Next Thread
Print Thread
S
simz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Just a quick question, I want to have a pretty good party here. I am a beginner to this game, but not at all to RPG's.

My team is such
Ifan ben-Mezd- (Main) Rogue- Dual Weild
The Red Prince- Fighter
Lohse- Wizard
Beast- Cleric

Please let me know, thank you!

S
S
Armor is going to be a pain for you. Your pretty much split down the middle on magic/physical. Usually you want to focus on one or the other, though there are ways to play that take advantage of enemy weaknesses.

Cleric is trash as a starting class. The three skills it comes with are all pretty much useless early game. Healing skills are too low at the start relative to the damage you will be taking.

Some more advanced tips, DON'T make your Rogue a human. 5% critical hit chance is completely wasted when you are backstabbing (guaranteed crits). Humans (and undead humans) are best as bow or twohanded classes, and OK as single handed or direct-damage magic classes later on (requires the spell crit feat).

T
T
Yeah, cleric is weird class, I dont really recommend that.

Ifan is best possible ranger/wayfarer in game tho, while sebille makes excellent dual wield rogue.

Dont really mind split damage types, stacking one type is overrated, I am playing mixed team and its super easy and super fun smile

S
simz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Dang, I really liked where things were going with this, my single target damage with the rogue was fun to play as I was dropping enemies left and right. If not for cleric, what should I do about heals? I hate having to rely on food and potions for it. What would you suggest? Also, is Wiz a good choice for her? Or should I do Red Prince as Wiz?

When you say armor is going to be a pain for me, how do I optimize my current setup to fix that? Do I need to reroll, or wait to respec in act 2?

Keep in mind I do like the RPG typical Melee DPS, Tank, Mage DPS, and Cleric Heals. Is that not a possibility in this game?

Last edited by simz; 27/09/17 05:53 AM.
S
S
You use a bedroll for out of combat healing and you just don't heal in combat. The enemies do more in a single hit than you heal for so it's a losing battle to try. Potions and food in combat can work, if you have strong enough ones.

addict
addict
Use enchanter instead of Cleric. You get spec'd into Aero and Hydro, and you can even put 2 points into Geo for Physical Armour restro spells.

As for people who are saying stick to 1 type (like physical or magical), don't listen. Almost all enemies (including most bosses) will either have less Magical armour or less Physical. There are multiple enemies, mages can easily focus down the people with less magic armour and vice versa.

I'm playing with a friend, we're into late game playing on classic and have had zero trouble. I'm playing Wizard with Geo/Pyro. I got Sebille as Shadowblade, Friend is playing Fighter (warfare, poly) and got a enchanter with Geo as well. It's all about positioning and learning the tactics and what you can also do.

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
I would say go with your original party combo, cleric included, if you like the idea and style of that party. It's a roleplaying game in the first place. You can make it work and you will have fun with it, no matter whether it's the perfect ideal super trooper party combo or not. After all I assume that you want some challenge as well and not just rush through everything.

If you enjoy that party combo, play it. It is definitely possible!

Also, there are a lot of skills for each class so you can mix and match each character's skills with what fits best for the party.

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
Depending on the difficulty - if its exp or classic id say its okey. Choices are not binding so you can make mistakes.

S
simz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I'm glad to hear that because I spent an entire day retooling and researching how to play the game vs. actually playing it. I was about to just quit. I'm playing on classic. I like cleric for melee damage and heals. I could go back and do enchanter rogue fighter and wizard. Maybe I could do a conjuror instead of wiz? I don't know, my main is a human rogue (ifan ben mezd) and I hear that sucks too... I honestly feel like quitting this is all giving me a headache for real.

Last edited by simz; 27/09/17 02:21 PM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
I just made this post on another forum (somethingawful.com) but i'll repost it here as general advice:

A few tips we seem to be settling on as helpful:

1) Make sure you have one person who has very high Lucky Charm skill, and have them do all your looting. This will make a dramatic difference in your overall gear quality even very early on. By midgame it almost becomes a loot flood.

2) Do you have a thief? One guy in your party tiefing skillbooks can make a big difference.

2) How does your team fit together with each other?

What seems to be working for most people is picking either physical or magic damage types, then having everyone in the party do the same kind of damage, so that you can focus fire down enemies faster. An example model party might be something like:

• Warfare / Necromancy, splash Geomancy
  • Summoning / Leadership , splash Hydromancy
  • Huntsman / Ranged, splash Pyro
  • Scoundrel / Polymorph, splash Aero

Everyone in this group can do heavy physical damage -- summoner via Wood or Blood pets, everyone else via different types of weapons and/or Necromancy.

With one person having Persuasion (probably your pet pal person, likely your summoner), one person having lucky charm, one person with thieving (probably the scoundrel since Shadowblade base class gets a point in thieving at start).

You can only steal from each vendor once, so at like level 2 or 3 go through and steal some basic elemental skillbooks (restoration, etc.), then at level 4 or 5 go through and steal from the remaining vendors to fill out your primary skills (ie. warfare, necro, etc.)

Each person specializes in their damage stat (strength or finesse for this party) and Memory (to use those skills you stole), except the summoner who takes Wits up to about 20 instead of a damage stat, so you can find secrets.

Have as many summons as you can especialy early on -- you'll want your Necromancer to start with Bloated Corpse, etc.

That party setup would mean picking Inquisitor, Conjuror, Ranger, and Shadowblade for starting classes, then dropping your level 2 levelup points in aero, hydro, and geo respectively.

Last edited by Dr. Hieronymous; 27/09/17 02:30 PM.
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
most healing spells will also cure conditions like bleeding/burning so they have multiple uses beyond just healing damage. restoration is a great spell, i think it's too easily disparaged because of high damage output from enemies on higher difficulties

a lot of enemies this game also tend to decay themselves, and healing effects will damage decayed targets

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
If you are playing on classic then SERIOUSLY there is no bad team composition. Believe me, I know how you feel, but don't let this thing ruin your fun! There is nobody that you need to prove anything to, and you will be able to complete the game with any party composition. Just enjoy the show with your favorite Dream Team.

Edit: And yes, miaasma makes a good point there. Healing can be very effective.

Last edited by Bokajon; 27/09/17 05:21 PM.
S
simz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Thank you, I think that my OCD gets the best of me. I have restarted the game for hours yesterday. Playing different origin characters, etc... When I finish Act 1 I will probably repec everyone... but that Inquisitor, Conjuror, Ranger, and Shadowblade setup looks really sexy by Dr. Hieronymous. I may do that too.

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
My brother and I went through the same thing (restarted several times), but then we settled on picking our preferred characters, each with Lone Wolf. Throughout Fort Joy, we were able to play around with our builds a bit and still power through the whole area. I say you should go ahead and build the team you want, then respec as needed once you get to that point. Like Bokajon said, you can't really go wrong in Classic. You should do fine no matter what you pick.

L
stranger
stranger
L
simz, you described my saturday perfectly. I wish I had known about the full, free respec at the end of act 1, it would have saved me a day of rerolls. The lone wolf talent really is what enabled me to play how I want and not feel totally overpowered by enemies wasting my time in long drawn out fights but I only found out how good it was when I got to the character builder on the boat. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited by lamp; 27/09/17 08:14 PM.
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Simz I challenge you to go with the flow and not respec at all during your playthrough, haha. I believe that you will learn a lot out of that experience for future playthroughs and future games.

Let the story of your characters unfold itself. Let your characters' strengths AND weaknesses shine and shape your adventure. It'll be a more memorable experience because your characters won't be maxed out to their best potential. They won't be soulless cookie cutter puppets that are good at just the right thing at just the right time. Instead they will have their flaws, things they might regret, things that will get them in trouble. They might even envy other characters in their group. Ifan might fight better than Lohse, because Lohse invested some points in a weird skill tree that she shouldn't have. In the end, it's those flaws that make them cool!!

You can't respec in real life and you can't respec in pen & paper RPGs. Respecing doesn't make sense after all, because you are the sum of your past and there is nothing that can change that. Maybe that's what's so cool about real life and P&P RPGs.

Just sayin wink Do whatever you want of course.

Last edited by Bokajon; 27/09/17 08:45 PM.
L
stranger
stranger
L
That is a great perspective on it Bokajon and I really like it! That being said, once I was able to respec it really let me play around with what I ultimately would reroll a new game to because when I tried to go with the flow and play before I knew what worked and didnt I really did not enjoy the game because... well, it was not fun. My first day playing this game was a nightmare to be honest, coming from the EE it really did not make sense to me and it seems like he is similar.

4 Man parties were really tedious too, having 1 or 2 characters really makes it less stressful and time consuming so you can just kinda jump into the combat which is where I have the most fun.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard