Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
So using the wiki script provided by Larian we got a huge, helpful head-start on character creation. Some of us did find that it was not working for multiplayer though. The connecting users were ending up in a scratchpad terrain location on the "SYS_Character_Creation_A" level, with a party of all the dummy and generic origins but no assigned character and definitely no character creation.

In any case, I think I have located the issue. Look for this block of code:

Code
PROC
ProcAssignDummyToUser((CHARACTERGUID)_Dummy,(STRING)_UserName)
AND
NOT DB_AvailableDummy(_Dummy)
THEN
CharacterMakePlayer(_Dummy, NULL_00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000);

PROC
AND
NOT DB_AvailableDummy(_Dummy)
AND
CharacterAddToCharacterCreation(_Dummy,0,1)
THEN
DB_AssignedDummyForUser(_UserName,_Dummy);

The problem seems to be the NOT DB_AvailableDummy() entries. I believe we should remove the NOT. I got multiplayer to work by changing these calls to the following:

Code
PROC
AND
DB_AvailableDummy(_Dummy)
THEN
CharacterMakePlayer(_Dummy, NULL_00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000);

PROC
AND
DB_AvailableDummy(_Dummy)
AND
CharacterAddToCharacterCreation(_Dummy,0,1)
THEN
DB_AssignedDummyForUser(_UserName,_Dummy);

For those who prefer graphical diffs
[Linked Image]

I think the problem was that they copied code from GLOBAL_CharacterCreation of the Origins campaign to implement ProcAssignDummyToUser(), but they never initialized the DB_AvailableDummy database entries with all the dummies in Origins like they do in our wiki script, so they would not have encountered this.

Either way, if you're having problems with multiplayer character creation give these above changes a shot and see if it helps. Or if you have any other insights, by all means share them here.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Which file is this code located in? I can't seem to find anything even close to it, just a handful of ProcAssignDummyToUser((CHARACTERGUID)_Dummy,(STRING)_UserName) but thats about it.

Edit: Found it in _BasicCC_CharacterCreation, but that file doesn't even use the aforementioned database. Are you speaking of implementing CharacterCreation in a different manner?

Last edited by Toomuchbob; 09/10/17 01:31 AM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I provided a link to the wiki section where Larian gave us a script to do character creation. I'm addressing that script, e.g., character creation template

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Ahh, I assumed you were referencing

https://docs.larian.game/Basic_Character_Creation

That zip does things a bit differently then the script you used. Any idea how to modify that to work instead? There's too much in there for me, still.

addict
addict
I updated the script accordingly smile
Thanks again Windemere

CTRL+K the elf
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Nevermind, I took the script fresh off the wiki again and now it is working smile

I have an issue with those changes for my standalone adventure (that is dependent on GM mode):

single player character creation works fine and the game starts correctly

Multiplayer character creation itself works, but then my adventure starts in the main story at "The Hold" again (like it used until Windemere suggested to use this character creation script + an empty GLO_GamerMasterCharacterCreation)

Windemere, have you got this working with a standalone adventur that is importing GM Mode?

Last edited by Reltzu; 11/10/17 02:08 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Ah no, I did not try that configuration.

When you updated to this character creation script, did you also add those GM related objects to the INIT script that I mentioned back at the time? I can't think what would be different other than some timing issues I encountered in multiplayer versus singleplayer.

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Ah, great!

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
I actually had to remove those GM related lines you mentioned before. So the vanilla script from the wiki + an empty GLO_GameMasterCharacterCreation script did the trick.

Link Copied to Clipboard