Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#624768 01/10/17 11:21 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I made most of these observations & suggestions while the game was in alpha (and beta), but apparently Larian was too busy spending time & money heading to conventions and showing off their game rather than actually fixing anything.

1) Taking a screenshot with the Print Screen key and saving it via the Windows 10 OneDrive takes a screenshot of the desktop instead of in-game.

2) Enemies that eat or drink items during combat occasionally still display the placeholder names for the item (aka CON_BUFF_ICON display issue). This was an old issue from the first DOS, but was seemingly fixed in the EE, and is now back in DOS 2.

3) If you clear a keybind because you have no use for it or because you prefer to use a different key, your choices do not save when you quit the game. Every single time I've launched the game I've had to go back into controls to redo some of my bindings because they refuse to save.

4) The inventory, crafting & overall UI, which was my biggest (perhaps even only) complaint about DOS and DOS:EE are more-or-less the same. They're bad. Even worse, actually, since now you need to remap everything to your 2nd+ bar, or else every consumable item you pick up keeps filling up your primary skill bar. There really should be a way to disable items from automatically being added to your bars. This also applies when you quit and restart the game with many items and consumables. I've had to randomly redo my bars several times now because my bedroll or special arrows decided to move themselves from where I hand placed them.

5) Longwithstanding balance issues, to the point of being broken. The actual difficulty of the game is secondary (even approaching the point of being irrelevent) to how you build your characters and your party. This is largely due to the new armor system and enemy AI.

With the diminished usefulness of CC due to the (to be quite frank, garbage) armor system, Summoning becomes absurdly overpowered. The goal should be to build a well-rounded party, not make every member of your party clones of each other, each invested heavily into Summoning, with a few points in Polymorph and whatever else to polish some of the edges.

To further illustrate the point, consider this experience:

My wife decided to play the Red Prince and ran with his default Knight build and a shield (a tank, in other words), while I went with Ifan, invested primarily in Summoning. Throughout the first act in and around Fort Joy, she relayed to me how weak she felt and how she could barely do anything. Her damage was negligible and her ability to control enemies was practically nonexistent, being many enemies were casters that attacked from a distance, were scattered around and mostly ignored her anyway.

My most basic summon effectively fulfilled the role she wanted to do, in part because of how poor the Knight skills are in general, and also quicker because I could hand place them wherever I wanted to from halfway across the battlefield, ignoring height differences and whatever else.

Despite this, we pushed on because we had already invested the time and found out she could respec after the initial area.

Then, we made it to the witch in the cave on the Southern end of the island. I opened with summoning my wolf, another add, then Tactical Retreat, and then proceeded to become charmed. Between my summons, the several enemies the witch summons, and the Red Prince becoming diseased, my wife died before even seeing her first turn.

Needless to say, the fight was pretty much over before it even started. She's already at the point where she doesn't want to continue playing the game due to frustration, so we're probably going to start over entirely, so she can do a Red Prince summoner instead.

Vesperas #624772 01/10/17 11:31 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Answers to a couple of things...

1. I use Fraps, as I've found too many other screen-captures tend to be broken or inconvenient in assorted and imaginative ways. Fraps at least has a consistent interface and I use a script to convert the files into a less offensive format and put them in the relevant directories.

3. Don't clear keybindings but rather bind them to some obscure key sequence you'd never actually use: something with a couple of modifier keys should do. Trouble is, if the game finds out that a key has been cleared when it starts, it "fixes" it by restoring it to the default setting.

J'aime le fromage.
Vesperas #624774 01/10/17 11:36 PM
veteran
veteran
Warrior just needs good equipment, than he should deal a lot of damage. Skills like Shield throw deal high damage if you have good equipment.

But regarding control it is true, you can't control much, bevore all as long you did not already remove enough armor for hard cc.

All physical classes depend heavily on good gear, while magical classes suck at general in early levels, because their damage depends on level.

Kalrakh #624895 02/10/17 05:26 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
Warrior just needs good equipment, than he should deal a lot of damage. Skills like Shield throw deal high damage if you have good equipment.

But regarding control it is true, you can't control much, bevore all as long you did not already remove enough armor for hard cc.

All physical classes depend heavily on good gear, while magical classes suck at general in early levels, because their damage depends on level.

I assumed as much. Man-at-Arms focused builds in DOS and DOS:EE were basically the same; mediocre in the beginning and nigh unstoppable later when you found better gear. Those games had some balance issues as well of course, but the key difference is DOS and DOS:EE rewarded you for having a well-rounded party, and punished you if you didn't. DOS 2 is very different in this regard.

If you built Roderick and Scarlett the same in DOS:EE, you'd have a very, very hard time making it past the very first battle in the game, whereas in DOS 2, how you build your party matters significantly less than how you build your characters. Four Wayfarer Summoner clones are going to lay waste to a well-rounded Roderick, Scarlett, Bairdotr, Jahan party is basically what I'm getting at.

Anyway...

A few more problems I have:

6) Reading any book from your inventory and moving your cursor over another nearby item before the book fully displays will cause the item tooltip to display over the text of the book indefinitely until you close the book.

7) Another issue that bugged me to no end in DOS and DOS:EE that hasn't been touched in DOS 2--vendor inventories display sold items indefinitely (including garbage like plates and flower pots), which causes their inventory to become ridiculously bloated. Beyond being a complete eyesore, it also makes it difficult to immediately determine if they even have new items for sale without looking at every item's tooltip.

8) There seems to be an issue (maybe it's a bug?) with your party members continuing to follow you after you wrap up a conversation with an NPC. I've been able to recreate it in the hidden Seeker camp by going up a ladder, having my party follow me up, then going down the ladder and speaking with someone. Once I finish dialogue, my party will remain on the raised platform at the top of the ladder forever regardless of where I run to with my party leader. They won't even follow me if I use a Waypoint. The only apparent way to fix it is to manually move one of the affected party members down the ladder, whereupon they all freak out and attempt to assemble back together.

9) This could be related to the above point since the general behavior is similar, but occasionally only one or two party members correctly enter combat, despite all of them being grouped together. The other party members only enter combat if I manually select them and move them closer to the attacking enemies, but this changes the overall turn order and effectively allows the enemy team to attack twice in full, whereas I only get two turns from the characters that initially (and properly) entered combat.

Originally I thought it was some weird LoS issue, since the first two times it happened involved a door and a height difference between my party and the attacking enemies, but I've since had it happen in a flat area as well. My only thought is maybe it's related to the party formation feature, which brings me to my last issue.

10) The party formation feature doesn't work. When I enter combat, my party freezes as-is. They do not assume their positions like they did in DOS and DOS:EE. I seem to recall something about this change due to the overall movement system being overhauled way back from alpha, but then wonder why a feature that doesn't work was left in the game, so I'm moving ahead with the conclusion it must be a bug.

Vesperas #625962 04/10/17 06:39 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
More bugs & issues:

11) Following the battle on Lady Vengeance and entering the lower hold near the mirror, the spirit of the Red Prince does not have any audio to accompany his dialogue.

12) Following the battle on Lady Vengeance and entering the lower hold near the mirror, Gareth seems to be locked in combat with an invisible enemy. He cannot be interacted with and will continue to make combat taunts.

13) In two different battles involving two Gheist enemies at once, one of my characters was killed immediately with back-to-back Backstabs and a combination of a Corrupted Strike or melee attack. My characters are all reasonably well equipped. That is, my characters basically have the best available gear I was able to locate for them, each of them having around 200 physical and magic armor and 300+ HP.

14) The area of effect of the Rain spell is significantly smaller than what the targeting circle indicates.

15) There does not appear to be any means of removing the Decay debuff, short of the using a Source skill (which isn't always practical), so the most efficient method of "saving" a character, especially one that is affected by another detrimental status that can only be cleared with a healing spell like disease, is to instead kill the character and resurrect them (which also coincidentally resets their skill cooldowns). This seems like bad design and should probably be looked at.

16) Maddening Song does not seem to work properly. Affected enemies do not seem to do anything at all, instead just skipping their turn until it wears off.

17) Blinding Squall damages friendly NPC's but not party members. I'm not sure if this is intended.

18) Player controlled characters that flee from combat while afflicted with a detrimental effect and then clear it will occasionally continue to display a purple health bar like they're still suffering from the detrimental effect. This is an old bug from the first game that doesn't appear to have ever been fixed.

19) In the Hall of Echoes where the gods of every race are tethered to the tree, the orc god does not have a portrait and instead displays as a big question mark when spoken to.

20) I also submitted two crash reports from the same area on the Lady Vengeance.

I'm probably just going to put this game on the shelf for the time being until it's more polished. It definitely needs a lot of work in my opinion.

Last edited by Vesperas; 04/10/17 06:53 AM.
Vesperas #625966 04/10/17 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by Vesperas

This is an old bug from the first game that doesn't appear to have ever been fixed.

Lots of old bugs are here. Maybe its the fastest way to create a sequel smile

Originally Posted by Vesperas

I'm probably just going to put this game on the shelf for the time being until it's more polished. It definitely needs a lot of work in my opinion.

Right decision

Last edited by Roamer; 04/10/17 06:52 AM.

Game Quality Control

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard