Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Hi,

I tried out the button which is used to update the editor just to see what happens. If there is no update out yet I would expect to get a message telling me that, but instead it seems the updater can't even start.

If I press the button I get a message box like (from memory):

Code
Error starting updater
The system can't find the specified file

Other things I noticed:
- .gameScript's in combination with an event trigger only seem to work after restarting the editor ("Reload level and story" doesn't help, only a complete restart of the editor). Is that intended?
- also, .gameScript's seem to require that a custom event name is set. Why can't we use the GUID like we can with the story editor? Since the GUID is a global unique identifier this seems like the perfect fit.
- sometimes after creating a new project, and then directly creating a new level (empty) without any interaction of the user the editor set's the level to read only: https://i.imgur.com/nguz8Jm.jpg
- if such a project containing a read-only level is deleted from the divinity engine browser the user gets a message that a few files couldn't be delete because they are read-only. But if I look at the file in the windows browser the read-only flag is not set, and everything can be deleted without problems.

Game Version: GoG (editor and game installed in C:\GoG Games)

addict
addict
Hey Jimpanzee,

The updater is an internal button that wasn't removed from the public version (by accident laugh ). It will be gone soon smile

The required restart is currently intended, though we have been and are looking for a way to make this more user-friendly (making it work on a reload f.e.)

I'll bring the GUID thing up with our scripters. They have more knowledge on the subject as to how/why this works as it does smile

The last 2 I'll flag as bugs we'll fix for a future patch, this behaviour is definitely not intended.

Sincerely,
Kevin

CTRL+K the elf
addict
addict
Response from our scripters on the GUID situation:

Individual trigger events were never needed in script. It was only needed for environment triggers, in which case you'd want a single event name (e.g. warm or wet) because the trigger itself doesn't matter. If you'd use the GUID you'd have to keep track of all individual triggers, and that is where the strength of story scripting comes into play. In story you can put the triggers into a database. In story you can also limit the amount of events you get by registering the right triggers for the right characters.

CTRL+K the elf
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Larian_KVN
Hey Jimpanzee,

[...]

The last 2 I'll flag as bugs we'll fix for a future patch, this behaviour is definitely not intended.

Sincerely,
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

thanks for the fast response. I have investigated the read-only bug a little further and at first I thought it only happens if I confirm the level creation with return instead of using the button, which would be weird. But that seems not to be the case.

It seems to be the level name. If I name the level for example "Level_02" (without the quotation marks) it is always read-only. The same is true for "Level_01", "Level_03" and probably 04 etc. (only tried up until Level_03).

Steps to reproduce:

- create a new project (adventure type) which loads data from the story and targets story. Click create button.
- create a new level (empty), name it Level_02 and press return (or use the button) to confirm.
- after the level is loaded you should get the read-only message I linked in the first post.

EDIT: regarding the directories not showing the read-only flag in the windows browser: that's because I looked in the wrong folder. Ooops. ouch If I look at the files in the correct directory there is indeed a read-only (write protected) flag set.

So only the first problem (levels are created as read-only if they are named Level_02 etc.) is realy a problem. smile

Hope that helps in tracking the problem down.

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard