Voice

E
apprentice
apprentice
E
Originally Posted by VoiceGS
Hey all.

So I just got the Villain Tag from killing the
White Magister and her cronies in the Workshop of the Blackpits.
Did I get this tag because I just attacked her rather than entering battle via dialogue? I kinda guessed that I would have to fight her since she told me not to touch anything and I had to get by a wall.

Any ideas on this?

Voice

I got the villain tag for consuming the soul of a guy after saving the three kids he had locked up in his torture attic. I guess those kids saw it from the bushes and told other people how awful I am? I'm "a killer, a thief, and a traitor" apparently for it.

White Magisters also shouldn't trigger villain, in my opinion, but they do.

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
You get the Villain tag when you use Source Vampirism three times, excluding the god.

You also get the Villain tag when you murder three innocents, but animals are not counted. Script comment about excluding animals from the count says: "Yes, we're cruel like that." laugh

Sneak murders are also counted for some reason.

T
T
Originally Posted by fireundubh
You get the Villain tag when you use Source Vampirism three times, excluding the god.

Can not confirm. I have definitely used source vampirism more than three times, possibly 10 times or so, and haven't got the villain tag (yet?). So it's either a bug or there's more to it. =/

(Wait, do you have to use source vampirism on living targets? I usually sucked on ghosts or corpses.)

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Originally Posted by Terodil
(Wait, do you have to use source vampirism on living targets? I usually sucked on ghosts or corpses.)

I think so. That would make sense.

Stealing a Source point from a living character is essentially murder.

The relevant script is named GLO_SystemicTags, which determines when the HERO and VILLAIN tags are added, as well as some other related tags. The whole script revolves around murder.

There are three base Murder Types shared by default across adventures:

1. Murder
2. SneakMurder
3. SummonMurder (which may not cause the VILLAIN tag to be added, by the way)

Because Source Vampirism is unique to the Origins adventure, Larian had to implement Source Vampirism as a fourth custom Murder Type in this script.

I haven't done any scripting in this engine, but you can read my inline comments in this snippet, if you want to get an idea about how all this works.

T
T
@Fireundubh, that was a very informative post, thank you! I haven't started looking into modding yet, but *Aragorn pose* that day will come!

Unfortunately that wakes the RP critic in me. It is made abundantely clear in-game that sucking on a ghost means damning it to the void, whatever that means; at least it means that they do not get to sit in golden halls and sip wine / beer / water (according to preference). Which is probably about 1milliHitler worse on the evility scale than just stabbing a vendor to take his stuff. Ergo, sucking on ghosts should incur the villain tag as well, if murdering does already.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
You get the Villain tag for consuming innocent spirits. You do not get villain points for releasing spirits that are tormented such as there are in Stonegarden.

Its a fine line to walk, no doubt, but in short, you can SV certain ghosts without becoming a Villain. If you want to avoid that then think before you consume wink

T
T
Eh, funnily enough I'm actually TRYING (and failing so far, apparently) to be evil xD

journeyman
journeyman
Yeah .... Im trying to get the Villain tag but got the Hero one instead. Reloaded the game. Im killing everyone that looks me the wrong way and still gives me the Hero tag. In dialogs , im always an asshole , i aways let murder happen, let the bad guys go...... like what do i have to do ?

The best class is the Jack of all Trades
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
You can have both at the same time wink

They dont cancel each other out or remove one if you get the other.

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Originally Posted by Braxx
Yeah .... Im trying to get the Villain tag but got the Hero one instead. Reloaded the game. Im killing everyone that looks me the wrong way and still gives me the Hero tag. In dialogs , im always an asshole , i aways let murder happen, let the bad guys go...... like what do i have to do ?

Why would you restart? As has been mentioned, you can have both tags, and all these tags do is open up new dialogue options.

Also, you're guaranteed to get the HERO tag if you rescue anyone from danger.

stranger
stranger
There must be more to this, and/or it's bugged, because Villain is one of the rarest achievements on Steam. It's rarer than the achievement for reaching Arx.

Any chance other parts of the code can increment the "source sucked" counter, causing it to leapfrog from 2 to 4, and never compare equal to 3?

Last edited by morsk; 29/09/17 12:18 AM.
F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Originally Posted by morsk
There must be more to this, and/or it's bugged, because Villain is one of the rarest achievements on Steam. It's rarer than the achievement for reaching Arx.

Any chance other parts of the code can increment the "source sucked" counter, causing it to leapfrog from 2 to 4, and never compare equal to 3?

The counter should never be greater than 3. It is only incremented when the player uses the skill on an NPC with the GHOST tag, does not have the VILLAIN tag, and TimeSuckedSource does not equal 3. So, once you get the VILLAIN tag, the counter stops incrementing.

veteran
veteran
Thanks for this post. I really was looking for this.

It also happened to me (villain tag) when puttin´ the cursed magister out of his misery, even if he calls for it.

And yes, you can have both tags. Do you know of any more tags you can get? Hannibal lecter advanced student? Pet sentimental counsellor? Bad Pun master?

Last edited by _Vic_; 29/09/17 11:55 PM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard