Next Thread
Print Thread
#628077 08/10/17 07:01 AM
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
So, the XP changes have me a little worried..

I'm a "casual" player - I play on Classic mode and don't use min/maxed optimal builds or any cheeses during fights. I find that the difficulty level of the game while fighting equal-leveled enemies is perfectly challenging for my taste.

I'm on my first playthough right now and struggling to reach level 20 in Arx so that I can fight the main encounters. So I definitely have not "out-leveled" the content by any means. Sure, I skipped some side quests in Act 2, but not a whole lot - I thought the game was designed in a way that you could take several different paths, so I purposely left some stuff for a 2nd play through.

In a post on reddit, someone mentioned that the first voidling fight in Reapers Coast doesn't even grant any XP anymore.

This worries me because I don't subsequent playthroughs to feel like a grind where you have to complete everything in the act just to get enough XP to advance. That is going to kill the replayability of the game. (Also, it would feel really bad to win a fight and gain 0 XP..)

Can anyone confirm if the amount of XP reduction is enough for the average player like me to feel worried?

R
R
Please hotfix. Cutting xp is fine. Focus on side quests make main questing still viable.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Yes, fix this asap please. This has me at a dead stop in the game as I got off the ship at level 8, almost 9 and am getting 0 xp. No point in even going further into Driftwood if the crap I kill isn't giving me xp.

journeyman
journeyman
With quests it's easy to get OP in driftwood. However, if your not a completionist or story focused, I can see this being a problem.

I wonder how they could address this though. Maybe change your difficulty? I think they need one more difficulty level between explorer and classic. And ideally between tactician and honour. The game is by design meant to be difficult. So classic is going to be quite a challenge.

Have you looked at any mods for the game? I know different mods have addressed or are working on addressing more versatile play styles.

"Keep distant, My own demons still haunt me too closely. I cannot also bear the burden of yours."
M
stranger
stranger
M
If you're playing on classic, you should just lower the difficulty to explorer if you can't pass certain encounters. If you don't want to lower the difficulty or are playing on tactician, then just find creative ways to deal with encounters, respec your characters. Abuse environment. Pull mobs into chokes. Pickpocket NPCs to get gold/better gear. This game becomes very easy if you start to slightly min max.

Originally Posted by Lady Cassandra
And ideally between tactician and honour.

wat? Honour has no difference between tactician exept only 1 savefile

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
It could definite be a problem for casual players.

Sure, you will be overleveled later in the game. However, you are expected to be underleveled when you just arrive on reaper's coast. I have to explore and do all quests that do not require combat to catch up before I am able to finish higher level contents. It would be unwise to nerf exp gain at this point.
Larian should have nerfed the exp gain from contents in Nameless isle and Arx instead. There are definity ways to cheese arount this like:
Lava patch at cloisterwood + terrain transmution

but people would have a harder time if they don't like it.

Last edited by sehnsucht; 09/10/17 06:16 AM.
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
I don't want to lower the difficulty - like I said, the difficulty of encounters with same-level mobs is totally fine.. And I'm not exactly skipping content/story to rush through the game. I just don't want to have to clear the *entire* map on every single playthrough (when it's clearly designed for you to only need 3 source points out of 5 possible source masters), just to keep up level-wise.

D
stranger
stranger
D
The player should not have to change their difficulty because Larian over-nerfed. We were perfectly happy with exp in Reapers Coast the way it was. Also, I had not seen a single player request saying "nerf Reapers Coast please". This was a screw up on Larians part trying to fix a "problem" that did not exist.

I can't believe that there is anyone who believes you should have a pitched battle with Voidwoken and come away with 0 exp, that is just lazy programing and a insult to the player.

journeyman
journeyman
Taking out all exp. is wrong and looks like a glitch!
That's first time you are not getting any exp. for killing hostile monster.
More that this, it's pure BS, giving 1000 exp in first act near sanctuary for each of 18 Vicious Voidlings, or 10400 exp. just for mere exploration of "trial for all seasons" and 0 for fine fight.
Who manages all this? The person is not doing great.

Last edited by Eugen; 09/10/17 12:39 PM.
veteran
veteran
I don't think this nerf is working as intended. It might be best for people to hold off on their playthroughs before doing anything at all after arriving in Act 2.

Originally Posted by Stabbey
I don't think this nerf is working as intended. It might be best for people to hold off on their playthroughs before doing anything at all after arriving in Act 2.

I just avoided this encounter and set marker "no exp" on the map )

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard