Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
The main reason is my character never feels like my own. Sure, there are some other little issues I have, but really, the character creation and progression really kills it for me. I feel like my character is always a template which I can't really mold into what I want.

So I wanted to play a rogue type character. When you think of a rogue, you think of sneaking in, pickpocketing the target, then double dagger-ing his liver or something. When you're in town, you think of a person who can talk their way out of every situation, swindle vendors for cheap goods, luck always on their side, etc.

Right out of the gate, a rogue should have sneaking, thievery, persuasion, lucky charm, bartering. But the way the civil abilities system works, you can't have a baseline rogue character until level 10 at the very earliest. And the way sneaking works, it's nearly useless in combat, which means you almost have to spec into something else that gives you invisibility... especially early game.

Now think about it from the perspective of a character with a backstory. If you pick Sebille, you have a history of being a rogue/spy/assassin... except you're not really any of those. You just happen to start with a few "rogue" combat skills. Which would be fine if you were a novice rogue... except you have a backstory and everything.

Don't get me wrong, the world is great, the environmental interactions are great, but if my character never really feels like the character I want to be, there's no real incentive for me to do anything other than the main storyline.

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Hey, Hexo, i am going to avoid arguing with you regarding the character creation and the rogue archetype, even though i really want to...

But your problem with the game is actually very, very easy to fix!

1. Get a mod that lets you have more civic ability points. There are a few, for example, one of them adds 5 civic points to the all skilled up talent, that you can get as early as level 2.

There are other mods out there that let you have even more civic points without spending a feat, if you search, but those usually also come with extra combat points at start.

Can find it on Steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1158306786&searchtext=skilled+up

or on the Nexus:

https://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsin2/mods/130/?

Note that there have been some reports that it works best if your character did not have all skilled up talent before. There are some workarounds with respeccing out of it if you already had it when installing the mod, but I am not sure how well that works.

2. Get a mod that reduces ap cost of sneaking in combat

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1138558934&searchtext=combat+sneaking

Also can find it on Nexus, though you need to read the comments section on the mod about correct installation. The install path in the original description is wrong. (steam is fine)

https://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsin2/mods/21/?

Last edited by rheia; 12/10/17 08:02 AM.
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Yea such a character would basically negate the need for social skills on the rest of the team.

Honestly, only DnD lets rogues be the way you describe because they received a lot of skill points (allowing them to get sneak, steal, etc) but they get the skill points in trade for hit accuracy, defense and consistent damage output. This is not the case here where a rogue can actually match the damage output of a 2H warrior while also sporting a shield making them excellent tanks.

I generally prefer the sandbox style progression where you can do anything you want rather than being forced into a narrow set of ideologies but I do admit that I also loved the NWN DnD classes and figuring out the best combinations to build a monster character.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard