Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Jan 2009
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jan 2009
Originally Posted by CatR


Because when all abilities are roughly around the same power level every ability is satisfying, rather than just a handful abilities or tactics which are disproportionally powerful. I could flip it around again and say "If every build can go through Tactician why care that it got nerfed?" but I think we both agree that this sort of argumentation is sort of purposeless and circular. I get why you don't want things to be nerfed, it's not fun when a tactic you've enjoyed becomes less effective because of mechanical interference; but I would advocate for appreciating it because overreliance on the tactic is barring you from enjoying all the other tactics.

(Snip)

Singleplayer balancing means that no one strategy homogenises the game and cheapens it. You can choose not to use them, yeah, but wouldn't you rather that you never even had to make that choice because EVERY approach was rewarding?

(Snip)

So to ME all I'm seeing is that what was the optimal strategy is removed and replaced with multiple equally viable strategies, which INCREASE freedom of choice.


I agree with this line of thinking.

Joined: Sep 2017
K
stranger
Offline
stranger
K
Joined: Sep 2017
Originally Posted by CatR
Because when all abilities are roughly around the same power level every ability is satisfying, rather than just a handful abilities or tactics which are disproportionally powerful.


Absolutely false. Abilities are satisfying to use when they are actually satisfying to use, not when everything is crippled to the same lowest common denominator. It doesn't matter how balanced things are versus each other if they ALL feel like shit to use.

When we cast most magic in this game we feel painfully underwhelmed because most of it is some combination of too much AP, too little damage, too small of an AoE, too long of a cooldown, or friendly fire making it basically unusable outside of LW play. You could delete physical from the game, magic is the only thing left to use, and it would still feel like shit to use.

Joined: Sep 2017
member
Offline
member
Joined: Sep 2017
Originally Posted by Kierlak
Originally Posted by CatR
Because when all abilities are roughly around the same power level every ability is satisfying, rather than just a handful abilities or tactics which are disproportionally powerful.


Absolutely false. Abilities are satisfying to use when they are actually satisfying to use, not when everything is crippled to the same lowest common denominator. It doesn't matter how balanced things are versus each other if they ALL feel like shit to use.

When we cast most magic in this game we feel painfully underwhelmed because most of it is some combination of too much AP, too little damage, too small of an AoE, too long of a cooldown, or friendly fire making it basically unusable outside of LW play. You could delete physical from the game, magic is the only thing left to use, and it would still feel like shit to use.


Perhaps you should consider the possibility that the average value of the ability already being at a level you are satisfied with is a possibility, making outliers in tone with the average has no bearing on the average being satisfying. We could set an arbitrary level of what we could consider satisfying DPAP, let's say Barrage with Elemental Arrows, it's 4AP for X amount of value. From here-on every ability will be balanced around the principle that every AP is worth 1\4th of an X.

You can change this X/4 to anything that is satisfactory to you, whether it is 1 damage at level 20, or 10 000 damage at level 1. Whichever you want to use as an example, whichever you think is personally satisfying. Unless you mean satisfaction can only come from comparative increased value. That X/4 is your bread and butter, but it is only satisfying to use an ability if its DPAP is above 1\4th of X. In which case I can but suggest that there has yet to be a nerfing of source abilities, which would be your source of such powerful DPAP abilities.

After all we are dealing in subjective and relational properties.


Trap Strats: DOS1:EE? Cheese - DOS2? Mashed potatoes - Proper nutrition is key to dungeon delving.
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Duchess of Gorgombert
Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Originally Posted by CatR
Originally Posted by vometia
...things...
...very many more things, well argued, but so very, very many...

I shall have to get back to you on that since I have all the concentration of a carrot. I'll start off with the amusing bits but right now my response is a slightly underwhelming "argh".


J'aime le fromage.
Joined: Jan 2011
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Jan 2011
I feel Larian should do their best to balance the game. Since released, we are now down to balancing what is there, you can't make major systems changes now. We can as alluded to, go in and make a change to whatever we like in terms of skills.

Joined: Oct 2017
L
stranger
Offline
stranger
L
Joined: Oct 2017
Originally Posted by CatR
Don't you mean defending NOT nerfing?


If they don't enjoy having a free pass through games due to godmode and the likes, it essentially means they shouldn't argue against nerfs to bring the game into balance.

Originally Posted by Ferrin
So anyone who does NOT like godmode and one-shotting things falls under this category, and their posts are meaningless?

At CatR: I completely and wholeheartedly agree with your post of incentives and choices.


Yes. You cannot argue against nerfs that resolves issues that trilializes the game by saying it's a single player game, while at the same time not enjoying Godemode (something that trilializes a game). It's completely hypocritical.


Last edited by Lenny2k3; 11/10/17 05:14 PM.
Joined: Sep 2017
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Sep 2017
Originally Posted by Lenny2k3
Originally Posted by CatR
Don't you mean defending NOT nerfing?


If they don't enjoy having a free pass through games due to godmode and the likes, it essentially means they shouldn't argue against nerfs to bring the game into balance.

Originally Posted by Ferrin
So anyone who does NOT like godmode and one-shotting things falls under this category, and their posts are meaningless?

At CatR: I completely and wholeheartedly agree with your post of incentives and choices.


Yes. You cannot argue against nerfs that resolves issues that trilializes the game by saying it's a single player game, while at the same time not enjoying Godemode (something that trilializes a game). It's completely hypocritical.



Yes, but someone who answers no to both of those questions is not a hypocrite, so I think you need to re-read your post where you ask that question. wink

Joined: Jul 2017
C
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
C
Joined: Jul 2017
Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
Originally Posted by Benny89
You gave us Editor to play with. It takes around 10 min to learn how to edit stats in game.


They hate mods and want to punish you for using them by making it so you can't earn petty little super secret Steam achievements.

Seriously though, why disable them and why are they even hidden? What a weird, random thing to do to something so petty.


You only need to ask the hardcore playerbase

Joined: Jan 2017
C
member
Offline
member
C
Joined: Jan 2017
Originally Posted by Draco359
@Beny this is a multiplayer game that can be played in single player. PvP can happen in this game should you and your friends decide to compete againts each other.

Things get very competitive in Driftwood where story driven kill quests for your companions start to intertwine (see Sebile and Ifan,the guy who gets to start the fight with Roost gets to have his quest progressed further).


You say that like anyone should use the story characters or care about the petty in fighting the game tries to force

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Nicou 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5