Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Originally Posted by Sharp

You cannot apply shackles to enemies with phys armour.

That's kind of what I feared.
You also have to add to the equasion that killing an enemy gives you 2 AP, shackling him takes 1 with almost no return.
Also I feel like if enemies die while it is your turn even tho it says +2 AP you don't actually get them when it's your turn.

This basically reduces the usage of shackles to one specific scenario:
One enemy still has hp but no phys armor and on top of that you're surrounded by enemies and want to stop them attacking you.

Late game this won't happen too often, but I wonder how good this is in Act 1 with a purely wepon based build that uses shackles as utility.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Victor_Creed
Originally Posted by Sharp

You cannot apply shackles to enemies with phys armour.

That's kind of what I feared.
You also have to add to the equasion that killing an enemy gives you 2 AP, shackling him takes 1 with almost no return.
Also I feel like if enemies die while it is your turn even tho it says +2 AP you don't actually get them when it's your turn.

This basically reduces the usage of shackles to one specific scenario:
One enemy still has hp but no phys armor and on top of that you're surrounded by enemies and want to stop them attacking you.

Late game this won't happen too often, but I wonder how good this is in Act 1 with a purely wepon based build that uses shackles as utility.

Shackes does have 1 niche cheese usage for solo gameplay, if you can remove the armour from 1 enemy to apply it. Enemies will literally skip their turn to avoid damaging their friend.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Shackles is great in the early and midgame while the game is still not super trivial. I dont plan a build for 15+ i plan it for 1-15 basically because after that you are an immortal god anyway. Executioner will not give u +4 AP if u kill 2 enemies at once. It will only give you 2 until next turn regardless how many you kill.

I have started another solo campaign with Sebille with all this in mind. Finesse was a hell of a lot easier in the early game Compared to INT. Id recommend starting out with a rogue/ranger build and respec into this on the boat. Struggling to get to lvl 4

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Fhursten
Shackles is great in the early and midgame while the game is still not super trivial. I dont plan a build for 15+ i plan it for 1-15 basically because after that you are an immortal god anyway. Executioner will not give u +4 AP if u kill 2 enemies at once. It will only give you 2 until next turn regardless how many you kill.

I have started another solo campaign with Sebille with all this in mind. Finesse was a hell of a lot easier in the early game Compared to INT. Id recommend starting out with a rogue/ranger build and respec into this on the boat. Struggling to get to lvl 4

What I find works best for early game is shadowblade on fane taking chicken claw, backlash and chameleon cloak. Then on the boat, shapeshift to elf, steal the limb off the dead guy and eat it for adrenaline.

From level 1-2, combat is basically:

backlash -> Backstab -> Backstab -> Adrenaline ->Backstab -> Chameleon Cloak and wait 2 turns -> Spam Backstab -> If still not dead, remove 1 dagger and use sucker punch ->backstab next turn.

From 2-4, buy battle stomp+that warfare charge ability and invest 1 point into warfare and 1 point into memory. This gives you a bunch of CCs for the early game. The teleport gloves are useful for lining enemies up to CC many of them at once. Also dump all other points into warfare and all points into finesse. Also, take cloak and dagger.

Level 5 I would put 1 into Aerothurge and take teleport so you can stop using teleport gloves.

Level 6-8 just dump into warfare. Maybe grab Whirlwind. Also start using time warp here.

Level 9: You are now in Reaper's Coast.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V

Hm, maybe my english is just horrible, but I will try one more time. laugh
The 4 AP came from using 2 different abilities each of them should kill at least 1 enemy soe ach of them will give you 2 ap 2+2 = 4. :P

Getting to level 4 is super easy in Fort Joy even without Deatfog barrel, do stuff like the fight with the elf at the gate (Ifan and the elf help you) and quests where you don't even need to fight like yarrow girl, Wither, freeing the elf (here you get another super easy fight with Silence trying to kill the lizard).
You also get a lot of exploration xp if you go into areas where you wanna come back later for fights like the frogs.
(You can even go into the swamp super early, just sneak by the guy who behaves like a churchpreacher and converts an elf into a silent monk on the left side, you don't even need invis for this.
(This will turn the magisters hostile but the effect is not that much different then removing your source collar and they can be easily avoided if you don't wanna fight them.)

Last edited by Victor_Creed; 19/10/17 09:53 PM.
F
journeyman
journeyman
F

Hm, maybe my english is just horrible, but I will try one more time. laugh
The 4 AP came from using 2 different abilities each of them should kill at least 1 enemy soe ach of them will give you 2 ap 2+2 = 4. :P

Getting to level 4 is super easy in Fort Joy even without Deatfog barrel, do stuff like the fight with the elf at the gate (Ifan and the elf help you) and quests where you don't even need to fight like yarrow girl, Wither, freeing the elf (here you get another super easy fight with Silence trying to kill the lizard).
You also get a lot of exploration xp if you go into areas where you wanna come back later for fights like the frogs.
(You can even go into the swamp super early, just sneak by the guy who behaves like a churchpreacher and converts an elf into a silent monk on the left side, you don't even need invis for this.
(This will turn the magisters hostile but the effect is not that much different then removing your source collar and they can be easily avoided if you don't wanna fight them.)

no i get what ur saying man but executioner can only proc once per turn. Nvm that now tho heh.

Yeah ive done most of that but i cant get up to Orivand because i need lvl 4 to get the mobility abilities since i cannot teleport anyone up there because i am solo. Arena is a no go, the frogs raped me, ive killed Stingtail and done all of the quests in the town that i can think of including the crocs and im not even halfway to lvl 4 yet. Id try the fireslugs if my wands was'nt poison+fire >_<.

Anyway, i suddenly felt really bored with the game and i havent played it since yesterday morning.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Use the teleport gloves to get the jail key and then you can go up the stairs to get to the middle part next to Orivand.
(also needed for wither)
I'm pretty sure I've proced Executioner more than once per turn regularly, but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Last edited by Victor_Creed; 20/10/17 09:40 PM.
V
journeyman
journeyman
V
I just checked my footage, not only do you get more than one Exe proc per turn, but also Blood Storm actually procs once per kill.
(Ever since i got Apo I used Blood Storm and it is amazing, much better than Grasp, but with Apo you can use both abilities anyway, not that you'll ever need it, mind you)

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
I just checked my footage, not only do you get more than one Exe proc per turn, but also Blood Storm actually procs once per kill.
(Ever since i got Apo I used Blood Storm and it is amazing, much better than Grasp, but with Apo you can use both abilities anyway, not that you'll ever need it, mind you)

Are you playing an unpatched version?

http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=614653

Where is the key located?

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Nah I'm playing on Steam which patches regularly.
Maybe the footage I reviewed was faulty, since Blood Storm killed everything in one turn (it does that all the tijme so I haven't seen anything else for a while).
The interesting thing is it shows all the 2 AP restored one by one and not all at once because combat ends, I will post a vid a bit later.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
So yeah here's what I looked at yesterday (I was pretty tired tho):

It's kinda strange since it at first shows me getting 4 AP at once, then 2 AP twice and then the fight is over anyway.
If not all enemies died I might have only gotten 2 AP or maybe even my turn would have ended...

Last edited by Victor_Creed; 21/10/17 11:11 AM.
V
journeyman
journeyman
V
So yeah, I had a couple of fights in Act 3 where the enemies are to spread out to kill them in one turn and I now can confirm you don't get more AP per turn than 2, it only procs once so nothing wrong with my game version, just an observation error from my side.

veteran
veteran
I'm starting up a solo run with Ifan as a Crossbow-using Summoner/Huntsman/Necro. Probably with a splash into other things.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Originally Posted by Stabbey
I'm starting up a solo run with Ifan as a Crossbow-using Summoner/Huntsman/Necro. Probably with a splash into other things.

Yeah Ifan with finesse is a great starting character for solo because of the xbow he gets. I believe Finesse is the way to go until u can respec and get more spell/ability options in ACT regardless of what build ur planning. INT is just so underwhelming early on. =(

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
INT with elemental is not that bad in Act 1 until you get to the witch.
But since you can't respec before the witch I'd still advise going either Finesse or ST.
(witch is totally beatable with magic tho, just don't use fire.)

veteran
veteran
Yeah, I chose the Wayfarer preset, kept the +2 FIN and then changed the +1 INT to +1 Wits for treasure detection and crit chance, then picked Summoning and Necromancer as my starting schools, and chose the standard summoner starting skills, picking up Huntsman at level 2 so I can use Tactical Retreat and other Marksman skills. I've taken Persuasion and Lucky Charm as my level 1 and 2 Civil skills, but I'll probably put all future points into Persuasion.

Or is it best to only put all your points into Persuasion from the start because LW doesn't affect Civil points at all?

Last edited by Stabbey; 23/10/17 01:34 PM.
H
stranger
stranger
H
Not many solo hardcore players around here - too bad.

After dozens of restarts i have come to the conclusion that only heavy self restrictions will save the game from getting too easy. Even my naked no LW/GC-Beggar-Style-Mage got too boring somewhere in Act 2 and i stopped it again.

At the moment i am thinking about a Source Slayer run that uses the same restrictions as the Wizard Slayer in BG. No magic at all except for magical weapons, helms and body armor. And surely no LW as its borderline OP. With Polymorph - but without Invisibilty Cheese - this maybe could make Tactic Mode finally interesting again. Maybe i will give it a try in the next days.

BtW: Has anyone tried out a minimal-kill-run? I stopped mine in Act 2 and am wondering what the minimum number of kills would be at the end.

If you're saying that you play Honor solo naked no LW with no cheese and you find it too easy, I call bs. The monsters will hit you unless you constantly retreat, cloak, stealth and abuse out of combat attacks (cheese) and you will die.

H
stranger
stranger
H
The thread was about Tactic Mode - as my previous post. ;o)

And yes: Naked runs are forced to cheese a lot - another reason why i stopped it. Thats why i am searching for a sweet spot between maximum challenge and minimum cheese - whatever cheese is. But thats another story! *G*

You said "not many solo hardcore players around here - too bad" I took hardcore to mean Honor difficulty mode.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard