Print Thread
#629389 10/10/17 05:18 PM
R
Rayner Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
As I progress through my physical party playthrough, I'm thinking about what I'd do for a magical party playthrough and what potential mods could be made to fix some of the issues that exist for magic users in this game.

1. Remove magical resistances from the game. There are no physical resistances, which is one reason why physical teams are strictly better than magical ones.

2. Change magic schools (Pyro, Geo, etc.) to add 5% to all magical damage, capping out at 50% (higher from gear boosts). This balances the magic schools against Warfare, which consolodates all of its (considerable) power into a single tree, when mages are expected to branch into one tree for movement, another for damage, abother for CC, etc.

3. Allow the Ranged skill to affect Staff damage.

4. Scale magic damage with weapon damage. Magical attackers cap out at 40 Int and 10 Pyro/Geo/Whatever. Physical attackers continue to scale with weapon damage once they cap Strength/Finesse and 10 Warfare/Ranged/Whatever.

This is all I can think of at the moment. Any thoughts on which are currently possible? Any other balance ideas? Is anyone currently working on something like this?

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
You can hinder physical with evasion. The problem is that its barely used in the game and the spell only lasts 1 round. There is at least 1 NPC in the game that has a permanent evasion aura which makes her hard to hit (50/50).

I did not have a problem finishing the game with magic but you are right, it is far slower than physical. If I have time I want to make a overhaul to balance things out better but I simply dont have time right now. I need to prep assignment and tests for next quarters programming class and then finish up a solar install for my parents before working on mods lol.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I must be the mean type of modder because my solutions to the listed problems were creating more enemies with evasion and nerfing warfare instead of buffing magic.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Nah, I agree Asyrin, physical is just OP at the moment.

R
Rayner Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Originally Posted by Marc54
You can hinder physical with evasion. The problem is that its barely used in the game and the spell only lasts 1 round. There is at least 1 NPC in the game that has a permanent evasion aura which makes her hard to hit (50/50).

I did not have a problem finishing the game with magic but you are right, it is far slower than physical. If I have time I want to make a overhaul to balance things out better but I simply dont have time right now. I need to prep assignment and tests for next quarters programming class and then finish up a solar install for my parents before working on mods lol.
Right now I'm setting all magic resistance values to 0 for characters, armor, and potions.

I don't think buffing dodge throughout the game would be a better option, as most people find missing to be extremely frustrating.

Perhaps NPC health could be increased by some small amount to compensate.

Making spells scale with weapons should be easy in theory, it's just a flag on the skill, but right now the damage range of skills isn't balanced for that to be the case, which is where the difficulty will come in.

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard