Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#622134 27/09/17 12:10 AM
addict
OP Offline
addict
As far as I know, there is no way to increase starting AP and recovery AP in this game unless you do Lone Wolf or Glass cannon. (Or like start the game with haste), how does everyone feel with this?

For me, I think it makes the...starting combat really bland. Like with not having the "speed" attribute, you always have the same amount of AP, so me playing as a Geo/Pyro wizard, I know what im gonna use like almost all the time in battle. Only 4 AP, so to get the most of it can only use 2 AP stuff so i can get off 2 attacks. If you use a 3 AP skill, then only 1 AP left and only supporting abilities use 1 AP for the most part. So you can't use grenades or scrolls, (pretty sure i have rarely used grenades considering they cost 2 but you rather use an ability in place or auto attack). Same for Rez scrolls, they take 3 AP, like why? You only get 4 AP to begin with and Rez takes 3 AP, so you get 1 AP to either decide to heal the person, or use armor. Either way, they probably won't survive if they get focused when the enemy goes next.

I do think that there should be more options to increase AP recov. What are other peoples thoughts on this?

apprentice
apprentice
Personally I dislike the same AP start and regen pools for everyone (except bosses they got more because lol). The biggest reason is that it makes every single encounter throughout the entire game very similar in the nature of the start. This is only exacerbated by the round robin initiative, making it so your move plans can only be one person at a time before an enemy butts in and ruins everything. When my archer starts, he hastes himself and shoots. My mage? Hits with earth, then ignites oil. Every. Time.

In Divinity OS 1 your ap start totals changed as you went further because your stats determined it. This lead to you discovering all the new things you could do with your extra AP. This made you feel like you progressed more and become more powerful and versatile, giving you a sense of progress without the mindless number bloat the game currently uses to do so. While some stats that gave you it were a little too powerful, I don't think that's a reason to abandon the system entirely. The flexible system in DOS 1 was superior, in my opinion.

Last edited by HUcast; 27/09/17 02:32 AM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
Pretty much. For my mage, I know every single fight will start with impalement and fireball. There is no strategy. I get that they wanted to condense the AP so it allows for more or just make it easier, but really it's just made it more dull.

T
T
well adrenaline can really spice things up tho smile Flinging out 3 offensive spells, or teleport + 2 spells...

Also I think that using impale + fireball is bit shortsighted tho, when you can make some fire/poison surface (ideally with red prince), step on it and start casting your 2APs for 1 AP... paired with adrenaline you can unload like 4 spells easily, optimally oiling and slowing everything in the vicinity, and igniting that next turn/last spell/next character. Boom

addict
OP Offline
addict
For me, I keep the poison dart for myself since I'm using Undead and that's pretty much my backup heal. Impale oils and it also cripples if no physical, better then Fossil strike. I'm not lizard so can't use my 1 AP skill. This problem will still be there, if I played lizard, and unless everyone specs for Scoundrel for just adrenaline, well that just tells you even more that there is a bigger problem.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Bump, any other thoughts by others on this

veteran
veteran
I already said in many topics, that this kind of kills the feeling for progress you got in the first game. After you aquired all desired skills combat will always be quite a routine of the same few skills who give the most outcome for their AP.

apprentice
apprentice
Between this and the armor, if feels like they really tried to slow combat down. I have mixed feelings about it.

I installed the 'Max 8 AP' mod. I'm not sure how much more I want to cheat on this particular thing but I think you could do it with mods smile

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1139733084&searchtext=

addict
OP Offline
addict
I was just looking at mods and come across it, but that increased Max AP, but not the Ap recov or starting AP, which is still 4. So you're still stuck with doing the same thing really. I do wish Speed was a stat still, something you could invest in. D:

addict
addict
The gears in this game are quite lacking and it could have been used to add more depth and choices.

Stuffs like "Less stat, more AP" or "Horrible stat, super school" type of gears are really needed. Mages for one would probably thing about using Staff more if there's a +AP Staff so they have to make a choice between +AP or shield.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Originally Posted by TsunAmik
well adrenaline can really spice things up tho smile Flinging out 3 offensive spells, or teleport + 2 spells...

Also I think that using impale + fireball is bit shortsighted tho, when you can make some fire/poison surface (ideally with red prince), step on it and start casting your 2APs for 1 AP... paired with adrenaline you can unload like 4 spells easily, optimally oiling and slowing everything in the vicinity, and igniting that next turn/last spell/next character. Boom

With adrenaline if you dont clear your first round, your subsequent rounds are absolutely miserable.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
You can smoke certain herbs that give you +1 start ap and -1 ap costs.

Cyka #623313 29/09/17 12:26 AM
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Cyka
You can smoke certain herbs that give you +1 start ap and -1 ap costs.

You can? Do you use them before combat or waste ap to do it in combat?

Originally Posted by Ellezard
The gears in this game are quite lacking and it could have been used to add more depth and choices.

Stuffs like "Less stat, more AP" or "Horrible stat, super school" type of gears are really needed. Mages for one would probably thing about using Staff more if there's a +AP Staff so they have to make a choice between +AP or shield.

The gear was pretty lacking, especially considering how quickly you have to switch them. Having +AP gear would be pretty good, but speaking off which, I don't think I came across a single Memory stat gear. Only 2, one was withermoore that gave +1 which is early game, and then another unique later down the line, which was a one handed sword I believe. Aside from 2 uniques, not a single other piece of gear that gave memory.

addict
addict
There used to be a ton of memory gear in EA. Random purple piece used to give +1 or +2 mem.

I think they remove those because the stat end up being useless on so many build and you already have free respec mirror anyway. If you get +2 int, you can just - 2 int on your char and +2 mem. It's way better than having excess slots with nothing to use. Even +2 con is better than +2 mem on most build.

One more type of gear we actually need are more Act-3 ish special gear you get in the basement of you-know-who. They are gear with special effect like perma flight and so on but come with very bad stat. Those type of gears would be great to have around. You can easily slap special talent on those type of gear like reverse glass cannon, have 1 or 2 less AP per turn but immune to all magical or all physical CC.

Last edited by Ellezard; 29/09/17 01:54 AM.
G
stranger
stranger
G
I was pretty disappointed when i found out there isn't any way to increase total ap/ap recovery like you could in the first game(didn't play EA).
Since glass cannon is awful and lonewolf is alright but only using basically 2 attacks per turn is really lame, and personally doesn't feel like you get to impact much in terms of the fight.

Most enemies feel like mini bosses I miss the days when you could actually kill something in one turn.

Last edited by Ghost Ren; 29/09/17 01:05 PM.
O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Tactical retreat and adrenaline on all characters ftw.

TR is a combined escape/teleport that includes haste for 1AP. Using adrenaline is +2AP|-2AP but if you use adrenaline and spend one of those ap for tac (or alternatively just regular haste) it becomes 1x free positioning +1AP|-1AP|+1AP total for the next 3 rounds. Since escape/mobility skills are mandatory anyway I always felt like tactical retreat was the best thing ever for the "free" haste. For summoners you get adrenaline "for free" because you pop incarnate + adrenaline + buffs on the incarnate, then you only have 2AP on the next turn - but the 2nd turn for a summoner is a pretty "dead turn" anyway, so you get to cast 2x1AP support spells.

Elven racial ftw as well.

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Yeah I guess it's a choice between the elven racial+tactical retreat and glass cannon. I have found glass cannon to be ok for ranged characters, provided that you have good positioning (tactical retreat helps there as well).

addict
OP Offline
addict
Yeah, you have these "haste" skills, but the problem is that they are NECESSARY. No skill should be necessary to take on EVERY character. The main problem still stands is that there is no way to increase AP, and it looks like Larian is so against the players having AP. Then you see that enemies get 6-8 AP recovery and shit, like slow your roll game.

addict
addict
Remember when Haste used to cost 0 and one of the best trick is to have pyro on everyone and just have the slowest char precast Haste on the fastest char and start buffing everyone in rotation mid-combat so they all start their turn with haste?

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Personally I like the idea of ap being standard and not being changed by an allocation of stats like in the first one, but ellezards suggestion of messing with ap more in gear or possibly spells other than just haste could give it some more flare.

I agree the gear felt rather lackluster as everything was only stats with the occasional gear piece with a skill but given how randomized the gear was if you found a gear piece with a skill you actually wanted then you were rather lucky. gear could have been made much more interesting if you could level up your gear, allowing you to pick interesting gear choices and keep with them, which would open them up to actually add interesting variations without it being defeated by that fact that you change gear pieces every other level. If you want to keep the feeling of progression in there, just make upgrading the stats on gear take crafting items that you get in the new areas you explore as you progress. Maybe you only find bronze to upgrade your weapons with on fort joy, then you find better metals later, something like that.

It might make more sense to give some more flare to the skill tree before something like the gear system though. I would very much like to see tiers for rank 5 and 10 milestones for every school that do something interesting for example.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard