Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
If there's already a tutorial or documentation out there that can help me do either, please just point me in the right direction. I've been looking at the toolkit wiki Larian set up, as well as some youtube tutorials, with little success so far.

Anyway, I'm trying to do two things. One should be simple, the other might be... considerably less so.

First, I'm working on building an adventure mod! Using an idea I had for a DOS mod that I never made because I couldn't get the toolkit to work for me. Anyway, the essential premise is that the player character is "snowed in" this mountain inn during a blizzard. So, my first step is to design the exterior environment--only, problem! I can't seem to paint the snow terrain texture as an additional layer. I'm just guessing here, but I think snowy terrain must be a "base" texture, so I need to somehow replace the default base texture (sand and rock for slopes) with snow. But I can't figure out how to do so. Anyone able to help me out here?

Second, I'd like to modify the character creation process a little bit. How would I go about increasing the attribute or civil skill pools? There are some mods already that do this, but they're too extreme for my tastes--I'd like to give like 1 or 2 extra points to each category, for example. Anyone able to help me out on this one?

EDIT:

Problem 2, solved.

Last edited by Arsene Lupin; 24/09/17 12:54 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
I can answer your first question, the second one I have no experience with.

In terms of painting snow, it should work, my guess is you're not using one of the right materials, but any of the TR_Soil_Snow... resources should work. For future reference, you can change a terrain's material by selecting it and changing the Terrain Material ID at the bottom of the sidebar.

enthusiast
enthusiast
So for character creation / adding more points at the start, you'll probably want to modify the existing presets to increase their starting points. You'll need to extract the Shared.pak to get those. They're located in "Mods\Shared\CharacterCreation\ClassPresets\". You'll need Norbyte's EE Pak Extractor for that.

Tutorial here: https://docs.larian.game/Pak_Extractor_Guide

OP Offline
Hm... I've found Shared.PAK in the Data folder of the install directory. After putting the PAK extractor files into that same directory, I'm able to press both "create package" and "extract package" and get a "package created successfully" and "package extracted successfully" messages, respectively.

But it's not working. The process takes 2-3 seconds, and it should take longer than that to unpack a 1GB file, and nothing is ever dumped into the Desktop\New Folder directory I've set as the output.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by Arsene Lupin; 23/09/17 02:47 AM. Reason: clarity
D
stranger
stranger
D
Firstly open ConverterApp, then make sure it is set to game Divinity Original Sin 2 and PAK / LSV Tools. Then under package path select shared.pak, then destination it's fine to set it to data folder as that is where you wanted the edited files (for them to have an effect) anyway. Then press extract package.

journeyman
journeyman
If it quits that fast its not completing. Here's a couple things that may be causing it. I'm going to do a walkthrough on how to do it. Just to make sure no mistakes are made in my explanation. I followed these steps while extracting a file and typed them in as I did. So I know it works.

Load the extractor.

Change the GAME to divinity original sin 2 (sometimes it likes to revert to DOSEE for some reason).

Select PAK / LSV Tools

Under PACKAGE PATH select the folder the PAK is in (you don't need to move it or anything)

Under DESTINATION select the folder you want the PAK to extract to (I suggest a folder created specifically for this so you don't run into mess of files for the extractor AND the PAK)

Double check to make sure the game is still DOS2, same thing with the Version.

Compression should be LZ4 HC.

Select EXTRACT PACKAGE.

And then of course wait for a prompt saying its done.

Last edited by KentDA; 23/09/17 03:12 AM.
OP Offline
I finally got it working. It turns out somehow my shared.pak file got corrupted... after deleting it and reinstalling it, everything is working.

I've gone ahead and modified the values I wanted to modify (properties.lsx, plus each file in the ClassPresets, CompanionPresets and HenchmanPresets folders) and now I need to figure out the next step: how do I finish this thing?

Ideally I want to end up with a mod I can upload to the Steam Workshop or Nexus. Since the "Free Pet Pal" mod is a similar modification of the class presets, and it's in both, this *should* be possible to do. Only... I have no idea where to start.

old hand
old hand
Have you tested that the mod works as an add-on, and that when you start a new game your creation changes are present?

After that, for the workshop:

As long as everything you are editing is contained within your mod folders you can upload pretty easily.

Go to Project > Project settings. Fill out all your info, add a thumbnail image.

Save

Then go to Project > Publish Project
Make sure Steam Workshop is selected. Then off you go.

OP Offline
What's the right folder to put the mod for the Editor to "see" it? None of the mods I'm testing out in the game (placed in
"steamapps\common\Divinity Original Sin 2\Data\Mods" are visible in the editor.

Anyway, I suppose this is all immaterial for now, as I've spent the last hour or so trying and I can't get my mod to work. I've compared it to similar mods, and I'm fairly certain it's because I have no idea how to set up the meta.lsx file.

I've tried copying-and-pasting the meta files from other mods, and altering the relevant information within, but that... does not work. Predictably.

All I'm trying to do is change the starting pools for skill and attribute points (6/6/6/2 instead of the default which is something like 3/2/1/1), and unless the class presets are super finicky or weird, this should be accomplished easily enough by changing:

<attribute id="NumStartingCombatAbilityPoints" value="6" type="3" />
<attribute id="NumStartingCivilAbilityPoints" value="6" type="2" />
<attribute id="NumStartingAttributePoints" value="6" type="1" />
<attribute id="NumStartingTalentPoints" value="2" type="1" />

To:

<attribute id="NumStartingCombatAbilityPoints" value="6" type="4" />
<attribute id="NumStartingCivilAbilityPoints" value="6" type="4" />
<attribute id="NumStartingAttributePoints" value="6" type="4" />
<attribute id="NumStartingTalentPoints" value="2" type="4" />

Which is all I've done.

old hand
old hand
Really the mod should be created in the editor itself. It generates all the necessary info.

My suggestion would be to create an add-on mod fresh in the editor, name it how you want it.

Then copy/paste your files where they belong in the new mod.

If the only files you changed are the presets, they should go in:
Divinity Original Sin 2\Data\mods\YOUR MOD HERE\CharacterCreation

And whatever subfolders follow.

OP Offline
Hm... no dice. With the mod activated, the game crashes while loading character creation. Here's exactly what I did, step-by-step:

1. Created a new add-on in the Editor named "TEST;" then closed it.
2. Extraced shared.pak to remove the ClassPresets folder w/ 14 .lsx files.
3. Modified each of the 14 .lsx class preset files exactly as I outlined in my previous post.
4. Moved those .lsx class presets to this directory: Data\Projects\TEST\CharacterCreation\ClassPresets
5. Opened the editor again, opened the TEST add-on, published locally.
6. Copied the TEST.pak mod from the local mods folder to the mods folder.
7. Opened up DOS2 and selected the TEST mod, and *only* the TEST mod.
8. Started a new game... only to CTD at the end of the loading screen, while "loading character creation."

I did that about 3 times. For now... I'm going to sleep. Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow.

apprentice
apprentice
Hi,

your steps seem to be correct. I just tried it myself (but with the gog version) and it works for me. Only difference being that I didn't need to copy around the .pak file:

1.) make a new project with the editor - https://i.imgur.com/kw4z4rJ.jpg
2.) set the project settings under "projects > project settings" - https://i.imgur.com/ihXeqd6.jpg
3.) now you have the following folder structure - https://i.imgur.com/3wWNls2.jpg
4.) copy over the unpacked CharacterCreation folder - https://i.imgur.com/MgEhbq7.jpg
5.) for example edit Battlemage.lsx - https://i.imgur.com/WFAYk2p.jpg
6.) from - https://i.imgur.com/AQg1Vfx.png
7.) to - https://i.imgur.com/eLgi05F.png
8.) now go into the editor again and publish local "project > publish local" - https://i.imgur.com/NJwW38L.png
9.) go into the game and activate your mod and confirm it.
10.) you now have 6 attribute points etc. if you choose for example a dwarf and battlemage. But you only see these points if you go to "edit" in the char creation window.

p.s. should you ever increase the "NumStartingTalentPoints" then you need to directly spent these talent points otherwise the engine will not load the file.

OP Offline
Okay... I've got it fixed! Yay! I made three mods and put 'em up at the warehouse--one that slightly increases available points ("A Lucky Break"); one that moderately increases available points ("An Auspicious Beginning"); and one that just adds 5 points to the Civil Skill points pool and an extra talent point for Pet Pal ("Civility and Grace").

So... now I get to move on to my Real Task: building a story module. I have a feeling this could take a while....

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Arsene Lupin

So... now I get to move on to my Real Task: building a story module. I have a feeling this could take a while....

You aint wrong. My first one for D:OS 1 took over a year. My second one took about 4 months.

Of course it varies widely on how much depth you're going for opa

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard