Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Please, Larian, hire someone who understands User Interfaces better than whoever the heck is doing it now. Because the current UI leaves a LOT to be desired.

I've been picking up pouches and backpacks to use as containers., and some problems have come to note.

• You can only have ONE container open at a time. This was probably done to prevent some kind of thieving trick, but it has an irritating side effect. I can't transfer stuff between containers.
  • I finally found the storage chest on the Lady Vengeance and I want to put all the crap I picked up because I am dumb and obsessive-compulsive into the inventory. But I can't have two containers open at one time, so I need to move everything into my inventory first.
  • But these pouches and backpacks I've been picking up have no "take all" button. So I need to individually move each and every single item, first from my inventory and then from my inventory into the storage chest.
  • I need to move them all one at a time, because for some reason, in the year 2017, this game has NO MULTI-SELECT CAPABILITY. In a sensible game, I should be able to hold a button and click on a lot of items to select them all at once, and then perform an action, like "mark as wares", or "send to [Party Member]", or drag and drop into them into a container or barter screen.
  • Oh, and the Storage chest itself is just an ordinary chest. As in, it's a 5*4 grid with a scrollbar. No tabs for categories, no way to sort except dragging and dropping. The storage chest should be more like an external inventory screen than an ordinary chest, complete with tabs and a way to sort.

Please, have mercy on our poor hands. There's no reason why we need to do thousands of extra clicks for basic inventory management. This is a thing which should be most obvious to those who have had to spend thousands of hours doing it already: You, the developers.

There will be more gripes about the UI later, but first I need to go rest my hands.

Last edited by Stabbey; 28/09/17 07:29 PM. Reason: storage chest
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
I agree that things could definitely be improved. Multi-select and multiple containers would definitely be really quite helpful: in some ways the original D:OS seemed a bit better in that latter regard, though that may be my memory wearing rose-tinted glasses or something.

I'm also vaguely reminded of my first job nearly 30 years ago where computers made things so much more efficient that they heralded the paperless office. Ooh yeah.

J'aime le fromage.
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Oh boy guess what else I've found! For some reason, stacks of food and mushrooms, when you click and say "Send to Lady Vengeance", it only sends ONE (1) of them at a time. NO! It's a stack! I told you to send the STACK. So you have to either click for each item in the stack or be on the ship and drag and drop.

WHY...

addict
addict
That's not even the worse crime IMO.

Have you tried deleting a bunch of saves? I tried deleting em from the Documents folder, but it didn't work and they magically appeared again ingame (probably due to cloud saves), and I save a lot, quicksaves and hard saves, so imagine how fun it is to select an older save, hit the x mark on the other side, say yes to delete AND THEN SCROLL ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE BOTTOM BC THE SCREEN KEEPS SCROLLING BACK UP.

Can't select multiple saves or anything. Seriously, the UI design is horrible, who wrote this crap.

Multiselect, please. +1. Thanks.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Being able to auto sort inside bags/containers would be really nice to

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
a lot of things regarding inventory and action bar UI could use a lot of improvement

i'm trusting that at least some of the problems will be fixed

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by miaasma
a lot of things regarding inventory and action bar UI could use a lot of improvement

Why? They haven't been fixed in a year of EA.

Heck, even the skillbar scroll arrows being BACKWARDS hasn't been fixed, and I'm sure that issue dates back to D:OS 1. (If you hit up on the skillbar arrow, it goes to the next LOWER skillbar, and the opposite for clicking down).

journeyman
journeyman
This has been a growing gripe of mine as well, progressing through my second playthrough of the game.
Because of how terrible the UI is, I've stopped bothering to do things like pick up books, crafting materials, and containers entirely.

Don't forget how painful identifying large numbers of items is, the fact that you have to hover over items to see which are unID'd, containers being impossible to sort, and there being no item locking feature.

The Flaws of Divinity: Original Sin II: A list of observations of the game's shortcomings for the community.
Found HERE.
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by miaasma

Why? They haven't been fixed in a year of EA.

Heck, even the skillbar scroll arrows being BACKWARDS hasn't been fixed, and I'm sure that issue dates back to D:OS 1. (If you hit up on the skillbar arrow, it goes to the next LOWER skillbar, and the opposite for clicking down).

i didn't play or even know about this game during its EA period

regardless, they put out a really good game with a lot of functionality that i appreciate, so they've at least earned a semblance of trust that they'll eventually fix the things that i (and many others, it seems) don't appreciate

i'm also not a game developer but if i was, considering how many bugs are still in the game, i'd be focusing on fixing those before fixing things that simply encumber the experience rather than making the game unplayable. especially if they actually are reading this forum, as they've stated they are

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard