Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Hey,

I'm by no way a modeler myself, but I'm curious. Will it ever be possible to create our own monsters. If so it would be great if someone would be able to make a written tutorial with every step needed to go from a simpel model to a working moving monster.

For example I would love to learn how to create a kobold. There are plenty of kobold models out there. This would be the perfect tutorial. Start with a kobold model and end up with a living kobold holding a dagger, hitting a player.

Is there any interest from someone pursuing this ? Is larian interested in writing one up ? This is probably the hardest thing to do in the modding world ... but I would love to see it happen.

Sincerely

Celludriel

veteran
veteran
Well, no idea if it's possible but working out from what I know...

There is a tutorial to import assets from other games. So I can only assume you can import you 3D models if they're of a supported format (Granny2 for models, DDS for... Textures?)

See this tutorial:
http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=619563#Post619563

The difficult part would be animations. Importing objects is easy enough. But you'd also need to rig a skeleton and animations for it, and import that into the editor and configure it. No idea how, but that's my impression of the current state to your question.

This is all guessing from an equally clueless goofball.

C
OP Offline
C
Yeah I think, the skeletons and animations are the hardest part.

However I would also think that we could reuse a lot of existing once, a humanoid animation could be re-used easly for a kobold for example. I think once you get in centipede territory, or maybe want to animate a living tree with moving branches ... it's going to get interesting.

Still I would love if it where possible

addict
addict
Hey Celludriel,

it is definitely possible and you are right, skeletons and animations are the hardest.

We are working on a guide on how to create custom characters. Like the Custom Items Guides we will provide a custom characters guide that explains about our conventions for bones etc. and give some example rig files. Give that a bit of time though - it's a difficult guide to write and the person most knowledgeable is currently taking a short holiday smile

We're also planning on providing our exporters for max/maya to the granny format in a later update so you can convert models to the in-engine format.

Sincerely,
Kevin

CTRL+K the elf
C
OP Offline
C
Nice to hear,

In the meantime I'm learning how to import and export models in different formats in blender and learning how to texture them.

You did say exporters for max and maya. Those are commercial products will we as hobbyist be able to use them then ?

G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by Celludriel
[...]

You did say exporters for max and maya. Those are commercial products will we as hobbyist be able to use them then ?

If the source code for the exporter is open source (if there are no licensing problems due to granny3d) then hopefully someone will convert the script to python for use in Blender.

C
OP Offline
C
Hope so, for the moment I'm trying to learn a bit about models and texturing in blender. I found a model of a twig blight and got it into blender, then I tried texturing it but I noticed it has a high, vertices, faces, edges count. What would be an agreeable count for a model in the game ? Is there a guideline for this ? I found I can decimate the count with a decimate mutator, so that helps. It kinda distorts the model, not by much but it does. At what counts do you say now this model is able to be played ?

stranger
stranger
[quote=Larian_KVN]Hey Celludriel,

it is definitely possible and you are right, skeletons and animations are the hardest.

We are working on a guide on how to create custom characters. Like the [url=http://docs.larian.game/My_first:_Item]Custom Items Guides[/url] we will provide a custom characters guide that explains about our conventions for bones etc. and give some example rig files. Give that a bit of time though - it's a difficult guide to write and the person most knowledgeable is currently taking a short holiday :)

We're also planning on providing our exporters for max/maya to the granny format in a later update so you can convert models to the in-engine format.

Sincerely,
Kevin [/quote]

Hi Kevin,

Great to hear. Granny 3D is a wonderful tool but a bit pricy for hobbist's and indies. Any update on when the exporter for 3DMax will be available?

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard