Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I just took that talent to test out something...and found that, not only what I had in mind doesn't work, but the talent doesn't work properly at all.

I tried a bunch of different foods and potions. It doesn't work on potions like Wit Potions or Fire Resistance Potions. It *sort of* works on Dinner, which increases Strength by 2 instead of 1. But the duration expires INSTANTLY - even during combat - although it's supposed to be 5 turns.

EDIT: After some more testing, I found that, it does work on fish. It still doesn't work on potions like stat potions or Physical/Magic Armor Potions. Also, apparently in the case of Fane, the duration of food expires instantly. Probably something to do with the fact that he takes damage instead of healing. This is a separate issue though, nothing to do with Fire-Star Diner.

So anyway, Five-Star Diner not working on all potions? (In fact, I think it doesn't work on potions at all???)

Last edited by Try2Handing; 08/10/17 03:04 PM.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
It works only with food. Not all consumables are "food"

veteran
veteran
It is called Five-Star-Dinner. Dinner is something to eat.

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Originally Posted by Sergey Butsenov
It works only with food. Not all consumables are "food"

Originally Posted by Kalrakh
It is called Five-Star-Dinner. Dinner is something to eat.
[Linked Image]
I love that people just read the name of the talent and assume they know exactly how its supposed to work. Btw, read the tool tip, op is right though, this is supposed to work with potions.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
^ This

I was also about to point out that the description clearly says "and potions".

It's a bummer for sure, but mostly what I'm "complaining" about is the fact that what the skill does doesn't match the description.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 08/10/17 10:18 PM.

veteran
veteran
Five Star Diner has always been worthless, but it's even more worthless in D:OS 2, because food retains the exact same worthless single-point boosts as in D:OS 1, but now a single attribute point is worth 25% of what it was worth in D:OS 1, if not less.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
True. If it worked on potions too, it would have been less useless. But since it works only on foods, why take that talent just to get a 2-point Strength boost out of Dinner, when you can easily get an 11-point boost from a medium potion, *without* needing any talent?

Seriously, while this game is awesome, a lot of things in it just don't make sense. I wonder from what angle the devs were looking from when they were working on those things.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 09/10/17 12:19 PM.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
there are a lot of really bad talents no one should ever take, this is just one of them

although this one in particular does feel like it was intentionally put in as a gag

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hey now that you've put it that way...

Maybe all those "funny" build choices were there in case someone finds Tactician mode is nowhere near hard enough. Next level: Tactician playthrough, with only the crappiest talents/skills, no armor, no shield, broken ladle only, no bonfire, no death.

Man this takes me back...

Last edited by Try2Handing; 09/10/17 12:37 PM.

veteran
veteran
They tweaked a bunch of talents from D:OS1, but apparently this one got over unscathed even though there was a 100% anonimous agreement it was pure and total trash.

Not surprise if it's buginess passed literally everyone since nobody would honestly take this.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Try2Handing
True. If it worked on potions too, it would have been less useless. But since it works only on foods, why take that talent just to get a 2-point Strength boost out of Dinner, when you can easily get an 11-point boost from a medium potion, *without* needing any talent?

Because that isn't why you take it. 5-Star Dinner w/Dwarven or Elven Stew gives you back 40% health with 1 AP and zero cooldown, plus the small boost you come to think it is good for. That is the strongest/cheapest heal in the game I believe. The stews are super simple to make, cook meat/fish etc = dinner, combine dinner with a beer, which are unlimited from beer barrels and the mugs don't expire. I can easily put 100 of each in 4 players, which that should last most a whole game. I found it very powerful, very.

What is giving you back near 100% health with 2 bubbles, anytime you want and such a low low cost?

veteran
veteran
Isn't Dwarven Stew still bugged to LOSE 5% health when you add alcohol to dinner, so it gives only 10% compared to the 15% of a plain dinner?

If so, it seems kinda suspicious that you're claiming that it actually gives +20% health normally.

Last edited by Stabbey; 08/11/17 01:44 PM.
veteran
veteran
Last I checked, yeah, adding alcohol to a dinner is only creating a weaker item. Which makes no sense what-so-ever.

old hand
old hand
Mine is doubling when adding beer, but then perhaps I fixed it while modding. I'd have to test without, if so, then I understand the complaint much more. I guess when you start playing a modified version, things start to blur.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Hmmmm. Maybe it got fixed or maybe it's just for dwarves. I just ate "dinner" The descrription says +2 STR, +10% healing, but it gave me +4 STR and 20% healing!

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard